Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why No Clear Primer Filler Tubes?

It would be nice to be able to scan the tube and spot any upside down primers. Is there a worry about static electricity and clear plastic tubes? You can ground plastic. Dimensional stability??

Seems like a no brainer to me.

George

Edited by gspam1

Drop one loaded with primers and somehow one goes off. Clear plastic makes schrapnel, aluminum not so much. That is the biggest reason I can think of, durability is the other big reason. Dillon replaces this stuff for free forever, even if you or I happen to be a ham fisted hammer monkey.

I think it is a great idea, and I would like some too!

Long, long ago, (the early '80s) we used clear plastic pickup tubes with a brass pickup end on it. The recurring problem was that the dimensional tolerances of the plastic would vary enough to allow primers to flip, especially after the tubes got warm, say from shipping from Arizona to anywhere else. A change was made by 1984 to the aluminum tubes. :ph34r:

The brass pickup end sounds interesting. I noticed that over time the plastic ones seem to weaken and spread a little bit so that when I start nearing a full tube the weight of the primers in the tube tries to push them back out. I've temporarily solved this problem by putting a rubber band around the flaps on the pickup end but it's hard to get that tension adjusted properly to allow them to pass in easily enough but not come back out. Anyway, not really a complaint because the things are cheap enough to replace, just some user feedback.

John

Dillion:

I wonder about a steel tube with a thin notch milled length wise so you could see the primer orientation? Should be stiff enough even with the "sighting gap". I know the aluminum ones are relatively cheap, but I bet most people would pay real money for ones they could double check visually.

I'll make one in the shop and test it out. What brand and shade of blue paint matches the Dillon blue?

Thanks,

George

I capped off a whole tube of primers on my 1050 (only once!) I was very glad I had a steel tube around the primers! I'll live with an overturned primer or two....

Mick

Mick,

No argument there. I wasn't very clear. I'm talking about the pickup tubes to load the press with.

George

I've temporarily solved this problem by putting a rubber band around the flaps on the pickup end but it's hard to get that tension adjusted properly to allow them to pass in easily enough but not come back out.

John

John,

You might see if the local orthodontis ( if it ain't spelt rite, it means teeth straitener :) ) might have some of those small rubber bands they use on braces. They are very small. Just an idea.

FWIW

dj

Dillion:

I wonder about a steel tube with a thin notch milled length wise so you could see the primer orientation? Should be stiff enough even with the "sighting gap". I know the aluminum ones are relatively cheap, but I bet most people would pay real money for ones they could double check visually.

I would think cost would be a factor in that one. I just pay attention to what I am doing and they all go into the tube just right. I have had more problems with primers flipping in the feed system than I have in the pick up tube it self. Also I just looked at each individual primer when I used the pick up tube so why would I want to try to see down a little slot to see if one was turned. I can see that when I inspect my ammo.

I noticed you asked if plastic can be grounded. I am a union electrician for about 14 years. The answer to that is no they cannot be grounded.

Jerry,

As you say, common plastic is not conductive. There are many kinds of special plastic that are conductive. They are either coated or are carbon impregneated. The storage boxes and handling equipmpent used by the semiconductor industry are conductive so they do not store static charge. Completed semiconductors are stored in "static-proof" plastic boxes, bags and tubes. If static charge is a concern, plastic can be made safe.

A google search for "conductive plastic" showed 2,860,000 hits! Here is just one:

http://www.indplastic.com/index.cfm?id=126...e&pageid=74

Later,

Chuck

I would think cost would be a factor in that one. I just pay attention to what I am doing and they all go into the tube just right. I have had more problems with primers flipping in the feed system than I have in the pick up tube it self. Also I just looked at each individual primer when I used the pick up tube so why would I want to try to see down a little slot to see if one was turned. I can see that when I inspect my ammo.

Actually, I was thinking of using the RF100 to prefill multiple pick-up tubes. Then with the view slot, I could see if any primers were upside down.

George

Edited by gspam1