Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Glasses Color

mmcnx2

As a very new open shooter I'm getting use to finding the dot on the C-More and have determined my old yellow bulls eye shooting glasses are not helping the siutation. I've tried clear and although they are better than the yellow, they also do not aid much. What color are most guys running?

I think it depends from shooter to shooter. The dominant colors seem to be (in no particular order) clear, yellow, red, grey. Personally I use photochromatic grey lenses on my Rudy's. They are a light grey indoors and they can get quite dark in the sunlight. I found that yellow make my eyes strain and I haven't tried red yet.

No sun and overcast, I use clear oakley's.

In sunny conditions, Rudy Project racing reds. It seems make the dot look more red...

+10. I've found they also make buff-colored targets "pop out" against light-colored berms - very "contrasty." Best color I've found for almost every condition except heavy overcast, when I pop the racing red ones out and the clear ones in... B)

If you don't mind wearing geeky glasses, look at Post 4 Optics (google it). I have Rudy's with racing red lenses, but the Post 4's with the Desert Rose lenses give more light transmission and better target contrast. They do not wash out the dot on my Holo at all.

The only downside to the Post 4's is a little more reflection in the lenses than with the Rudys.

The Dycot Hi-wide frame with the lightest blue blocker, which looks tangerine. Theory is you want to keep the pupil as small as possible to keep your depth-of-field as great as possible, harder to do the older you get. So the blue end of spectrum isn't needed. When you put them on the greens, reds, yellows, and browns and contrast seems better. Tan targets don't get lost against burnt grass berms. The eyes don't get tired as easily. Sun is pretty bright down here in Fl. Haven't tried them in snow.

I just got some Rudy glasses and am trying the impact-x photochromic grey and the impact-x photochromic red. So far the red is far better for me.

My only complaint is that they take a LONG time to darken, a lot longer than other photochromic glasses that I have had. Other than that I really like them. I don't think I have ever seen a pair of glasses that was better optically.

Being color blind......I have found that the rose colored (pink or what ever color they have been called) work best for me. I shot alot of sporting clays as well......and the lens really make the orange birds stand out like flames.

Also......I would hesitate to get a dark lens. The way I understand it is this can make your iris (the black part??) larger and can actually increase your reaction times.......and I need ALL the reaction time I can get.

NOTE......I am NOT a doctor.....so if some can better explain this, please do.

The cool thing about the lens I use, I can wear them in any light and have worn them in dark houses as well with out any problems.

The brand I use??? Bolle' Limit with a perscription lens, and had to really shop around to find a place to cut that color for me in the small town I live in. They seem to be a great wrap around style that I can also use for 3 gun with no problem.

Tim