Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spent Primers All Over The Floor

Chris Keen

I tried a search, and got nothing but errors.

But you guys are always so insightful, and normally right on with your advice.

I have been loading on a 550 for 2 years, and right away I relaced the spent-primer-catch-chute pivot-pin, and I put a piece of duct tape between the cup & the base of the press, to act as a "slide" for the primers. And this worked great for a long time. But recently my primers have been jumping right out of the spent-primer catch chute. They sometimes land in the spent primer cup, but 2/3 of the time they land on my primer slide (causing a jam) or mostly just all over the floor.

Ideas ???

I tried squaring the end of the decapping pin with a file. Not much luck there.

Help! :rolleyes:

But recently my primers have been jumping right out of the spent-primer catch chute. They sometimes land in the spent primer cup, but 2/3 of the time they land on my primer slide (causing a jam) or mostly just all over the floor.

+1. I've been battling this same problem for the past few months and it's quite annoying. Hopefully someone can help.

But recently my primers have been jumping right out of the spent-primer catch chute. They sometimes land in the spent primer cup, but 2/3 of the time they land on my primer slide (causing a jam) or mostly just all over the floor.

+1. I've been battling this same problem for the past few months and it's quite annoying. Hopefully someone can help.

Check out the 650 tips and tricks thread under reloading FAQ- put flex tube to a jug under my bench and problem gone.

Edited by Sherwyn

Try this-pull out the cotter pin. Clean the catcher. Grab a small safety pin and open it. Push the pointy end through all the holes. Sanp it closed. You now have a hardened, stell axle for the spent primer catcher to pivot on. :ph34r:

Had the same problem when I got my 550B. Solved it completely by scrapping the cotter pin supplied by Dillon putting in a paperclip and epoxying a penny onto the primer chute to add some weight so that is closes more reliably. I view this as part of the dillon learning curve :D

I had some success with the safety pin, but, over time, and always at an inconvenient moment, it would snag, bend and jam. I then used a large paper clip, cut off the ends and bent the last 3/8" over the top of the lid and it has worked perfectly for several thousand rounds.

There was, I am sure, a member who made a device that fit 550s. Someone asked him about making them available and IIRC, he was gonna do it. I recall that this member was into bikes, too. Can't find the old posts.

Can someone point out that link?

Bob

Edited by straightshooter1