Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cutting Down 5" 625 For Idpa

pcschwenke

Wondering if cutting down a 5" 625 to a 4" would make it IDPA legal? I picked up a model 1989 really cheap but, wondering if it would be worth while to chop it down for use in IDPA. Currently, I do not own a IDPA legal revolver. Any thoughts? I have access to all the machines required to do this job professionally.

Paul

I've thought about replacing the barrel with a 4" or picking up another with the proper length barrel. My funds are pretty limited at this point because we are in the process to adopt our 3 child so, cutting the barrel down would be the cheapest route. I originally wanted the 5" back when it was legal for IDPA and for bowling pin shooting but, a friend had one I couldn't pass up a few weeks ago. The last person to shoot this gun was 2 years ago at a steel challenge type match and I was it. The owner never got use to a revolver and wanted another .22 instead. My gain, his loss.

If you go to the trouble of cutting the barrel, put a Weigand Replacable Classic Front Sight Base on it. I put one on a 4" M29 and it works fine. Although it does take a Milling Machine to make the cut.

pskys2,

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into it.

Milling machines aren't a problem. I have access to 4 bridgeports that have digital readouts and 3 cnc mills (came in handy when installing an aristocrat 3 position sight on my 38 super)!

Paul

pskys2,

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into it.

Milling machines aren't a problem. I have access to 4 bridgeports that have digital readouts and 3 cnc mills (came in handy when installing an aristocrat 3 position sight on my 38 super)!

Paul

If that is the case, take a look at the SDM site and his step by step on how he shortens.

http://www.sdmfabricating.com/4_conversion.html

Regards,

Scott over at SDM did my 5" to 4" barrel job. Scott did top notch work. I sent him the barrel that I had spun off. That way you would not have to worry about FFL shipping or the cost of shipping the whole gun. Give him a call.

Paul - It's legal. SDM has a package deal on this, if you want someone else to do it.

He cut two of mine down...but he has a current waiting list of over seven months. :(

I'd buy another one in 4" and shoot USPSA until it arrives. :P