Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun Ejection

Harmon

been shooting the 9mm major tripp gun for a while now and once in a blue moon ill get a stove pipe jam (with 175 PF ammo) the gun is a lightened 5 inch slide with the brazos trubor barrel and c-more serendipity sight 8# recoil spring, no buff.

Im running Aftec extractor, SV mags and Full metal Jacket bullets at 1.167 oal.

From looking at the C-more the brass are hitting the bottom of the scope Just under the O in C-more. Is this the cause for the stove pipe malfucntion?

Ive ordered a brazos tuned ejector in hopes of fixing it to 100 percent reliable

It only happens every once in a while, but happened two times yesterday at a match and by my calculations, cost me HOA....so i want to get it fixed.

Harmon

Make sure the brass is not hitting the port first and then bouncing up. Paint the ejection port with marker and test - look for a brass mark the length of a case away from the breechface on the port. Make sure you know if your brass is ejecting high or low before you start messing with the ejector. Also start with a fresh recoil spring so you know what you are dealing with as far as the spring (one less variable).

Check here: http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/ejection%20perfection.htm

new spring added, ran 50 rounds through it with the port colored in black. No malfucntions, no marks on the paint.

Had my father watch the gun as i shot it, he said it looked like they were hitting the sight first...

BTW, thanks for the article and fast reply bob, Thanks again

Harmon

Harmon,

To somewhat backup what you seem to be experienceing there are two of us at my club with identical guns. (Bedell shorties in 9mm)

I run the light Recoil Master and the other guy runs an 9lb spring on a regular guiderod. I have never experienced a FTE with my gun but occasionally he experiences a malf like you are describing. We have watched his gun run, stopped him when it malfs etc etc all in an attempt to diagnose. The easiest answer was that he never experienced this with a fresh spring.

So my theory is just that at lighter recoil spring weights maybe a shorter service interval is in order?????

Good luck, Craig

Sometime this problem happen when the extractor tension is a little bit low. Try to give tension to the extractor and look if the gun works better. You can try following this way: use a DUMMY ammo (BE SURE THAT YOU USE A DUMMY AMMO) and load it in the chamber with the slide close. Now pull back the slide slowly (really slowly I mean) and look at the (DUMMY)ammo. The ammo must be hold firmly from the extractor and the breechface. If you can see some little dummy ammo's movement it means that the extractor needs more tension.

I hope to been helpful to you. :)

D.V.C.

been shooting the 9mm major tripp gun for a while now and once in a blue moon ill get a stove pipe jam (with 175 PF ammo) the gun is a lightened 5 inch slide with the brazos trubor barrel and c-more serendipity sight 8# recoil spring, no buff.

Harmon

Could it be a problem with brass? There is a LOT of extractor groove/rim configuration

difference in 9x19 brass. Try sorting your brass by headstamp and see if it's one

particular brand that's causing the problems.

Bill

Another way to check the sight is to put a strip of masking tape along the bottom and angled up onto the side - sometimes, it can be hard to see marker on the bottom of the sight. You can just pull the tape off and look... Run it that way for a while. 50 might not be enough to build a noticeable mark, esp. if they're hitting all over the place...

I had the same problem in my 9major gun. It happened every so often no matter what I did and I finally went with a Brazo's tuned ejector and their offset scope mount. I also use a 11# recoil spring. I think the ejector cured the problem but the offset mount was some insurance I don't mind having.

the scope actually has a pretty deep scar from brass hittting it...

From the looks of it, i have plenty of extractor tension...and when the gun is clean, it runs like a top.. get 400+ rounds of HS6 ammo through it..its gets the 1/200 jam goin

the ejector should be here pretty soon, so ill do some testing this weekend and see if that was THE cure.

Harmopn

Harmon I had some problems with my gun = when I crossed the state line to shoot a match. The extractor had the proper preshur, but it did the same thing you are describing.

