Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Do You Think Of The Idpa Rules?

Mayonaise

OK Men,

If I am toeing the line of acceptable language for here then I will respectfully back away. I want to shoot IDPA; is that not evident? So do many others, but when OBVIOUS problematic rules diminish the enjoyment of the act then something is obviously wrong that should be addressed. I think I can see that you all are saying that past action dictates that there will be no change and that the powers that be in IDPA really do not seem to care what the shooters think. If that is the case so be it and I will indeed play somewhere else. It is also very obvious that I am not alone in my frustrations with IDPA. My intent is not to tell anyone "how" to shoot or enjoy a sport or spend their free time. I do hate to see what I perceive to be a good thing going down hill because of apathy on the part of either its membership or its administration. Perhaps neither are willing to change.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that you care what I think, but I thought I'd give "alterenate perspective". Also, I'm not trying to argue individual rules. The point I'm making is that for every rule that anyone of us finds "wrong", there are others who agree with it. Few rules are UNIVERSALLY held to be bad, and those are the ones we should work to change.

People can affect change! The existence of the USA and the whole Boston Tea Party thing are proof positive that when folks get tired of a real injustice, things change.

Agreed

A leg out from behind cover??? Where was the body. If the body is safe, the feet and leg procedural penalties are every bit as bad as the dreaded fault line in IPSC.

Disagree. It's actually a pretty easy rule to call, why change it. SO can line up with target and cover, foot out enough to be exposed? proc or warning is earned. IMO, whole point is to make you comfortable shooting while leaning. Initially this opened my groups up quite a bit. You got to draw the line somewhere, exposed to the target it as good of line as any in this GAME.

Oh and by the way....if a shooter is breaking the cover rule and the SO has time to yell cover the shooter gets no penalty. However, if the shooter is fast or if the SO is slow then the shooter gets dinged!!! A fast top class shooter with a slow SO is screwed!!!

Disagree. top shooter has screwed himself. This merely prevents a shooter who is too fast from cheating, knowing that the "cover" call will come after the fact. BTW, if you think a top class shooter hasn't already picked the EXACT spot he is going to plant that foot (and what presentation his gun will make around the barricade) before he gets to cover, then he'll always be able to pick up some time on you on that decision alone. Top shooters know where they are going, the smart ones don't risk a PE by pushing it to the last millimeter.

I also hate the reloading while moving restriction. As long as you are behind cover why not let the shooter reload???

I think I might misunderstand, you can reload behind cover??

How about the knee on the ground rule?? Is that so lard butt shooters who cannot squat can still be competitive cause we are making everyone kneel. Long as you are effectively using cover what difference does it make if your dang knee is on the ground??

Again, all of the complaints (from others) on subjective rules, yet you'd like to add another. Take the kneeling rule out and you get "did he squat far enough" calls. But hey, I could live with it. Just know that the same issues with exposing the foot will exist.

I do love the shooting sports and have played hard for three decades. I just hate to see something with as much potential as IDPA turn into such a nit picky rule fest that so many shooters feel threatened, or somehow fouled by the rules and the application of those rules. Sure I could keep my mouth shut and take my toys and go play USPSA but lying down and giving up is not the American way nor is it my way!

AGREED