Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Powder For 9mm, .40, And .45

Shawn Knight

I am looking to keep from having to change powder constantly on my 550. I would like to know your opinions on the best powder to use with these 3 cartridges. I realize that using the same powder in all of these will hinder performance in at least one of them(most likely 9mm) but I am fed up with constant powder swapping. I am currently using 231 and looking into VV powders. I would like to hear any responses to what you think. These reloads will be mostly used in a SIG 226 9mm, a G17 and 349mm , XD40, and several plain 1911s all 45s. I am slowly getting parts for a 40 limited Para frame kit so that is in the future. There is the possibility of a 38sup Open gun but that is farther off in the future.

Thanks for your time

Shawn

I think there is ample data on this topic for you to search on, and you will get probably get at least a dozen different reccomendations for powder. However you seem to be using one of the powders I've had good luck with. 231 is an old standby for me. It meters well, is usually easy to get, and is about at the right price. You will probably get reccomendations for Titegroup, Bullseye, some of the Vitt Line of powders (they are pretty clean, but are expensive) and a few others. I've been loading 231 for Major 40 with 180's and despite the dirtiness of 231, I really haven't noticed it to be any dirtier than any other powder. I like 231 because I can load it for minor and major 40 without any real hitches. Lately for minor 40 loads utilizing a 140 gr rn, I've been using Ramshot Competition with pretty good results. I think there is some limited comments about Ramshot Zip as well. If 231 is working for you, then just use that and don't worry about the "hottest thing". If you want to try something else, there is lots of info out there on all the powders I mentioned. Right now I have a lot of powder that needs to be burned up before I invest in any more, after I'm done with the Ramshot Competition, I'll probably switch over to the 10 pounds of PB I have, and then go back to using 231 or Titegroup later on.

Vince

I just see to much unburnt powder from 231. I am thinking of using magnum primers and working up again. I was really hoping to find that do it all powder(doesn't exist I guess). So I hope there are some good responses to this topic. I have searched through the different forums, and this one as well. I have never really found anyone hat uses one powder in all these cartridges with good to very good results yet. I will keep looking I guess.

Edited by theknightoflight

I would say VV N320. It works great in both my 9mm (G17) and .45 (S&W 625)

Nice and clean and very tame on the recoil. Meters very well in my Dillon measure. Almost no spread with my .45 major loads (still have to chrono the 9mm).

Some of my shooting buddies have used N320 with great results in their .40s. Both in Glocks with aftermarket barrels as in S_Is.

That was oneI was thinking of using. I don't need something in the "major" level as I only shoot production at the moment so I reallt want something efficient and enough to cycle the guns reliably. What do you think of the Magnum primer idea? Considering I still have about 4 pounds of 231 left, LOL.

Edited by theknightoflight

If all you shoot is minor power factor buy a case of Hodgon Clays. You will LOVE IT!!! Clean, meters well, shoots as soft as anything out there, goes a long way, cost is good, there just isn't anything not to like.

It will not do open supers at major PF, and I would not recommend short 40 at major. Other than that it is by far the best powder I have tried for minor 9, minor 40 and minor/major 45.

I'm not loading for 9mm at all - but I've shot some .45 loads loaded up with the ones mentioned above, and I load for .40. I'd use N320, but Titegroup would work fine, too, it seems. Neither of those is going to give you optimal feel in .45 - Clays and N310 are going to be softer, but are going to be pretty risky for Major PF .40.

You could probably also run N330 or Universal Clays or something - that's getting into the range of a 231-ish powder, then, though, in terms of performance (but maybe cleaner burning). Less optimal in all three, though...