Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally won the Open match

ErikW

I won, for the first time, the Open division overall at the Richmond Hot Shots championship match today. This is a competitive club with several As and Masters capable of winning the match. I've been the first A frequently, and I often win a stage, but I have never won the Open overall before today. I beat the Area 1 Open champion by less than one-half percent, 644 match points to 641. I finished no higher than second on a stage, but no worse than fourth. I dropped no fewer than three points on a stage, no more than six. (One 12-round classifier speed shoot and field courses of 26, 31, 36, and 38 rounds.)

I couldn't run after screwing up my leg riding my dirt bike Friday. (The rest of my body hurt, too, and I was tired.) That's right, I won a freakin' IPSC match running no faster than an arthritic old man with a walker, so I don't want to hear any more shjt about how you have to be a track star to win at this game.

P.S. I owe it all to the Slide Glide Light and the Twinkie parts.

There is something to be said for consistently and efficiently getting all of the points across the target faces. You proved that. Congrats. I bet squatting, kneeling, going prone, and the 20 yard dashes hurt.

When you are an arthritic old man with a walker you should have enough match experience to rule at the Open Nationals. Bet you can hardly wait. ;)

Au contraire, Flex, the few points I dropped had some nice groups. On a long target laying sideways, I grouped two Cs below the flopped-over A zone. On the classifier, Body Guard, I grouped two Bs low left in the head-only target, from separate passes at the target. On the close hoser targets I bracketed the A zones perfectly.

Anyway it just goes to show the tortoise sometimes beats the hares. (The hares had misses.) Out of 715 possible points, I dropped maybe 25 points, so I shot about 96.5% of the available points.

BSeevers, what is thy bidding, master?

I got my award after the match: congratulations from my fellow competitors.

I just realized I was trying to talk the stage 4 CRO into a penalty in lieu of the course requirement. (Start position was a few yards away from the gun; I didn't think I could make it.) If I had taken a penalty, I wouldn't have won.