Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do Production Rules Allow For Basepad Modifications?

38superman

I have read the production guidelines for both IPSC and USPSA.

The IPSC rules are explicit about no basepads that add capacity.

However, the USPSA rules only state no weighted attachments.

My intent here is not to add capacity, it is to add security.

My mags will already hold more than 10 rounds.

The problem is that the plastic basepad on my Para magazines is fragile and not very secure on the bottom of the mag.

When I slam a magazine into the gun, the plastic tab has a tendency to give way and the basepad slides forward.

I'm afraid it will come competely off and dump the spring, follower and ammo onto the ground during a mag change.

I need a more robust means of locking the basepad onto the magazine.

Does a Dawson or Grams basepad constitute a weighted attachment?

If so, what are the alternatives to fix this problem?

Tls

Edited by tlshores

This is a question (we've talked about it before) that likely needs an "official ruling" from the BOD and NROI.

I was CRO at a "really large match" not too long ago. Before we ran the first squad of the day, we'd do an equipment check (which allows the shooter to fix anything that might be wrong, as opposed to getting getting bumped to Open at a later time).

There was a shooter that had some rubber-type base pads on his Production Glock mags. I bumped that call up to the Range Master..who let the shooter continue with them. (which, probably wasn't the right call?)

1. They added weight

2. They changed the external dimensions.

3. They would provide an advantage in seating.

4. They would provide an advantage in clearing a stuck mag (I sure would have liked to have had that advantage in a match...more than once).

This is a question (we've talked about it before) that likely needs an "official ruling" from the BOD and NROI.

I was CRO at a "really large match" not too long ago. Before we ran the first squad of the day, we'd do an equipment check (which allows the shooter to fix anything that might be wrong, as opposed to getting getting bumped to Open at a later time).

There was a shooter that had some rubber-type base pads on his Production Glock mags. I bumped that call up to the Range Master..who let the shooter continue with them. (which, probably wasn't the right call?)

1. They added weight

2. They changed the external dimensions.

3. They would provide an advantage in seating.

4. They would provide an advantage in clearing a stuck mag (I sure would have liked to have had that advantage in a match...more than once).

This is why we get confusion. Okay at that match, what if it's not at the next major he /she goes to? Are we that driven to make sure everyone is happy that we dilute the quality of the product we are presenting?

I just shot a sectional match where a production shooter was reloading with 11 round magazines. He was told not to do that at that stage, but no word was passed to the next stage RO's (that I know of) to watch for it. We try to be consistent in our shooting, we should do the same with the rules.

• 1 month later...
Yeah .. what Flex said. And what about grip tape on the bottom of the mags?

I ran that past Amidon in the last couple of days ---- we're messaging back and forth as I wrap up the CRO curriculum. He said the following:

Nik,

The rules state no weighted attachments allowed to the magazine, I cannot see

how putting grip tape to the basepads would constitute weighted attachments.

John

There you have it folks ---- grip tape may add a fraction of an ounce, but it's not a "weighted attachment." The rule book doesn't define weighted attachment ---- but I suspect we all know one when we see one.....