Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suitcase For Flying....

Help. I am flying out on Monday and cant find the keys to my borrowed Hardsided suitcase. I have an armored lockable guncase for my handguns for inside the suitcase. My question is do I have to put the locked case with guns inside a Hard sided suitcase, or is a soft sided suitcase acceptable.

I cannot find anyone that sells Hard shell type suitcases anymore.... :angry:

Hopefully I can find a key at the locksmith tomorrow.....

Thanks for the help!

EDITED: to say that I called TSA and confirmed that everything is status quo at this time. I still need a hardsided suitcase, but found one with a key!

DougC

Edited by DougC

My question is do I have to put the locked case with guns inside a Hard sided suitcase, or is a soft sided suitcase acceptable...

A locked hard case inside a large, soft-sided suitcase has always worked for me.

Highly recommend locking the (containing) suitcase with a TSA combination lock(s), though.

I use a soft-sided rolling bag with the hard pistol case inside it. Locked with a combination lock, I stick around at check-in in case they need to open it up. So far that's worked (the large-print "This case must remain locked at all times. Call [my cell #] before opening" seems to help too.

Ok, I see that the "TSA lock" is a good idea.

So which type of "TSA lock" do TSA officials prefer to see on a gun case, combo, or key?

Doesn't matter; they all have a keyhole for the TSA key(s)

My suspicious nature suggests that by now, probably half the planet has copies of the TSA keyring, so I make sure to lock the guns themselves to the outer bag as well, with a non-TSA lock. There's no reason for them to cut that and I want proof if they do. I use something similar to this, where there's a cable through the gun and locked to the frame of the outer bag, then the inner case is locked with a lock they can get into and poke around: post-1846-1155349379.jpg

FYI: from the TSA Website ( http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/... )

We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can’t contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.

Tag your hard "locked with a NON TSA lock" pistol case with a tag letting them know it is a violation of airline policy and FAR's to open the hard case without you present. Have your name and cell phone # on the outside of the case, which can be inside a soft side suitcase with a TSA approved lock.

TSA regs do not supersede the FAR's or approved airline operating rules, they supplement them.

Republic Airlines, FAA and TSA regulations require that the owner of this case MUST be contacted and present before opening.

Thank you, Joe Shooter, cell # 666-777-1234

Note any tags identifying the case as a gun go inside the locked case. No one but you may have the key or combo. dont fall for there bit about "we will lock it after inspection", inform them that they would be commiting a felony if they tried.

Edited by blkbrd

I see numerous posts that recommend that you put your cell # on the case.

With the recent events are they still allowing cell phones (or Ipods or any other electronics) with the carry on bag or on your person?

Except flying out of the UK, where reportedly all you get is a sandwich baggie to put your money in, cell phones and laptops and MP3 players are still ok.