Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Saw Some Sights At Irc

Viggen

At the IRC I saw a set of sights on a gun that looked very nice - good quality. Someone mentioned the name of the company but I can't remember what it was. They were made by and Italian company. Does anybody know and Italian company that makes good revolver sights?

Edited by Viggen

LPA, yes, that was the name I heard.

When things have slowed down a bit and Randy has had a little time to relax from the IRC I will give him a call about the sights. Right now he has a bit of work stacked up.

Thank you

Hello Viggen,

I think, it´s the LPA sight that you have seen:

TXT-thumb.jpg

-> have a look at LPA web page

I think, Randy is selling them in USA!

best,

Sascha

btw - I´ve the LPA sights on my two Revo´s for IPSC Revolver Standard - they´re fine!

Something I am not real clear on - does the gun need to be milled for the sight to fit?

Not if it is a newer model. They are already drilled and taped for scope mounts.

If your not sure, open the cylinder, look under the top strap and you will see if it is D&Ted.

Edited by hdgun

They look very solid.

What would the correct front sight hight be for a S&W625 with a 5 inch barrel?

What sight combination whould you choose? Would anyone recomend the sdm gold bead? I like the fiber optics but think they are too delicate.

Thanks,

Armando

Not if it is a newer model. They are already drilled and taped for scope mounts.

If your not sure, open the cylinder, look under the top strap and you will see if it is D&Ted.

It is D&Ted.

What is the height and width of you front sight and what is the width of the rear sight blade?

Your front sight, on your website, seemed quite tall.

I also liked the look of your Nill grips. I am going to see if anyone has them around here.

It is D&Ted.

What is the height and width of you front sight and what is the width of the rear sight blade?

I also liked the look of your Nill grips. I am going to see if anyone has them around here.

Did you mean my 586? I´ll have a look and measure the sights for you - anyway, its a higher front sight than the standard one. The rear sight is filed a little bit deeper and wider. Originally the LPA sight is very tight and not very deep - and I like to see a little more light at the side of my front sight picture. But I´ll measure it!

Nill website has also a area for USA and as I understand, they will ship to USA directly... But I´m sure, there are some distributors in USA as well....

The grip of the Nill PPC grip is fantastic! (But unfortunately, they are a little bit pricey...

DVC!

Sascha

It is D&Ted.

I have an LPA on a 5" 610 with a .250" front SDM FO sight

I aslo have one on a 6.5" 610 with a .300" SDM front FO sight

The one thats on it way will go on a 5" 686 with a .250" SDM front FO sight

The LPA rear sights would be going on a 627, the front sight would likely be an SDM fiber optic.

I too like to see light on the sides of the front sight - I think it works much better for IPSC and ICORE type matches.

We were able to try one of the Nill grips some four months ago but not the style you have. The one we had access to was one of the Replacement ones, costing about $109. It felt very good and placed the fingers nicely but with that particular model there was noticable amount of muzzel flip compared to the Hogue rubber grips or Jerry's grips, also made by Hogue.

But the Nill grip we tried was not long enough to really place the weak hand effectively - there was no place for the little finger and part of the weak hand and that, I think, made those grips quite "flippy".

But I´ll measure it!

Hello Viggen,

I´ve measured:

Revo 1: front sight (black target sight) 0,2345 high / 0,126 wide | rear sight: 0,157 wide

Revo 2: front sight (black target sight) 0,2845 high / 0,128 wide | rear sight: 0,145 wide

best,

Sascha

As an option that will work on most new S&Ws without altering the front sight, take a look at Hamilton Bowen's "Rough Country" rear sights (http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/shop/default.asp?action=_top&category=10).

I have a set on a custom .44 Special he built for me, and I'm planning on putting them on all my S&Ws, assuming I hit the lottery...gives me a Bomar-esque sight picture.

Michael B

Are there different models of the LPA sights dependent on the size of the front sight or is it one size fits all? If it is one size fits all have you had any problem maxing out adjustments when using the taller sights?

Also, I think someone said Randy Lee was going to make a rear blade that was deeper and wider that standard one used now. Has anyone heard anymore on this?

I'm looking to replace the rear sight on my S&W Model 14. I use the taller SDM fiber optic front sight and my rear factory sight is maxed out.

The LPA sights look really nice, but why would I want them over the Weigand rear blade? I can get 4 Wegand blades for the price of one LPA. :blink:

I've had a Wegand on my 625 for a couple of years now and it has been perfect.

Two problems I've seen with the Weigand blade: (1) they don't fit very well, and tend to flop around quite a bit. Probably not enough to matter while actually shooting, but it bugs me; (2) the edges eventually turn silver in color and because they're aluminum, you can't cold-blue 'em and make 'em nice and black again.

I've never found anything better than the Millett rear revolver sight.

I like my Milletts very much. But let me ask for the sake of asking, does the LPA fit my veterans 625-2 and -3?

They do but, you have to drill and tap the top strap. 6-48 tap

Got an email from Hamilton Bowen that he is finishing up the work on a competition version of his "Rough Country" S&W sights. At my suggestion, he's going to send some of the prototypes to Randy Lee for his opinion...pray that Randy doesn't also see Hamiton's price list!

Michael B

Got an email from Hamilton Bowen that he is finishing up the work on a competition version of his "Rough Country" S&W sights. At my suggestion, he's going to send some of the prototypes to Randy Lee for his opinion...pray that Randy doesn't also see Hamiton's price list!

Michael B

So what's the skinny Mike !?!?!?!

Serrated blade ?? V notch ?? Outlines ?? Big Blade ??

The rough country sights look great but look more suited to carry than compitition,

oh well, post a pic when you can !

And yes they are pricey, but they look tank-tough.

• 2 weeks later...
Revo 1: front sight (black target sight) 0,2345 high / 0,126 wide | rear sight: 0,157 wide

Revo 2: front sight (black target sight) 0,2845 high / 0,128 wide | rear sight: 0,145 wide

best,

Sascha

Hi Byron,

these are the dimensions of my two LPA sights B)

best,

Sascha

• 3 weeks later...
Hello Viggen,

I think, it´s the LPA sight that you have seen:

TXT-thumb.jpg

-> have a look at LPA web page

I think, Randy is selling them in USA!

best,

Sascha

btw - I´ve the LPA sights on my two Revo´s for IPSC Revolver Standard - they´re fine!

To continue the work in progress.

The installation of LPA sights on a 5" 625.

We tried the LPA's using the .250 height front sight, yesterday. It's a nice sight. But we do need the tall front.

Our front sights are .250 SDM Fiber Optic. We find that it will be necessary to change to the .300 SDM - The same height front sight we use for the standard S&W rear sight with the deep slot.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if these sights use the T nut from the Smith and Wesson sights?

My question really is... What screws and or nuts do you have to use from the original sights. When you order the LPA sights, is everything in the package to mount them on the frame.

Thank you,

Armando