Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got A Few Doubles When Switching Uppers

mscott

I decided to put my G35 top end on my G24 frame to shoot Limited this weekend (the G24 has magwell and ext. mag release while the G35 is my production gun)and got a real surprise. I got 3 sets of doubles before changing things back around. Neither gun has ever doubled when coupled with the proper receiver. The only reason I tried switching them is because I like the sights on the 35 better. The 35 is 3rd gen. and the 24 is 2nd if that matters at all. Both have had the light polishing job and trigger spring hole moved, but that is all. One is the RS trigger kit and I did the other one. Both have stock striker springs. The timer said my splits were .11. I'm not really concerned about fixing anything, but I won't switch things around any more either. I'll just take the G35 stock for this weekend.

Are you sure it was a double? An .11 split isn't all that fast. A double with a glock would probably be around .06.

I got 2 .11s and a .12 according to the timer. All I can figure is that it was the echo from the berm if the timer didn't pick up the actual shot because it was extremely fast. I was shootingat 12 yards with 4 targets practicing 2 shots each and transitions.

Your problem is something that happens from time to time. Unfortunately Glock did not see fit to get all their trigger-bars from the same contractor and they have put several different versions in guns that are supposed to be identical.

There are several possibilities involving overtravel stops, bad ejector housings etc...

BUT

The #1 cause of doubles is wear on the parts.

The top-rear of the trigger bar has a tab that pushes the striker to the rear and then eventually releases it due to the dive in the ejector housing slot. Look at that raised tab on both your guns. It should come to a sharp edge with about a 70-deg angle on it. If it is wearing out into a rounded shape, it is junk & needs to be replaced. There is no fix for that part other than welding it up - and Glock parts are cheaper/faster than welding.

Less common part to wear is the lower tab on the striker. It should also come to a sharp edge with less-than-90-degree angle to it. The striker's edge is not flat, it curves from side to side, but looking from the side, that edge should be sharp.

Main reason those parts wear to the point of full-auto is like chp5 said: someone changing the way the trigger bar works in the gun [to lighten the pull]. It can also happen just from tons of shooting and parts that were mismatched to begin with.

In the old days we had to box up the gun & send it back to Glock to get more parts. Now that kind of fun belongs to XD shooters, Glock parts are easy to find.

I've probably got 6-8k on thr RS kit, but don't take this post as a problem with those drop in kits. I swithed 2 uppers and made my own problem in my opinion. Obviously something isn't quite right, but but both guns operate perfectly with their own receivers. I merely posted this to see if anyone else had found this problem. I might order a spare trigger bar the next time I order any parts just to have an extra on hand.

I did the sort of the same thing in reverse for the Ohio GSSF match. I polished on my G-22 and put a 3.5 lb connector in. I was practising 2 days before the match and it doubled once on me. I must have polished too much and when it wore in a little it started doubling because it took 500 to 700 rounds before I had a problem. I put my G-24 frame on the G-22 upper and shot the match both standard and competition class with the same gun. No doubles and I ended up 2 nd. and 3 rd. so I guess I got by with it.

P.S. When mine doubled the split was apparently too fast for the timer to pick up