Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building Firearms

thejoe

I'm not exactly new to guns, but I am new to AR-15s and the entire world of competition shooting, to be honest. My question of the experts here is would you recommend building an AR-15 from an upper and lower (available from many different places)? I want the experience that this type of build will yield but also I love the AR-15. Something about the weapon fascinates me... Any input on this would be much appreciated.

the joe

I'm not exactly new to guns, but I am new to AR-15s and the entire world of competition shooting, to be honest. My question of the experts here is would you recommend building an AR-15 from an upper and lower (available from many different places)? I want the experience that this type of build will yield but also I love the AR-15. Something about the weapon fascinates me... Any input on this would be much appreciated.

the joe

the joe

I am by no means an expert, but I just got into the AR's myself. I too had the same question, build one, or buy one. I ended up going with the buy one option, and have now spent half again the cost in all of the upgrades I wanted. If you aren't afraid to ask questions and tear into one, I would say build it yourself, or as some will recommend go with a reputable name and have it built for you. If you go to JP Rifles website, (www.jprifles.com) you can drool all over your key board and monitor looking at all of the quality goodies.

I bought a DPMS 16" HBAR, (plain jane A2), now it sports a RRA flat top upper with 20" stainless match barrel. From JP's I bought and instaled a Bennie Cooley Comp, modular handguard, and the JP fire control package trigger kit. The info for the trigger kit made it a cake walk (instructions and CD ROM video). Then topped it off with an Aimpoint CompM Red-dot.

They are a fun gun, and which ever way you decide I don't think you will regret it. B)

Doug

In follow up to my first question, should I get a complete upper and mate it to a lower or break it down even further and begin with a barrell, find a receiver, etc.? Does that question even make sense? It's too early....

the joe

If you are new to the AR, best would be to buy a complete rifle to begin with. Shoot it and evaluate what you like and don't like, while surveying what is available to modify. Then, as your knowledge increases, change things on the gun as you go, or build another based upon your experience (likes/dislikes).

If you are looking more at simply customizing the base rifle, try to buy the basic rifle with the upper receiver you want, and barrel length. Unless you have a definite barrel length in mind, I would recommend staying with a 20" to start. Unless you know you want to go with iron sights, I would lean to the flat top upper for scope mounting.

But these are all decisions you must make depending on your likes/dislikes, intended competition and such.

Starting with a complete gun, however, will, if nothing else, let you have a gun to shoot while you are building the dream gun. Or allow the base gun to become your dream gun as you modify it over time.

Guy

Here's the deal - you can build your own upper, they aren't very difficult, but do require some specific tools to do it.Once you factor in the cost of these, there is no savings unless you plan on builing 3 or 4 of them :)

I'd say buy one complete if you are just looking for one. Your best bet is to contact someone like Benny Hill and have him build the upper just the way you want it.

Build it yourself. Find a friend who has built one to help if you need it. I bought one tool and a friend had the other and the lapping compound. It was a piece of cake. It took about 3 hours. Pick each part based on your likes and put them together. RB Precision helped me out a lot too. I asked for all of the small parts to build a lower and they came in a bag. Buying an upper in pieces means you get just what you want. AR-15.com has a lot of photos and instructions in the "build it yourself" section. I built mine and would build the next one too.

On the upper, either build with an M4 barrel and upper or a standard upper and barrel. Don't mix the two together.

Good luck.

If you price it out, you will save a few bucks doing it yourself. If you want to spend that time practicing, send Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting Sports a check and he will build one for a little more money that will be a FAST tackdriver. I pondered the same for way too long. It will be set up the way you want it and you can't say enough about good customer service.

Mike

I'm going to have Benny build my next upper/rifle. I picked up a Cav Arms lower a couple of years ago that's doing nothing. It'll be a 16" plinker for CQ work and teaching/training. Basically your all around fun gun.

When I got into 3-Gun, I had a box stock Colt MT H-Bar. Knowing I wanted to shoot Open, I ordered my first JP upper and have never looked back. Still have it and 10's of thousands of rounds later, that upper can flat our shoot. Plus it draws a lot of attention at the range as it's green color and Recoil Eliminator make it stand out like Pamela Anderson.

Decide what gadgets you want, talk to some reputable gunsmiths and go from there.

Rich

if you want to build one, have a qualified smith double check the chamber. I have built several and depending on the manufacturer and/or coating used or not used, (i use a lot of baked ceramic coatings.) some material may get into the chamber therefore making live rounds stick due to the chamber becoming smaller. it can be a challenge getting them out safely sometimes.

Buy quality parts, a few tools from brownells and have at it. However because there are so many options as compared to pistols you will constantly keep evolving the gun until it fits your needs as get experienced in 3gun.

Ar for some are more addictive than pistols, because the parts interchange so easily. Say two lowers, a long range high power type design with adjustable cant and offset, then another with collapsable stock. The short uppers, mid upppers, long barrelled uppppers.

Custom barrels, gas systems, carriers, triggers, rail systems it goes on and on.

For the first one ... what Guy said. Buy the first complete. Get to know the system and what it takes to keep it running. Unless you have a specific match or competition in mind, 20" flat-top is good.

Then modify the working gun to your heart's content or build a second from parts.

Lee