Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rules Question

jmallard

Ok this question came up this weekend.  We had a stage where you started with your gun on a table and you were seated.  Course description mandated that you were to remain seated for the first three targets.  One shooter stood shot the three targets, realized what he had done, sat down and re-engaged the three targets sitting down as stipulated.  Are their procedual penalties?

First, no field course may stipulate a shooting position, such as sitting.

Now, assuming it was an otherwise legal course, did it say, "Engage T1-T3 while seated" or did it say, "Engage T1-T3 while seated only" ? If it didn't say only, he met the requirement. If it said only, one procedural (no significant advantage gained).

We had a stage like that... "had to stay seated to shoot"... last weekend.  

That is against the rules as far as I know.  But, our regular...and experienced...match director hasn't made it to a match this year.  He is bogged down with work.  (poor guy)

Paul,  

In your situation...forgetting the illegal mandate...the shooter has already punished himself by having to shoot the targets again...I don't see a reason to give him the double whammy of a procedural.

So basically...what Erik said.  :)

I'd like to see the rule that says you can't mandate a starting postion and mandate that three targets must be engaged while seated.  Anyways, the shooter did not get penalties.  I was just trying to figure out if he should have or not.  

We were sitting not standing.....hahaha, just kidding.  I guess I learned something new, cool.  Kinda limits you in corse design don't you think?  Ok, here is another course we had this weekend.  13 targets spread out in a semi-circle.  Had a free fire zone that was probably 30 feet long.  Start was feet outside free fire zone, you engaged 1 target only from outside both ends of the free fire zone and everything else from within the free fire zone.  Legal stage?

Quote: from PaulW on 4:51 pm on Sep. 10, 2002

Kinda limits you in corse design don't you think?  

Paul,

I disagree.  If you want everyone to shoot the course the exact same way, you'll need to erect a lot of vision barriers.  But I don't think that's what freestyle is supposed to be about.  If I get this correctly, then freestyle adds thinking to the shooting and moving skills necessary to complete a field course.  If we were exactly equal in our physical abilities, and you think of a smarter way to engage the targets, you finish first with more points and win.  Or conversely, if a GM makes a terrible plan, then an A shooter designing a stage plan that favors his skills and abilities, just might beat the GM.  

What I really like about freestyle is the flexibility it gives me.  Today, I'm a pretty accurate shooter who isn't very fleet of foot.  In a couple of years, when I'm hopefully better at this movement thing, my approach to field couses may very well change because I'll have a different skill set.  

We must not forget that these are local matches without the huge set-up staff required to set up tons of vision barriers.  I see no problem with local clubs flexing the USPSA rules a little bit.  After all, these COF's  don't make it up to USPSA for approval.  So, as a match director, I can see why the stage description states that the targets must be engaged while seated.  Erik, I hope your local club doesn't get into the "only" statements.  That only upsets the course designers and match director.  I personally would give 1 procedural since the shooter was obviously standing there right in front of the chair.  This would change if the shooter was advancing giving him an unfair advantage.  

• 5 months later...

9.1.5 says (in part)

"In the event of a full bullet diameter hit on a paper scoring or penalty target where the shot continues on and strikes down a metal target, this is range equipment failure and the competitor shall be required to re-shoot the course of fire after it has been properly reset."

Bruce