Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Info On 9mm 1911 Springs

mike cyrwus

I have a SA 9mm, and Im a little curious as to what folks are running as far as mainspring and recoil spring weights.

Ill be shooting wwb and blazers mostly; but may load some 125pf poofers for ss div.

I didnt see any spring threads on this subject; I was a little suprised its not been covered before.

Probably 12.5 or less, possibly/likely down to single digits on the recoils. Most people run 17 lb mains, and some run a 15 lb.

In my 6" 38 super for ~135 PF I run a 12.5 and 17. I'll probably put a 15 lb main in to reduce overcock pressure.

Probably 12.5 or less, possibly/likely down to single digits on the recoils. Most people run 17 lb mains, and some run a 15 lb.

In my 6" 38 super for ~135 PF I run a 12.5 and 17. I'll probably put a 15 lb main in to reduce overcock pressure.

whats overcock pressure; the effort needed by the slide to knock the hammer back?

whats overcock pressure; the effort needed by the slide to knock the hammer back?

The pressure the slide has to overcome as it travels rearward after the shot is fired. Ideally, you want enough spring pressure to light your primers 100% of the time and no more. I run a 15 lb main in my limited gun - some others can't run a spring that light or choose not to b/c they like the little extra umph of a 17 or 19 lb main.

ISMI Gunsprings has lots of good info on these topics. Or, pick up the phone and give Mark at ISMI a call.

I run 8lb recoil springs and 17lb mainsprings on both my 9mm single stacks. One is a springfield, the other is one I built from an 80% frame. I do not run shockbuffs.

One thing I do, and this is just my personal preference, is run firing pin stops with smaller-than-normal radii. This tends to slow the slide down a tad in the early part of the cycle. That's why I feel good about running such a light spring with no shock buff, and the combination results in a weapon with nearly no muzzle rise.

I'm shooting 147 gr bullets loaded to 131-132PF.

Oddly enough, a friend of mine just bought a brand new STI Trojan in 9mm. I swear that the factory spring in that gun was NOTICEABLY lighter than the 8 lb springs in my two 9mms.

Art Lundwall

I've got a S_I in 9mm that I use for IDPA and as an economical training pistol. I run it at approx 130 PF (124's running around 1050 FPS). I've run as low as an 8 lb. recoil spring but find that a 10 lb. gives me 100% feed reliability.

My 9mm Kimber has never stopped in approx 2000 rounds of 130PF loads with the factory springs. Since I've had no reason to change the springs I've never measured them to see what spring weight they are.

Keith

I have a SA 9mm, and Im a little curious as to what folks are running as far as mainspring and recoil spring weights.

I too have a SA 1911 9mm. Anyway, mine came with a 9lb recoil spring (per Springfield), and I replaced the ILS with an Ed Brown "wedge" mainspring/mag well B)

I install a 23# MS, and everything feels, and runs like factory new. trigger pull is about 4.5#'s.

I also picked up a 19# (reduced power) mainspring, and with that the trigger pull is about 3.5#'s., but I have not tried it yet (at the range). I kept the 23pounder in there for the match I was getting ready to shoot ;)

Will keep you posted...........

Hope this helps

thats interesting; thanks for the info on the 9# being SA stock.

I am not sure that is industry standard. I believe standard recoil spring on a 5" 1911 (9mm) is 12#. That's what came stock in my STI. Mine also came with a 19# mainspring.

The opinion from the Wolff site is:

1. Factory rating for super .38 & 9mm is 14 Lbs.

14# seems a bit high for standard load 9mm.

Edited by bountyhunter

• 4 weeks later...

I just got done talking to springfield and I can second that they say they send them out with 9# recoil springs. If thats the case why do so many people run 12#ers, or does it just come down to preferance again?