Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Cases For 625

randy01

Hi,

I'm currently using Winchester cases which I've got from the time I wass shooting WWB. Becouse I have to buy some new cases I wanted to know If Starline or Remington cases where better or f I should just order some Winchester cases.

Thanks

Randy

Hi,

I'm currently using Winchester cases which I've got from the time I wass shooting WWB. Becouse I have to buy some new cases I wanted to know If Starline or Remington cases where better or f I should just order some Winchester cases.

Thanks

Randy

Randy Lee recommended Remington to me because of primer pocket consistency for deep seating the primers on his action job. I have used Starline and been happy also. .45 acp moon clips are less sensitive to case manufacture than other calibers, in my excperience. Enjoy the 625

My revo brass is only Winchester, Remington and Federal, in equal parts. Of the three I prefer the Remington. The primer in the Winch's seats a little higher than in the other two, but work fine in my Randygun.

$0.02

I use assorted brass and moonclips of various and dubious vintage--but there's just no need to be prissy about that stuff with a .45 wheelgun. I'm fairly certain I'm still rotating through some of the original brass and moonclips that I started out with back around '87-'88, and most of it was used then!

Shoot the brass 'til it splits, shoot the clips 'til they bend.

I too use all assorted brands of brass..........Free is BEST !!!!!! ;)

I use the Brownells moonclips for practice and club matches, Hearthco Moons for major matches. I do use only one headstamp at the Nationals though just for consitancy at the chrono......this year will be Remington, last was Federal, the year before Winchester........you get the idea.

I have had some problems with S&B......their primer pocket is crimped and will leave you a high primer every now and then. and A-merc is JUNK....the brass alloy is bad and it does not resize well, and the primer pocket swells and will not hold a primer.

Good luck.

SAM

I use only whatever it is that I find on the ground, then '86 the S & B, etc.

On the Winchester brass though, I have found that there are a couple different headstamps they use- one of which has two points on either side of the "45 Auto" marking- these do not seem to accept Federal 150 primers as well as the others which do not. I had been having issues with high primers and light strikes- when I noticed....

All were with either SB brass or these Winchesters with the dots.... I have since eliminated these from the barrel, and have yet to had a single issue.

I actually prefer the Federal nickle brass, but I'm still stocking up on that.

All supported by Brownell's moons for practice, and Ranch moons for matches.

I have this little theory that all moonclips (except Hearthco clips) are made by Ranch Products.

I know Brownells doesn't make them....

I know Wilson doesn't make them....

I know TK Custom doesn't make them....

Can anyone disprove my notion? Is there anyone else out there stamping these little puppies out?

I have this little theory that all moonclips (except Hearthco clips) are made by Ranch Products.

Can anyone disprove my notion? Is there anyone else out there stamping these little puppies out?

Brownells states the manf. for their 10mm clips come from "SCHERER"

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...10mm+MOON+CLIPS

course a search of the internet awhile back i couldn't find a stamping company by that name.

Ranch's 10mm clips are totally different than Brownells/Scherer.

And then there was another poster here who represents a stamping company from overseas,

mentioned that they make the clips for S&W for the 38/357 8 shots and the 38 Super.

(can't find that thread though :wacko: ) It was a long time ago I saw that post.

I met the guy from Ranch at the IRC...didn't sound like "stampings" were his main business,

thought he mentioned something about office products :wacko:

Brownells states the manf. for their 10mm clips come from "SCHERER"

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...10mm+MOON+CLIPS

course a search of the internet awhile back i couldn't find a stamping company by that name.

Ranch's 10mm clips are totally different than Brownells/Scherer.

And then there was another poster here who represents a stamping company from overseas,

mentioned that they make the clips for S&W for the 38/357 8 shots and the 38 Super.

(can't find that thread though :wacko: ) It was a long time ago I saw that post.

I met the guy from Ranch at the IRC...didn't sound like "stampings" were his main business,

thought he mentioned something about office products :wacko:

First moon clips I bought were fromScherer. Skippy deals by Fax or mail only (unless he has come into the computer age which I doubt) They were good but since finding the Ranch clips I have not gone back. Steve and his wife are real easy to deal with.

Regards,

First moon clips I bought were fromScherer. Skippy deals by Fax or mail only (unless he has come into the computer age which I doubt) They were good but since finding the Ranch clips I have not gone back. Steve and his wife are real easy to deal with.

Regards,

Hi RGS, you have some contact info for SCHERER, I'd like to see if I could get a bunch of

their clips since I keep getting bent ones back from the matches :(<_<:angry:

ps. The Brownells/Scherer clips work best with Winchester brass (imo), both 10mm and 40 S&W size.

Hi RGS, you have some contact info for SCHERER, I'd like to see if I could get a bunch of

ps. The Brownells/Scherer clips work best with Winchester brass (imo), both 10mm and 40 S&W size.

I have no info for him as it has been some time since I bought from him. I think he is in the Carolina's so maybe one of the Southern shooters can help ;) He always advertised in Shotgun News maybe someone can check. They also sell Glock Mag bodies.

Regards,

I have no info for him as it has been some time since I bought from him. I think he is in the Carolina's so maybe one of the Southern shooters can help ;) He always advertised in Shotgun News maybe someone can check. They also sell Glock Mag bodies.

Regards,

Thanks anyway G, I'll see you this weekend at Harvard I think.