Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Concernin' John Travis

Knowin' I'll get banned and deleted over here if I say what needs to be said. . .I'll say this, I've known of John Travis awhile. Never met him face to face . . .But. .alot of emails. .phone calls. .posts on Pistolsmith. .mutual friends. .invitations to visit. I know John Travis is a hand that knows of what he speaks. When it comes to gunsmithin' 1911's, A HAND OF THE HIGHEST ORDER. And I am qualified to say this. Merlin Orr. . .you want qualifications? Go over to Pistolsmith.com, see "Wild Bill Caldwell. . View From the Hills". . .I'll match my qualificatios against yours or any gunsmith's or gun builder on this forum, and John can outshine me on alot of things concernin' 1911's. Famous? Well known? Who you worked for? DON'T MEAN A THING! John Travis is an example of this. I'm an example of this. Most gunsmiths get famous buyin' ads in magazines. More money you spend with 'em, more write ups you get. Or get on the internet and blow your own horn or have others blow it for you. . . .Don't want to sound like I'm takin' up for John, he don't need me to fight his fight. Can't help wonderin', if I run into some of you people at a match. . .face to face . . .will you be as disrespectful to me as you were to John? I hope so.

Thanks,

Wild Bill Caldwell

Now Bill...it ain't worth runnin' your blood pressure up. I'd already decided to shake the dust offa my shoes and move on from here. If they don't wanna know, fergit'em. I'll just stay happy goin' in behind these nationally famous smiths and fixin' the problems they left behind. Who knows...I may get one from one of these gents one day. Just finished with one such this past week. Any of ya had a stainless Colt Officer's Model in for a build and barrel fit/reverse-plug system that went to middle Georgia in the past 6 months or so?

If ya did, it wouldn't run. Does now though. Only took about 45 minutes...

'Course, that's about all I do. I don't build raceguns or comp guns or rooneyguns of any description, and don't care to. I quit playin' with toy guns in the late 50s.

So, let's have a snort of Jack Black and call it a day.

Notice that ain't nobody answered that angle question yet? :rolleyes:

Edited by John Travis

Mr. Caldwell,

I have not read enough of the other thread to comment on that subject( I wouldn't know much anyway). However, I have read many of your posts at pistolsmith.com, and I got some really good information and things to think about.

All gunsmiths seem to have different ways of doing things. It would be a shame if you didn't share some of your knowledge on this forum.

The thread over at pistolsmith.com on cast vs. forged frames was the best discussion I've ever seen on the subject. I wish everyone here could read it.

Whether people agree or not, debating anything about pistols should always be allowed in my opinion.

I've read John's posts in various forums for years now and have learned a little something from every one of them. John has the rare knack of making the solution to a seemingly complex problem clear, even for a rookie. I've read hundreds of his post and have NEVER know John to be anything other than patient, helpful and a TRUE gentleman. That's more than I can say for some of the folks around HERE lately.

If you'd like to read more, go over to the m1911 forum and look at all of the "sticky's" in the "Gunsmithing, Troubleshooting & Refinishing" section that were started by "1911Tuner" (John), I guarantee you'll learn something too.

Ed Dailey

Quess one thing (amongst a lot of other things) John Travis and me have in common is a love for guitar pickin'. I pick rockabilly, John is a helluva flat top picker. A real Travis picker, a real Doc Watson picker. My favorite guitar is a 51 Tele, John's got a fine D28 Martin.

Carryin' a music theme with us . . .Oct 19, 1969, Over several bottles of wine, Kristofferson wrote "Once More With Feelin'" Next day (Oct 20) Jerry Lee Lewis "the Killer" recorded it for a big hit.

Like the Killer sang, "let's try this one more time with feelin' and we'll call it a day"

I ask you to go to The High Road, go to "Gunsmithing and Repairs" see The Consolidated 1911 Clinic thread. What John's wrote there . . .I don't have the words to describe. If you like 1911's it'll be hard to beat.

Once more with feelin'. . .neither John or myself are tryin to stir up any dookey over here. . .or spread any hate and dissent. . .Hell. . .those of you that know of either one of us know we carry a trouble devil on each shoulder. It just happens, we don't try.

