Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eotech Scope On An Open Shotgun

surfmaster

Does anyone use an Eotech sight on their open shotguns? How does it compare to a regular dot sight?

It appears to be perfect for shotgunning since all you need to do is place the ring of the Eotech (or part of the ring) on your pepper popper or round plate and fire. You don't have to locate a small dot. For precision slug shots, you would use the 1 moa dot.

How does it compare to a JPoint or Docter?

I look forward to hearing your comments. Thanks in advance.

Way too bulky on a shotgun. If I were to use an electronic sight, it'd be a JPoint or a Doctor. Keep in mind you're not shooting a small projectile of lead, you have a large disc of lead (obviously depending on your choke). That being said, if say you're shooting 1-1/8 oz., between #6-8's with an IC choke (and standard wad) your pattern at say 15 yards is probably close to 8-12" in diameter (if not larger...I haven't patterned in a LONG time).

If you're using Spreaders, double that. The point? From the standpoint of just accomplishing the shot it's not needed. I agree with you on the use of the dot for slug shots, but 4 or 8 MOA is lot nicer to pick up than 1 (even with a 65 MOA ring).

In the end, look at what's winning the matches. A lot of times, you'll see the top shooters in the Open division not even using an electronic sight and if so, mostly for the occasional long (+ 50 yards) slug shot.

I'd concentrate on fitting the shotgun to you and practicing reloading before worrying about what dot to use. You need that shotgun to slide into your shoulder and be on target every time (Bennie Cooley goes into this a lot in his class as well as stressing the importance of reloading).

Hope that helped.

Rich

Edited by uscbigdawg

Anything bigger than the Jpoint/docter IMO is too much on a 3 gun shotgun. There is so much more work done with your head on the gun shooting the rib than what you use a dot for.

Even though most of our targets are stationary the gun is always moving. For this I have found I shoot much better with the rib at almost everything in three gun.

Now it would be nice to have a "little" sight on those 100yd slug shots.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your comments. I plan to mount an optic, either a Tasco PDP4 or an Eotech, on my shotgun. It's a magazine-fed Saiga 12, which is an AK-47 shotgun. With this new information, is the Eotech (and Tasco) still too large?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments.

Surf,

Dispite all the comments to the contrary, I HAVE a Holosight mounted on my 1100 and have none of the problems that they predict. It is perfectly in view with a casual cheek weld and the ring makes it very easy to shoot anything but the farthest/smallest target. If supreme accuracy is needed, beyond extrapolating the circle, the 1 min dot can be quickly used. Moving targets are easy to track using the circle. I also use an idential scope on my carbine.

I have no idea if the placement on your gun will make any of the other factors come into play, I can only tell you how it works on my 1100.

Good luck,

Leo

Edited by L9X25

+1, 2 & 3 on the way too bulky and way too high thing. I went half a season with an OKO high mounted about like an EO would be and even though it is smaller than an EO, it was "In The Way" bigtime as far as view goes and the high/casual cheek weld sucked hind teat!

I now run a melted in JPoint with 8 MOA dot and a pair of 2016 batteries in it. This makes a nice big fat bright dot that is right there with a normal shotgun mount and cheek weld. This makes shooting a regular shotgun with just a bead a breeze to deal with. Get used to that high cheek weld with an EO and a regular shotgun will be a PITA to handle by reflex ;-)

I am using the JP on bbl mount (did it myself though). I cut away a chunk of vent rib and glued the mount on with high temp epoxy. The dot sits right where a bead woiuld be now. I mounted mine out near the end of the handguard on the bbl to keep it low and out of the way when doing the flip-n-burn ;-)

The battery change needs no mods. The JPoint normally uses one CR-2032 battery. The CR-2016 is half the thickness of a CR-2032 so two fit right in and double the voltage :-)

Geoff,

I wish I could. I am not going to be able to make it to A1 this year. Vacation draw didn't go so hot for me. Are you going to be at RM3G by any chance? Maybe we can hook up there.

Thanks for the help it gets me going in the right direction.

Craig

Edited by smokshwn

Thanks, George.

If you get a chance I would love to see closeup or two of the mount and if possible a shot down the rib.

Take care, Craig

Here's the JPoint on my 1100:

jpoint1.jpg

jpoint2.jpg

I've tried a friend's 1100 with an Eotech, and aftr that experience (and watching her shoot with it), I've decided the JPoint/Optima is the only way to dot an 1100/Benelli.