Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Storm Lake Bbl And Loss Of Velocity

Unleashed

I put a storm lake bbl in my G22 and it has been working great. The accuracy is very nice (not that it was a problem before, I just wanted more case support).

The problem I am having is an apparent loss in velocity. I was clocking my major load right before the L10 Nationals and found that I was about 30fps slower than normal, prompting me to bump up the charge. I am running into the same problem with my Production load. Even with rounds that I have chrono'd before, I am losing about 30fps. Has anyone else experienced this type of thing with an aftermarket bbl? I am going to put the factory bbl back in and do some testing but I wanted to get some opinions so I don't lose too much sleep over it.

Thanks,

Edwin

Edited by Unleashed

30 fps slower is not all that bad. I have tested several aftermarket barrels for 9mm major and have seen velocities 120 fps slower than a Glock barrel. The polygonal rifling in the Glock barrel creates less drag on the bullet than conventional rifling does. If the accuracy of your new barrel is good, just bump up the load a bit and live with it.

Larry

I had 2 Storm Lake barrels that came off of the line next to each other. They were

in 2 Glock 17 Open guns, with identical barrel porting and very similar comps.

Those two barrels with identical ammo were about 40 fps apart. You have changed

rifling systems along with barrel brands. I'm suprised it's only 30 fps!

That does make sense and I'm glad I found the culprit. It was no big deal when I was shooting a major load (the difference in felt recoil was negligible) but with my minor loads, I can tell a huge difference!

I think for Production I will just put the factory bbl in. The accuracy was just fine but I had a case head separation from shooting Clays+PMC brass so the Storm Lake bbl was there for support more than anything.

Thanks for the replies!

KKM bbls have the same issue..about 25-40 fps slower.

My understanding of the faster velocity out of a stock glock bbl is that the I.D. of the stock bbls decreases slightly as it gets closer to the crown. It screws the bullet into the rifling creating a better bite and less pressure loss equating to slightly higher velocity.

I confirmed the actual velocity lost today in a side by side comparison:

165 Zero FMJ

3.4 gr Clays

Win Small Pistol Primer

1.135 OAL

Starline Brass

Storm Lake bbl: Avg Velocity=740

Glock Factory bbl: Avg Velocity=805!

Needless to say, I will be shooting my factory bbl at the Nationals. I re-clocked my major loads from the L-10 Nats and it made a 181PF in the stock bbl. The Storm Lake was 175PF!

Just some food for thought when you change bbls.

I bought Storm Lake's 40 to 9mm conversion for my G35.

I don't have velocities to compare, but the accuracy was very poor.

My 3" groups at 25 yards became 6" +.

Has any one else had such experience?

Not exactly the same but.....I started an open gun build in 38 super with a storm lake barrel that I bought through this forum. During fitting the smith said the barrel lugs cut like butter. We proceeded anyway and after 1000 rounds of break in, the wear was so bad we pulled out the barrel and replaced it. Soft is an understatement :(

Not exactly the same but.....I started an open gun build in 38 super with a storm lake barrel that I bought through this forum. During fitting the smith said the barrel lugs cut like butter. We proceeded anyway and after 1000 rounds of break in, the wear was so bad we pulled out the barrel and replaced it. Soft is an understatement :(

Wow, that is terrible, did you contact storm lake about it? I had 2 of their barrels in my glock and they were great.

• 2 weeks later...
I bought Storm Lake's 40 to 9mm conversion for my G35.

I don't have velocities to compare, but the accuracy was very poor.

My 3" groups at 25 yards became 6" +.

Has any one else had such experience?

I've had the opposite experience with Firedragon aftermarket 40 to 9mm barrels in my Glock 35 and SIG226.

A 6" group indicates something is VERY wrong.