Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Muzzle Brake Or Low Mass Carrier

AR_Clint

I intend to eventually get both a muzzle brake, and a low mass carrier w/ adjustable gas system. However, I'll have to do it over a long period due to my financial situation. Both would cost my close to the same praice because I'd have to thread my barrel as well. I was just wondering if I could only get one, what would make the greatest difference in reducing recoil? The carrier/adjustable gas system or the brake?

Thanks,

Clint

I intend to eventually get both a muzzle brake, and a low mass carrier w/ adjustable gas system. However, I'll have to do it over a long period due to my financial situation. Both would cost my close to the same praice because I'd have to thread my barrel as well. I was just wondering if I could only get one, what would make the greatest difference in reducing recoil? The carrier/adjustable gas system or the brake?

Thanks,

Clint

The brake will yield more results, if its a good one.-----Larry

Start with a good compensator. It will be probably cost half the price of the low mass operating system and give better results. You may even find that you don't need the low mass system. Many competitors do just fine with the standard bolt carrier and gas system.

Erik

Thanks for the help guys. Would it be okay to run the light buffer without an adjustable gas system? What about the low mass carrier?

NO don't change the spring or buffer unless you change the carrier.

If your on a budget Stag has a 3port brake, that they don't advertise that is only $10.00 works as good a the miculek brake I've got on another gun.

Just get a comp and a GOOD ZERO!

Rant mode on

I hate to keep harping on the topic of good zeroes but everytime I attend a three gun or rifle match I am SHOCKED ..... SHOCKED at the obscene amounts of money people will give JP, TriangleShootingSports, DPMS, Leupold, ClarkCustom Guns, Colt, DSA, Trijicon, Bushmaster, Accuracy Speaks, their local gun butcher, Armalite, Schmidt and Bender, Eotech, etc. etc. etc. etc. and come to match without having zeroed the damn thing.

You are not going to win anything by having a low mass this or adjustable that or rapid deploy thingamajig. You will win by being able to make accurate shots quickly from various shooting positions. I won my two national titles with a standard weight carrier (gasp!!). KurtM just cleaned everyone's clock in Standard at the Nordic Rifle with a shot out barrel and a standard weight carrier. I've seen Voigt, Butler, Burkett, Miculek, Cooley, Salmon, Piatt, Holmes, etc. etc. all win without resorting to such stuff. I'm not saying that the top shooters don't screw around with gimmickry because they do but you'll do better by spending that $$ on ammo and going out and shooting groups at 300.

Rant mode off

Just get a comp and a GOOD ZERO!

Rant mode on

I hate to keep harping on the topic of good zeroes but everytime I attend a three gun or rifle match I am SHOCKED ..... SHOCKED at the obscene amounts of money people will give JP, TriangleShootingSports, DPMS, Leuopld, ACOG, ClarkCustom Guns, Colt, DSA, Trijicon, Bushmaster, Accuracy Speaks, their local gun butcher, Armalite, Schmidt and Bender, Eotech, etc. etc. etc. etc. and come to match without having zeroed the damn thing.

You are not going to win anything by having a low mass this or adjustable that or rapid deploy thingamajig. You will win by being able to make accurate shots quickly from various shooting positions. I won my two national titles with a standard weight carrier (gasp!!). KurtM just cleaned everyone's clock in Standard at the Nordic Rifle with a shot out barrel and a standard weight carrier. I've seen Voigt, Butler, Burkett, Miculek, Cooley, Salmon, Piatt, Holmes, etc. etc. all win without resorting to such stuff. I'm not saying that the top shooters don't screw around with gimmickry because they do but you'll do better by spending that $$ on ammo and going out and shooting groups at 300.

Rant mode off

+1 to all and to add that he does it at most matches with Benny's comp. I sold the Eotech to stick with the Kurt Miller approved open sights, but I do run a lightened carrier and the Rolling Thunder Cigarette lighter from Benny (I shoot a 16" and it helps ALOT). Money well spent. A Buddy of mine runs the standard carrier and it is very flat with a Benny Cooley style comp (it is a 20" Hbar though)

Listen to Benny and maybe we can get Kurt to chime in, they are some of the best in the world.

Mike