Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Arrendondo springs for STI/SV mags

Byron Simpson

I'm still pretty new to the Limited gun game.  What are your thoughts about Arrendondo springs, followers and basepads in .40 S&W STI or SV 140mm mags?

I bought some used mags that need rebuilding and want to make sure I make an educated decision on the parts.  I am leaning towards Grams springs and followers with Dawson basepads, but the Arredondo parts are much less expensive, so they are tempting me.  

(Edited by Byron Simpson at 2:11 pm on Dec. 26, 2001)

Byron,

I currently use 4 SVI  and 2 STI tubes. All magazines have Arrendondo (red) followers, ISMI springs, and Arrendondo flat base pads. I have had great success so far with no problems. However, I have to admit that I just sent off 1 SVI and 1 STI mag to Beven Grams at Grams Engineering. He is going to put both mags back in specs, install his follower, spring, and base pad on both of them.

I will then test them to see how they work and function and make sure they are reliable. Plus, he makes them legally hold 20 rounds of .40 and run perfect. I have to say, his reputation is flawless from everything I've heard, read, and everyone I've talked to. From talking to him on the phone, he definitely seems to know his sh*t when it comes to mags.

Give me a little bit to test them when I get them back and I'll let you know. I'm sure I will be extremely happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Byron,

This is my first installment when testing the Grams parts, and tuning. First off, Beven is a hell of nice guy and has a lot of info on tuning mags and what makes them work.

Second, I got my mags back tuned and ready to "race" very quickly. They look great and the mods he made to them look fantastic. I shot them yesterday at the range for a quick practice session.

I loaded the mags up all the way and shot 80 rounds out of each one (2 of them). Functioning was flawless, perfect, no jams of any kind. So far they are working out great, I'll let you know.

I've been using Arrendono springs in all of my 140mm mags with good results for over a year now.  So far I think I've only replaced one of them for fatigue.  I don't baby my mags, I load them up full and keep them that way all day.  They don't go in my belt unless they are full, no mistakes that way!

I've also had good results with his followers in both .38 and .40.  

My experiences with ISMI springs has been pretty mixed.  The first sets worked great, subsequent sets have been disappointing.  They fatigue very quickly between the second and third coil.  They also twist pretty badly, the Arrendondo springs don't get all twisted up.

I am glad to read about the positive comments on Arendondo springs and followers. Ordered the new +3 extensions in .40 for Glock and Ralph has sended a follower to. I am prparing my Glock 35 for IPSC standard division. Beven will send me also a couple of spring kits As soon he can machine the glockfollowers he is waiting for.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Detlef, sorry for the late reaction but i have been more on the shooting range than on the forum.

Of course i'll be  in Woerden. I saw you start at sunday in a squad with few of the best dutch standard shooters.

I will make my appearence on saterday.

I had the best results in combining wolff springs with SVI red followers.

I also have STI red followers, but SVI needed absolutely no fitting wether in ST or SV mags, adds one round and works great.

BTW, Brian, this is one item you MUST have in your Store.

DVC

Julien :-)