Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wifes New Open Gun

Azone41

Well the wife is tired of her Glock and wanted an open gun ( after 5 matches ) so I just closed the deal on this JL Hardy 9mm Mongoose. Her best friend just got an open gun for Mothers Day so I knew it wouldn't be long before she wanted one. She is planning to shoot minor with it so it should be pretty tame for her little hands. Next will probably be Ladies camp.

post-4106-1151964481.jpg

Well the wife is tired of her Glock and wanted an open gun ( after 5 matches ) so I just closed the deal on this JL Hardy 9mm Mongoose. Her best friend just got an open gun for Mothers Day so I knew it wouldn't be long before she wanted one. She is planning to shoot minor with it so it should be pretty tame for her little hands. Next will probably be Ladies camp.

Welcome to the club :)

It looks exactly like mine!

Carl

That's really nice. I had Rusty Kidd make me a black delrin guide rod like that & I love it.

A nice Open Minor 9x19 load is 7.8gr HS6 with a 115 fmj or jhp bullet. Works the comp, quiet, very little blast wave in your face. Usually goes about 145-150 power factor.

She likes the Glock and didn't want an open gun when she started , she didn't like the loud muzzle blast from mine ( said it felt like it was hitting her in the face). Once she shot her friends with the 9mm minor ammo she liked it because it wasn't as violent. I plan on starting with a load that just barley makes minor and start working her up to major a little at a time as she gets used to it. I have been using HS-6 in her Glock 34 (5.1 grns / 124 grn RN) and it is 125.7 power factor, it runs the Glock perfectly but I don't think it's going to be quite stought enouph for the open gun. I will just have to work up some loads and see what works.

I know it's probably useless to make the following statement, but. These guns are set up to run at 172 power factor using slow powder to shoot their flattest and with the least recoil. Using minor ammo sometimes will result in more recoil and muzzel flip due to a lack of gas working the compensator/barrel porting. It can also result in the gun unlocking prematurely because of the same reasons. Shooting minor with fast powder only results in the gun shooting quieter. Which some folks percieve as not recoiling or flipping as much. This can be solved by the shooter using double ear protection until they get used to the gun. Please don't try to make the gun do something it's not set up to do. Because invariably someone will try to "tune" the gun to work and end up with a gun that won't work reliably with any ammo. good luck.

Thanks for the info JL. I was planning to use minor loads because the wife didn't like the sharp slap in the face she got from my open gun. This was when she first started shooting and she wasn't used to any guns recoil much less the slap that an open gun has. I took her to the range a few days ago and let her shoot some 140 pf loads in my super then bumped her up to my 170 pf loads and guess what , she said that she really could not tell any difference. So I have decided to go major with her also.

PS JL could you PM me some good loads that you would recommend to start with.

Edited by Azone41

I've got one of JL's guns (AET 2 port barrel) and my minor load is 7.4gr HS-6, 115gr. Zero JHP, WSP, 1.135". That's about as low as I seem to be able to go and have it run flat and reliable, for reasons JL stated. That's about 140PF. I have to run an 8# recoil spring with that load. It is a LOUD load in my gun, but not really to me shooting it. I just wear custom molded ear plugs and I'm fine. RO's hate me though. :P

My major load is 8.4gr HS-6, 125gr. Zero JHP, WSR, 1.155". That's about 170PF. I use a 10# recoil spring with that load. Kind of a pain to change springs, but I couldn't find one that worked well with major and minor loads for me. I would shoot only major, but at least one steel match I go to requires minor.

Man those hardy guns are nice....im guessing start at 8.5 grains of 3n38 and chrono.

MG bullets and load short.

harmon

The 3N38 load I used in my Hardy Gun, was 9.3 gr with Zero 125 JHP, 1.150 OAL, gave about 168 pf.

But be sure to start lower and work up / Chrono as Harmon said!

Carl