Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Rule For Table Start

DaG

Guys,

While at the local match today, the course description stated "seated at table, unloaded gun and mag on table. Upon start signal retrieve gun and mag and engage tagets blah,blah blah. Now, the CRO says that shooters in production and L-10 cannot load 11 rds. in the mag since it is an empty gun,mag on table start. I did not want to argue about it, but for the life of me I can't find the damn rule in the green book. Am I missing something here?

TIA

DaG

US Appendix D9.9

Maximum ammunition capacity Yes, 10 rounds loaded maximum in any magazine after the start signal.

Thus, you can have as many as you want in the mags while not during the course of fire, but once the beep goes off you can only have 10 in any magazine, including the one you are going to load your gun from.

It would probably fall under US Appendix D8 #9 and US Appendix D9 #9. Maximum Ammunition Capacity.

10 rounds loaded maximum in any magazine after the start signal

Edited by eerw

AHHA, now i see....start signal goes beep and I have 11 rds in the mag before I chamber a rd. Thanks Vlad, I should have thought that one out a little better.

DaG

Yeah .. thats the reason I don't load 11 in any mag. I rather have 9 rounds in the 5th mag on my belt after I top off, then risk loading from the worng magazine and having to imagine a red dot in top of my gun for the rest of the match. This is one of those issues I changed my mind on along the way. When I started shooting production we where under the old rule book where you couldn't load 11 in a mag. I thought that was silly. When they changed the rule, I didn't care anymore, and I don't make use of it.

AHHA, now i see....start signal goes beep and I have 11 rds in the mag before I chamber a rd. Thanks Vlad, I should have thought that one out a little better.

DaG

BTW --- the penalty for violation of the rule is "Welcome to Open Division!"

I think that may depend on where you are at. Saw a reload done with an 11 rounder at a recent major, RO made comment, no move to open for that shooter. Think they thought it was an "oopsie". That shooter placed high in Production at that match.

Saw the same at A8 on that stage where you started with an unloaded gun. Buzzer goes off, shooter loads, count 11 then slide lock for the shooter...nada.

The downside to letting production shooters use standard capacity mags rather than the reduced-to-10 variety. Vast majority of RO's who do not shoot production don't pay that much attention to it, forgetting that the possibility of slipping an extra in there (inadvertently), can give that one shot advantage that can make or break a stage.

DaG

I think that may depend on where you are at. Saw a reload done with an 11 rounder at a recent major, RO made comment, no move to open for that shooter. Think they thought it was an "oopsie". That shooter placed high in Production at that match.

Saw the same at A8 on that stage where you started with an unloaded gun. Buzzer goes off, shooter loads, count 11 then slide lock for the shooter...nada.

And no one called for the range master? Or filed an arbitration? I know George would have been all over that at A8 if he had known.....

DaG

And no one called for the range master? Or filed an arbitration? I know George would have been all over that at A8 if he had known.....

I'm sure he would have been. Nope, its one of those comparing notes after the shooter goes where we count the rounds. hey, maybe we were wrong. I mentioned this issue before in a thread regarding the use of the standard mags versus the reduced, but comments ranged from "easier to load" and "RO's can count".

We had a Production shooter at the DoubleTap Championship get bumped to Open for 11 in a mag at an unloaded table start, for the very same thing..... it was an "oopsie" alright!

Thanks for reminding me Shaun :P Always fun to relive painful memories :D

• 3 weeks later...
If a production shooter loaded 11rd in his mag, wouldn't he be moved to Limited minor, and not open? Or is there a rule to force him into open for his mistake?

6.2.5.1 However, if a competitor fails to satisfy the equipment or other requirements of a declared Division during a course of fire, the competitor will be placed in Open Division, if available, otherwise the competitor will shoot the match for no score.

It is not 11 rounds in the mag that is the proplem, it is 11 rounds in the mag after the start signal.