Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about buying a Plasma. Research so far gives the Panasonic 42" the lead. Any thoughts and/or experiences?

FYI Sony is discontinuing plasma. The future isn't in plasma from what are reps are telling us. LCD is where I would look, we have a lot better luck with them. I know your loaded and if you want a good plasma, look up DWIN, and they are only a couple of Brazos' ;)

LCD tech is not there for me yet...the viewing angle issue as well as the contrast. LCD has twice the lifespan but the picture quality is way below the plasma. LCD's will continue to drop in price but plasma is da shjt. Yeah it cost a coupla Brazos but I could have it now vs. 2 years from now.

Sony is going forward with LCD because they were not making their own plasma TV's.

The Panasonic HD is a good choice, also check out the Samsung plasma, they are making a great TV now

BTW I am a store manager for Sears and have a little bit of first hand experience with home electronics.

I went with the Panasonic 42" plasma, and love it. Had been sitting on the fence about a Sony or Toshiba LCD, but found a salesman who was willing to move things around so I could look at the plasma and LCD side by side. Once I saw that, the decision was easy.

B

The best Plasma's we have found (rental industry anyway) are definitely the Panasonic with the Samsungs right behind.

For LCD's check out the Sharp Aquos line of display. They have a viewing angle almost as good as a Plasma and the color accuracy is pretty good for an LCD (Lousy Chroma Display).

Stay away form the off brands (Goldstar, Zenith, etc.).

BTW, we have also had good luck with NEC plasma's in our rental biiz.

If you want an LCD that is exactly as good as a Plasma and cost's a lot less, wait at least two years. If you don't want to wait, either get a Plasma now, or be happy with a Sharp Aquos now.

I'm real happy with my Dell plasma TV. I got it on a discount at the refurb site, but it still kicks butt over the other low-priced units I see in stores. Some early models had a buzzing problem, which caused them to drop the price to move 'em out, then they fixed the buzz and not the price..

LCD tech will obsolete plasma in a few years, but by then I'll want another one anyway ;)

Shred has a point about the Dell brand Plasma's. I had forgotten about them.

A client of ours bought four of the Dell's to avoid paying the exorbitant rental price we charge for the XGA capable Panasonic and NEC 42"ers in our rental stock. A year down the road, they seem to be standing up to the beating about as well as the NEC/Pana's do.

We did not buy into the Dell's for the same reason Shred mentioned, plus we wanted black bezels for rental inventoory and Dell could only supply Silver or medium Gray bezel models back then.

All in all I think the Dell may be a good choice for home usage at their present pricepoint now that the QC issues are settled.

Panasonic has one of the best rated displays out there for a Plasma TV. The blacks are, well, black. That's one of the biggest weaknesses in Plasma displays.

The other drawbacks are power and heat. They suck alot of electricity and give off a lot of heat. If you have little ones predisposed to touching the TV screen, you might have some remedial training to conduct, or listen to them cry.

DLP is nice, but replacing the lamps can get expensive.