When I got home I was advised to add even more extractor preashure. = I have alot more than ever before and the gun runs great now. ? I do not have an Aftec but you may be able to try a stong spring to see if that works through it.

?

good luck

Jamie

I had something like that before. Shells used to hit the c more mount. this would intermittently cause a jam as the shell would sometimes bounce back into the ejection port and get locked up.

wasnt the extractor at all but the way the ejector was tuned. I had to tune the ejector such that it hit the brass a little more on the inside of rim of the shell. I noticed that all of the previous shells were getting indentations on the case rim such that no matter how you tried to tune the ejector for a sideways path.. it never happened.

once i'd tuned the ejector such that it was not hitting the rims of the case, it ejected horizontally. might be the same problem and hope this helps

Regards,

between work and school, ill not be able to shoot any matches for a while...so tomorrow when the ejector gets here, ill be able to Install and test really well before running off to a match and getting one of those "amazing hit factor killer jams"

Harmon

Found a broken AFTEC when i took the gun apart...little small pieces where the spring(S) push to give them tension....

Broken spring cap??? Or broken extractor body?

spring cap

springs were just pusing against the body of the extractor channel. this gun had been internally lightened, and i guess the other pieces fell out the cut in the slide.

has anyone else had this happen?

did some reshaping of the tip of the ejector..and it helped put the cases more of in a "pile" hopefully the brazos ejector will fix the troubles.

harmon

Edited by Harmon

I can probably trace the part breakage down to one thing.

I was shooting some minor steel ammo in the gun 4.5 grains universal clays, 124 JHP at 1.150 and got a bad case.

Load popped the case head and didnt really do too much else...that i noticed at the time.

It had to be a bad piece of brass...but it shows us that regular 9mm pressure 35000kpsi is still alot..

the scope actually has a pretty deep scar from brass hittting it...

From the looks of it, i have plenty of extractor tension...and when the gun is clean, it runs like a top.. get 400+ rounds of HS6 ammo through it..its gets the 1/200 jam goin

the ejector should be here pretty soon, so ill do some testing this weekend and see if that was THE cure.

Harmopn

Yup! Very often at a match there will be a shooter whose gun is working great... for a while. Then out of nowhere it starts failing to feed and extract as before. Sometimes I'll take the shooter to the "safe area" and perform a quick extractor tunnel clean-up and pull a "bore snake" through the chamber and bore. Then I will put a little bit of my "magic" lube above the locking lugs and rails, rack it a few times ... and give the gun back. Suddenly the gun is back to working great again.

It's called giving "TLC" every now and then. Try it. It should work for you too. :D:D;):wub:

put the brazos ejector in my gun. new AFTEC springs and spring cap, new recoil spring and the gun ejects 9mm factory ammo like it used to eject major ammo.

I would have to say, the brazos ejector is a must have for the 9mm with a serendipity scope.. i have only seen one other 9mm that ejects brass like a super...and it had a brazos ejector in it.

Good Job BOB!

Please don't get any "magic lube" on my gun that's just sick!

I didnt think you were supposed to use astro-glide on an open gun.. :P

put the brazos ejector in my gun. new AFTEC springs and spring cap, new recoil spring and the gun ejects 9mm factory ammo like it used to eject major ammo.

I would have to say, the brazos ejector is a must have for the 9mm with a serendipity scope.. i have only seen one other 9mm that ejects brass like a super...and it had a brazos ejector in it.

Good Job BOB!

Please don't get any "magic lube" on my gun that's just sick!

I didnt think you were supposed to use astro-glide on an open gun.. :P

:D:D L.O.L.

My "magic lube" is made in a synthetic base with natural "snake oil" ! :o:unsure:

It will cure any sickness in your open gun, plus... if you rub it in gently, it will make your warts grow and your hair fall off. But it ain't for sale. Snake oil is too expensive.

Anyway. I'm glad your open blaster is working good, even without my magic lube. ;)