Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm Puzzled About Grip Theory Vs. Reality

flycaster

Almost every instructional book, article, or video on handgun shooting emphasizes the need to place the gun in the strong hand so that the barrel is in a direct line with the shooter's forearm. Then most competition shooters advise using an isoceles stance. Could someone please tell me how that is possible? If the barrel is in line with the forearm, and the barrel is aimed at the target, it seems to me that the muzzle would be pointing to the left (for a right-handed shooter). The picture of B.E. at the top of this page illustrates my point, I believe. The gun is not anywhere near alignment with Brian's forearm, yet I sure wouldn't question his results! Any opinions would be welcome. :unsure:

Chuck

I believe that when they say "in line with the forearm" I believe they are referring to where the butt of the gun sits in the web of your hand before getting into the isoceles stance.

Many people have a habit of having the backstrap of the gun pushing into the thumb more than the web of the hand. AT the other end of things, this makes it hard to get the pad of the finger on the trigger. Then when you pull the trigger, this rotation of the gun in the hand from where it should be results in all sorts of funny gun movement when tightening and relaxing the grip and pulling the trigger faster, slower, harder, etc.

When you line it up like they say on your initial grip, these things cause much less disturbance in the muzzle when pulling the trigger.

There's a really good illustrative video of it out there, but I forget who it's by, and thus have no hope of finding it. MAybe someone will chime in.

I stopped worrying about he mechanics of it and instead worry about what the front sight is doing. You will end up in the same place from what I have seen, but it is more of a 'feel' approach to the grip.

I like to play golf too, and can't hit the ball worth a hoot with mechanical thoughts. I play golf by feel and I am finding that my shooting is getting better when I shoot by feel.

Absolutely. Jarrett's video, especially the part about the trigger finger and weak thumb being equally forward, was a huge lightbulb for me.

And the gun IS in line with the forearm, if the hand is held loosely at your side. This demonstrates the grip. However, when you take the stance, the WRIST turns outward. The gun position in the hand doesn't change. So, if this makes sense: The grip is such that the gun is in line with the forearm, IF the wrist is held perfectly straight as well. However, during shooting it is not. I suppose in a Weaver stance, everything would remain lined up, but the other drawbacks make this less than optimal.

H.

Absolutely. Jarrett's video, especially the part about the trigger finger and weak thumb being equally forward, was a huge lightbulb for me.

And the gun IS in line with the forearm, if the hand is held loosely at your side. This demonstrates the grip. However, when you take the stance, the WRIST turns outward. The gun position in the hand doesn't change. So, if this makes sense: The grip is such that the gun is in line with the forearm, IF the wrist is held perfectly straight as well. However, during shooting it is not. I suppose in a Weaver stance, everything would remain lined up, but the other drawbacks make this less than optimal.

H.

Got it. Thanks.

Chuck

Extremely good question.. I struggled with this for a while and used to push out the gun more in trying to improve the 'alignment' of the gun with the forearm.

Ron Avery's tape #1 Secrets of a Professional shooter explains this very well and what is really meant by the phrase. Brian sells the tape set.

Extremely good question.. I struggled with this for a while and used to push out the gun more in trying to improve the 'alignment' of the gun with the forearm.

Ron Avery's tape #1 Secrets of a Professional shooter explains this very well and what is really meant by the phrase. Brian sells the tape set.

That is a good video that doesn't get much press.

• 3 months later...
Almost every instructional book, article, or video on handgun shooting emphasizes the need to place the gun in the strong hand so that the barrel is in a direct line with the shooter's forearm. Then most competition shooters advise using an isoceles stance. Could someone please tell me how that is possible? If the barrel is in line with the forearm, and the barrel is aimed at the target, it seems to me that the muzzle would be pointing to the left (for a right-handed shooter). The picture of B.E. at the top of this page illustrates my point, I believe. The gun is not anywhere near alignment with Brian's forearm, yet I sure wouldn't question his results! Any opinions would be welcome. :unsure:

Chuck

This has also been my biggest difficulty as I am learning the straight thumbs grip. Not that I expect the gun to remain in parallel with my forearm, but that I have difficulty bending my shooting hand back far enough to keep the barrel aimed at target. I can hold it there with my support hand, but it hurts my right wrist and my bones twinge when I pull the trigger.

I'm finding that moving the backstrap slightly towards my thumb seems to help. I don't know if this is poor technique. I'm guess that it thumb is a weaker structure for supporting recoil (I will have to go to the range next week to find out).

I ordered Brian's book and the Avery tape series, so I will see. But I don't want to develop any bad habbits in the meantime.

When you take a grip on the gun in the holster, ideally you want the barrel to be inline w/ your forearm. This applies to strong and weak hand shooting, as well. In a freestyle grip, we compromise that principle slightly to allow for more flexibility in the stance and greater recoil control, so the strong wrist is allowed to flex slightly to the outside, allowing for the isoceles-ish stance (its not true isoceles, either, you'll note).

The grip is something that can be confusing. Check out the resources you have on the way, and think about finding someone locally to set you straight - you'll find most IPSC shooters to be very helpful about these things. Get some initial help, and then work on what works best from there... ;)