Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

C-more Lens Shattered

TimWarner

I've got a C-more on a glock17 with an SJC mount that shattered today.

Maybe 1000 rounds through it.

I first noticed the front/rear lens of the c-more got some white powdery looking residue inside them. I thought it was maybe just residue or something, so I kept shooting. 150 rounds later the lens shatters, and it looks like the glass broke from the rear towards the front.

Does anyone have any experiences with anything like this?

there's a blast shield built in to the mount, and there's no abnormal(just a light dust) powder residue anywhere on the mount or sight.

I would hate to have the lens replaced only to have it happen again.

in order for it to break, I would think something would have to hit it, which you say you have a blast shield. Or the heat of the gun could possibly do something, but I doubt it. Or the lens could have just been defective. I would like to help, but I am puzzled.

I am not familiar with an sjc mount is that one that mounts to the light rail, or the the slide?

Sounds like a bad C-More. I've seen the lens crack, but not shatter. Send it back to C-More with a note on how few rounds you have with it and I bet they'll fix it for you at no cost.

Chris

The white powder is an indication that the lens has worked loose and is sliding around under recoil. As the lens wears (hence the dust) it gets looser and the impact becomes more violent until it breaks. This same thing can happen with about any scope.

Send it back and they will replace the lens for free or for a nominal fee.

I sent it back to them, I'm curious to see what they say.

Obviously the lens isn't under any type of warranty, but given the low number of rounds it has on it... who knows.

I always figured I would drop it or something, so I always kept the pistol in a nice padded hard case. It figures it would break while I was shooting, not even anything drastic, just target practice.

No, right in the middle of shooting a stage (don't remember the stage number) at this year's Area 6 match, the lens in my C-more "detached" and after about 5 or 6 more rounds fell out completely. Of course, it happened on a stage that wasn't conducive (sp?) to point shooting or looking for holes in targets, as the shooting was off-balance around barricades, etc. Ended up with 4 or 5 mikes on the stage which, needless to say, pretty much trashed my match. I was able to borrow another gun to finish the match. As a matter of fact, the "shooting star" video on my website was the first stage using the borrowed gun. Sent it back to C-More with a note and they repaired it free of charge.

Well, time was short when I posted the reply, and it's always funnier when it happens to someone else. right? Besides, I didn't have as much to work with on the C-More story as I did the tighty whitey one. :lol:

OK, got a little more time now, figured I'd give the "War and Peace" version. I was about half way through the Area 6 match, and shooting very well as luck would have it. Get to Stage 7 "Angle of the Dangle", which if memory serves was about a 24 round field course. I engaged the first 3 targets on the left side....all is well. Move to the narrow port in the middle and set up on the target on the far right. I notice the dot is over at about 3 o'clock in the lens of the C-More. My first thought is, man....I didn't get set up on that target very well. Was in an off-balance position, so I just moved the dot to the middle of the target and broke the shots. Engaged a couple of more targets and had to index over to the left hand bank of targets thru this narrow port. This time the dot is over at the 9 o'clock position. Move the target into the A zone and break the shot. The dot is then gone completely, then flickers for a moment and goes back out. I shook the gun and the dot came on. I break the shot. Dot goes back out. It's now very obvious that something is wrong. I'm thinking either my battery (which is new) is dying, or my dot module is going out. Had to engage a couple of more targets down the left side by some soft cover. I'm off balance, no dot, trying to call my shots at about 15-18 yards and can't see my holes in the target.....probably because they're not there......see rounds ripping through the soft cover on the left, so pull the muzzle back over to the right a bit and break a couple of "hopers" toward the target and move over to the right array. When I get there, it's three targets, two on each at 5 to 10 yards. Put the gun on the first target and no dot. Shake the gun...hey, got a dot. Break the shot....no dot...shake the gun again...then the whole lens just falls out of the C-More. At that point it's just shoot the targets and look for the holes. I hear the peanut gallery "what's he doing"...."what's going on". Yep, I was a happy camper in happy valley. Finished the stage, needless to say, way off pace and with 4 or 5 mikes. The only people I beat on that stage were the 3 shooters that DQ'd or DNF'd. You gotta love it. :wacko:

I wasn't shooting a match, thankfully.

Though I was showing off how great my home-made 30rnd mags worked, to a couple of the big shots at my club.

Me being a new shooter(only 8 or 9 matches), I'm sure this made a good impression as far as the workmanship of my guns/etc.

Just an update.

I talked to C-more today, they said they replaced the lens and it shipped out today.

They received it last Tuesday, so under 1 week turnaround.

Oh, and I wasn't charged for the replacement.

Very good customer service, they passed the test.