Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Computer Bench

Nemo

I wonder if we should start a thread for those of us who work on computers...... I'm sure we could show you some really chaotic-looking benches. :lol::lol: Including mine. No, I take that back. I'm the tidiest geek in the shop--and my bench is about as compact (compared to the other guys) as my reloading closet thing. :D (SiG Lady)

Your wish is my command! ;)

I don't work on computers per sé, but most of my working days I spend sitting in front of one at a fed cube farm.

Now, all y'alls show us the bench where you make the money to spend in shooting stuff!

Here's mine.

B)

post-2776-1157734422.jpg

post-2776-1157734466.jpg

Here is a quickie snapshot of the space I spend a lot of time in. It's not a true cube, but it is a cubbyhole.

Right to left:

Powerbook G4 17" (displaying jpeg of Nemo's cube)

Accelerated G3 w/ 21" ColorSync display

Heavily modified G4 MD Dual 1.27Ghz decked out as a FinalCutPro video editing station with custom 1TB and 300GB RAID Arrays. 17" CRT display is for pallettes only. Video is displayed on outboard Sony monitor through FireWire DV I/O device.

I also have similar setups at home and another half dozen road cased rental PowerMac systems ready for portable graphics and video work.

post-749-1157756650.jpg

This isn't my techhie bench at work but is the "bench" from which I do my other national business (and create all those Dealers Forum banners), so this qualifies as--perhaps--the OTHER "bench".......

post-1852-1157944089.jpg

It's one of those "it looks chaotic but I know exactly where everything is" spaces. Similar to the one at work (which is lots smaller).

SUPER COOL!!

:)

Keep 'em comin'!

So many Apples!! My intro to personal computers was with a Macintosh Plus with the super small screen and the external HD. Work guided me to the dark side (insert Vader's breathing sound here) of PC's, and that's where I've been.

Those are some powerful machines George! Nice!

Más Chili, is that a Control Room for a power plant? It's control room clean!

Siggy, you need a better chair at the shop, that metal folding chair is gonna kill ya'! :o Nice new Kimber!

Wow Sharyn! :o That's a very big dollar bill! How fragile we are!

Cool lights on the office, Chuck! Puter mount, shotgun mount, rifle mount... Does it have a mount for the Krispy Kream box? :lol:

Sturm, your sheetrock skills are about the same as my shooting skills! ;)

Edited by Nemo

Más Chili, is that a Control Room for a power plant? It's control room clean!

Test Cell at Detroit Deisel. That's a 2007 14 liter inline 6 truck engine hooked to an eddy current dyno. Puts out around 515hp and 1650 ft/lbs of torque.

I don't have a picture of the V20, 80 liter engine that was down the hall, big!

Funny you should mention the folding chair, Nemo... It was the wooden stool I was using BEFORE I chucked it that nearly destroyed my replacement hip. Gawd, such pain. I'm still healing it up. The metal chair is a relief. Meanwhile, though, I tend to be up and down a lot and walking and standing and working on two boxes at once at two stations that I set up... so, I'm kinda mobile (but not quite like Chuck_D) (Love your office, officer!). The supply of donuts at the computer center, however is intermittent and capricious. <_<

All those iMacs on the floor are mostly awaiting a certain someone to pick them up and remove them--a guy who buys our 'dead' iMacs for parts (and there is a row on the left that you can't see... and there are more that arrived since this photo was taken!!). He's been on vacation or something so our iMacs are really piling up. It's my job, in part, to triage them and determine their relative worth when they first arrive. Crap, they're heavy. :rolleyes:

OK, here's my hovel of a work area. Bear in mind that I created this job out of nothing and swept out a corner to work in that wasn't there to begin with. Things are like that in our present facilty location. We're getting ready to relocate to a bigger building a few blocks away in about a month where everyone will have more space and more custom-built spaces.

post-1852-1158243456.jpg

The whole place is very Mickey Mouse and hodge-podge, being a non-profit that was founded on freebies, donations, cheap rental space and volunteer efforts. I've had to beg/borrow/steal every inch of space and guard it with my life. Some interloper joined us just a couple of weeks ago and took my office space down the hall, my secondary build station in this room and a couple of other things and I finally told him enough-is-enough! I will be remodeling my workspace to enlarge it immediately and interlopers be damned. :angry:

None of the workspace is good for my back, my joints or anything. I'm standing on thinly-carpeted concrete and I do manage to walk around a lot (thankfully) so I'm not static either in the chair or while standing, even though the entire facility is basically concrete. I do go home somewhat sore after five hours or so of The Bench. But bear in mind I'm really short so I hand-picked my bench surfaces (low to the ground) so I could actually LIFT those Mac bowling balls onto the table without breaking my back entirely. <_<

The iMacs all over the place here are literally 'dead' iMacs and take up horrendous amounts of space because they can't be stacked or dealt with conveniently--unlike PCs which are famously box-like and stack ever-so-easily. I end up tripping over them and we've run out of space to put them. There're at least 30 of them adjacent this area that you can't see--none of which are running or worth keeping. We're just waiting for a certain person outside the organization to pick many of them up (he's been relocating HIS business so has left us in the lurch for the moment) and get them out of our freakin' hair. :rolleyes:

I've attached a mosaic shot of the entire room. :wacko:

post-1852-1158535147.jpg

i would love to take a picture of the data center i work at, it's the third largest data center in the country at 55,000 sq feet. unfortunately cameras are not allow inside of the data center. so just imagine all the cisco and ibm equipment that can fit into a football field.

unless all the iMacs have burned video boards, you should be able to make several runners from any Pile-O-iMacs. I have done it several times myself.

If it's a dark display problem though, then just pull all the RAM chips and the HD's then chuck-em to a local re-cycler. iMacs with bad video boards are nuttin' but trash IMO.

Those iMacs have a large variety of problems... and the guy doing the Mac builds is swamped with higher priorities (one of the many problems we're having at the center right now). The units that are truly hopeless get purchased by this aforementioned outside source for about $40 each. If Mike ("iMike" is the current nickname) spends all day rebuilding one (that may have multiple problems) we may get $49-50 for it in our retail portion of the business here. It's often not worth it for him to waste the labor unless I triage a really higher-end one and bring it to his attention. (all those little yellow stickies on the units are my analysis notes).

Yes, we do often autopsy them and harvest organs... and sometimes that's not worth much, either. Once in a great while we get one with a bad screen, but most of them (if they boot up) do have good screens... but might have OTHER problems... or be so old they need a major upgrade (not often possible) and, again, it's a matter of labor vs. profit. As it is we're building fully running PCs with OSs (Win2000) and all the basics (hardware and software wise) and then selling them for less than $50 for cryin' out loud. We're selling SOME units for $25 or $35. We're basically stuck in second gear. Or, to put it differently, we're floating our valves. :wacko:

We're a dismantling/recycling facility and a Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher. The Director's original mission to serve the marginalized community with Internet access and computer units is fundamentally a good one... but not altogether a profitable one at the moment. Eugene is a small town and everyone wants everything for free. <_<

• 5 weeks later...