Thanks

Wild Bill Caldwell

OK guys. Settle down. Relax. Have a drink.

Here at the BE forums, we do things a little different than say Glocktalk or AR15.com.

We like things to be infomative but very, very civil. no name calling or the like.

I know I've learned a thing or two from some folks here and have not asked what there qualifications are. If you have knowledge then stick around and help those who ask for it. But if you intend on talking down to us or bad mouthing someone, then please move on. either one is OK. You decide.

BTW - IBTL B):D

Can't help wonderin', if I run into some of you people at a match. . .face to face . . .will you be as disrespectful to me as you were to John? I hope so.

Why do you hope for this?

You see me at a match for the first time ever. You have an issue on a COF and I start giving you advice on how to deal with that issue. When fellows you know to have some skill say that that advice is flawed I tell them that they are wrong and indeed that individual famous for dealing with that issue is wrong. I do all this in a way that stirs the pot.

Are you going to be polite and respectful or do you assume that I'm a mall ninja and should be shoo'ed away?

I don't build raceguns or comp guns or rooneyguns of any description, and don't care to. I quit playin' with toy guns in the late 50s.

You know that 'respect' concept Bill was talking about. Well, 'rooneyguns' isn't a very respectful term. Alot of folks on this forum shoot 'rooneyguns' and talking about their equipment in disrespectful terms isn't going to earn you their respect.

Things on this forum seem to tick along nicely, even when we have diametrically opposed opinions. If you don't believe me, take a look at the bubble gum IPSC discussion or the Single Stack and Limited 10 discussions or the... well you get the idea. We can learn alot from the two of you about 'smithing, I'm sure of it. It's just that we are going to have to work on your gunsmith to competitor translator.

Respectfully,

Mark Kruger

Rooneyguns...

Sorry you misunderstood, Kruger. It's not disrespectful and wasn't meant to be. I guess I'm showin' my age.

The term was coined many years ago, when IPSC was starting to loosen up and allow the shooters to run what they brung in different classes. IIRC, it was Mickey Fowler who stalled out on the first one he saw, and in typical down-home Mick fashion, remarked "That thing's got more attitude than

Mickey Rooney...or it mighta been Andy Rooney. Also can't remember just where that memorable event took place, but I'm thinkin' Flagstaff, Arizona. The term stuck.

Sorta like the way that fiberglass bodied, flip-top rail dragsters got their name. Somebody saw one at an IHRA "Run whatcha Brung" meet in the Poconos, and remarked: "That sure is a funny car!" (Or was that Orange County Raceway?) Been a long time.

Edited by John Travis

The Funny Car term was coined at Lion Raceway....and Fowler shot some early pin/comp type guns mostly those made by Charlie Kelsey because he was the Man at that time...but he did not make his reputation by shooting them...like Ross Seyfried, Mickey shot a basic .45 with few alterations

And like the Pistolsmith forum, this one has some members who hold strong opinions...and just holding those opinions makes them neither right nor wrong...just strongly held...just like yours, Bill and John...

While this forum is basically concerned with competition shooting, there are other topics that garner interest from time to time..just like your View From the Hill does not appeal to everyone, racegun building, tuning, and performance do not appeal to everyone either...glean what you can from the topics that get your interest here and we can do the same at your site...

Regards..

David Winker

Just as an FYI, and I'm nobody here, I'm very familiar with John Travis. I've sucked down turbo coffee at his place, petted his dogs, chatted up his wife and the 1911 I carry on my hip and bet my life on has had his grubbies all over it. In fact, I believe we still need to do one more tune to it regarding a firing pin stop. I'll vouch for his integrity and his skill with the 1911.

Mr. Travis and Wild Bill..welcome to the forum (truly). I've enjoyed reading your posts on other forums.

It seems we got off to a bad start. Which, can happen to good people. Some of our regulars got a bit defensive with somebody they didn't know...posting a strong attitude.

I think we are all big enough people to figure out how to get along. (But, if there is going to be a get-together where everybody whips them out and sees who can piss the farthest...let me know, I always like to win a bet. ;) )

I am closing this thread (and the others), as we've taken this about as far as we need to.

Kyle F.

Forum Administrator