Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6 Inch 40

TMC

Please...feel free to completely go into the smallest detail of your build. :) A lot of on here would be very interested in your journey.

I agree. I would definitely be interested in more details on your build. That is truly impressive work with a mini mill.

I'm not sure what there is to tell. I think first off I figured it wasn't the end of the world if I screwed it up, I could allways get another slide. I have a couple of old junk GI slides that I practiced on to see if the set-up and cuts would work and how they'd look. That plus I'm one of those guys who thinks, if "that" guy can do it so can I (no offense to the pros)

I take my time on set-up using dial indicators, and check 4-5 times before cutting. With a light mill you have to make multiple passes taking a little metal at a time so knowing where to stop each time is important.

I don't have the Yavapai Slide Jig so I just clamp the slide in the vise with parrallels and then tram it about 10 times to make sure its straight.

I used a bevel cutter to do the angled sides on the tri-top. A 1/4" ball mill for the cuts on the side and a 7/16 for stirrup cut, all with the head at 15deg.

Fitting the slide wasn't to tough. Of the 4 Caspian slides I have fit they all have required very little material removal to fit compared to an SV which needed allot so I sent that one to a pro. Some good files from Brownells and lots of measure, file, test fit, repeat and there you go.

For the barrel I have the tools to hold the barrel while fitting, and the cutter for the feet.

There you go

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...