Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para P16.40 Vs. Sti Edge .40 For Limited?

PistolPete

This isn't for me but for my brother. He wants to get into IPSC and started by using my SV limited gun in .40. He really loves this gun and wants something similiar. He was looking at the STI Edge with Brazos upgrades and thinking of buying that pistol. However, he knows spending the $2000 for the gun plus all the other items he will need won't go over too well with the wife. We've all been there!!! He was thinking he could get a Para P16.40 instead for 1/2 the price and still have a good platform. I know some people have issues with the Paras. He won't go the Glock route or any other type of gun. He wants to stick with a 1911 style platform and would prefer a double stack .40.

What are your thoughts and comparisons between the two guns. We figured the Brazos Edge would be fine out of the box. He would add the grip stippling to the mix. If he gets the Para he'll need to add an extended mag release, Dawson Ice magwell, and most likely a trigger job. This will bring the cost of the Para up about $300. If he gets the STI he won't need mags for a while because he can just use my SV mags.

The other benefit of buying the STI is he'll have much better resale if he decides to get out of the sport. He's gone thru MANY hobbies over the past few years so his wife cringes when he gets into something new. She is awesome and is really supportive and he knows if he goes thru another hobby and doesn't stick with it she'll kill him. LOL

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Last weekend I was asking myself the saem questions. I looked high and low for a Para, and could not find one anywhere. I am and instant gratification kind of guy, so this irkked me a little. A guy I shoot IDPA with was selling a custom STI that I can use in ESP and Limited for $1650 fairly tricked out. I pick it up Friday, and I am totally stoked.

I really was trying to go the cheaper route thinking I would keep it for about a year and then upgrade to the S*I gun. But I remembered my Dad telling me when I was younger that if something is worth doing, it is worth doing right the first time.

My vote always goes to the one that's going to be the most reliable. Life is too short and free time too precious to have a gun running less than 100%

1 vote for the Brazos tuned Edge.

Edited by al503

I'm an old para fan, so ....

But here is what I found, everybody else shoots a sti something or other. So I've borrowed and shot lots of them in different calibers.

This also relates to other guns like the glocks.

I don't like a heavy nosed gun, so the full dust cover models with bull barrels are far too nose heavy.

Also it is where is the weight. I like a steel frame so the weight is in the hand not out in the nose. Too me it changes the feeling of the recoil pulse.

Here my guess as to the reason for this. Two guns loaded may weight the same. A typical long dust shield, with bull barrel and para with standard barrel.

Upon firing when the slide comes to end of its travel and hits the stop I find the gun with more mass in my hand and less in the barrel slide combo rises less and torgues my wrist less. I believe it has to do with mass/velocity of slide barrel combo with the distance/weight ratios of masses around the axis point in your wrists.

So if you can find two styles of guns in same caliber and fire them paying very close attention to the recoil after the shot and recovery time.

Now the 38 super, with new short slides and a monster mag filled changes that weight/axis ratio.

So if I was going to shoot a 38 super comp gun it would be a shorty sti.

However for limited 40/45 I would buy a Caspian or Para.

Have been using a Para 16-40 in Limited without any trouble at all. It is half the price of goiny the STI/SVI route when you consider 3 or 4 mags are required for either gun. That said I have just picked up a SVI (price was too good to resist) and must say it makes the Para feel sort of crude. The Para was my first gun and I don't regret getting it but if you think you will want to "upgrade" to a STI/SVI then I would suggest going ahead and getting it to start with. However if you aren't sure about continuing in the sport then get the Para as it will be cheaper to "exit".

I've been shooting my Para in Limited for well over a year now. Can't think of a reason to switch to a STI.

I get 21 rounds in mags that don't have to be tuned, and it's 100% reliable. Feels better in my hand as well compared to the plastic on the STIs.

I've seen a lot of beautiful STIs out there, but I'm definitely shooting a Para by choice.

Pete,

As for the cost, the Para is less as you noted. Both are reliable. The factor I'd look at is the way the feel in his hand. I have a medium size hand, and a Para doesn't feel good for me. I have had them. I shot a Para in .45 ACP back in the 80's, when they only sold aluminum frame. For me, removing the grip makes the thing feel like a 2x4. The STI giip is easily contoured, which mine is. Just breaking the "corners" makes a big difference for me. You handled my SV/TI at Westfield a couple months ago. So, you might remember that you commented it felt good in your hand.

Like a shotgun, to a degree, fit is important. Have him try the Para next to your SVI, if he can. Then decide.

Either gun can be made just as reliable and accurate. You can get the Para cheaper, and upgrade as you go. The STI is more $$$, but usually read out of the box.

I wouldn't trade my PARA for an out of box STI.

I bought my Edge from Dawson Precision. I had them replace the recoilmaster guide rod with a tungsten guide rod and change the front sight to a FO. My mags were built from "parts" (STI tubes, ISMI springs, Dawson follower/basepad). The gun has run PERFECT since I got it a couple months ago. I couldn't be happier! :D

I've been shooting SV/STI guns for about 10 years. I bought a bushing barrel P-16 once and didn't like the feel BUT my buddy put an Ed Brown bull barrel in his P-16 and it felt very close to the short dust cover SV/STI guns and if you use the STI mags they run really well not that the Para mags won't either if you use the right stuff.

Mick

I've shot the P16 since the start of the year and it has been very reliable. I had to replace the hammer, sear and dico in order to achieve about 3# trigger pull. I probably didnt have to, but I did just to make sure the pull remains consistent. I also have an S&A Magwell installed in it. Overall I really think its a very nice gun and competitive in IPSC. However after shooting almost 4K rounds of 173PF ammo through it, the gun rattles a bit. Some of my friends say that stainless steel is softer than 4140 thats why it started to rattle. I have not noticed any accuracy problems with the rattling and the gun seems to eat anything I feed it and spit out the shells accordingly. However when a shop had their STi Edge on sale, I couldnt stop myself and ordered one. :P I think the STi or the Para will get the same job done. However I just think the STi is the better one in terms of quality of materials used and the fitting of the gun. If money is not a big issue, my advice is to get the STi. If you want to save some money, get the Para, it will work just as well. Last year I was in the same dilemma and bought the Para....I'm happy with it. If the Edge was not on SALE, I wouldn't have bought it.