Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee Pro 1000 Adjustable Powder Measure

Does anyone have any suggestions (other than buy a Dillon) on how to get my Squib 1000 to drop a consistant charge. I am having to weigh almost every case since it is so unreliable. Trying for 4.0 grains, I am getting variations from 1.9 to 4.9! :angry:

I have almost 2 lbs of powder through the system. I use graphite on the charge bar. Lee says that the Adjustable Charge bar will not function correctly until it has had a pound of powder cycled through it.

I have countersunk the body of the powder unit. I found that the sides of the Adjustable bar powder space was wider than the hole the powder drops through. Therefore it rakes some of the powder back and forth without dropping it.

I have smoothed the powder reservoir, and wiped it out to prevent static.

I have used Clays and Titegroup. Lee says their product is unreliable with flake powders, so I switched to a spherical powder like Titegroup.

I have contacted Lee several times. They just keep sending me form letters that make it obvious no one there actually reads the mail. Several times they have sent me responses to a totally different problem than what I am having. :angry: Lee customer support absolutely sucks. I hope they read this but they probably wouldn't understand it!

Anybody else have any ideas.

I have been reloading with a Pro 1000 for about 15 years. My original one was in .45 ACP and never failed me. When I started shooting .40, I found it was easier just to buy another entire reloader in .40 (and not that much more expensive). I found I had trouble with this one and the trouble was centered around how the powder measure discs did their thing. The new one had a different kind of mechanism. It had a lever that moved the disc to dump the powder in the empty casing, and a chain that returned it to the powder hopper. The chain returning it to the hopper did not function very well at all. As a result, the disc would not get fully back into position, and it could not completely fill back up with powder. I never had a problem with too much powder, but I would get varying degrees of too little powder (or none at all).

The mechanism on my .45 loader operates with a spring and works much better. I found that this mechanism was interchangable with the .40 loader, so I put it on it and now I have no trouble at all (I rarely reload .45 anymore, but if I do, I'll just switch it back).

So essentially, if you have the chain type disc return, this could be causing the problem, and if you can get the spring type, that may fix it.

Guys.

Just stating the obvious here.

If you are having such a big variation as 1.9 to 4.9 then the measure is NOT SET UP CORRECTLY.

If the chain is not bringing the disk back far enough then the chain is NOT SET UP CORRECTLY.

I loaded thousands upon thousands of rounds on a pro 1000 and never had more than a tenth or so of variation.

When setting up the chain you need to make sure there is a little tension on the spring when the shellplate carrier is in the down position.

al

Guys.

Just stating the obvious here.

If you are having such a big variation as 1.9 to 4.9 then the measure is NOT SET UP CORRECTLY.

If the chain is not bringing the disk back far enough then the chain is NOT SET UP CORRECTLY.

I loaded thousands upon thousands of rounds on a pro 1000 and never had more than a tenth or so of variation.

When setting up the chain you need to make sure there is a little tension on the spring when the shellplate carrier is in the down position.

al

I gradually tightened the chain until it eventually broke. It never reliably returned the powder disc, but I have mine worked out now.

Thanks.

Edited by folsoml

The idea of the bar not moving completely back to original position is one that I have not explored and will check it out right away.

I do have the chain and spring type set up. I have had the chain so tight it broke several times. I finally went and bought three foot lengths of the chain so I can keep it under spring tension. If I break the chain, I just throw away the short piece and reattach the remainder.

I do have the spring that would have been used if it were not the newer version. Maybe I can try to go retro with it somehow.

By the way, I didn't mention it before but I am loading .45 ACP.

If you both have yours working in good order, what do you see as a normal variance in powder drop?

Thanks for the ideas.

Jim

I preferred to use the chain return method instead of the spring only. The spring method can stick and if you are not paying attention you can cycle a few ( or many ) times before you notice it. It can also stick and when the shellplate is down can return with a bang and then you wonder how many times did I cycle while that was stuck.

The chain on the other hand is pretty much fool proof if set up correctly.

The chain is a set length and will not stretch. The shellplate carrier will not go fully down unless the disk is fully retracted. If the disk or adjustable charge bar is sticking enough to break the chain something needs looking at.

al

I have only broken the chain in trying to maintain good tension on it. If hangs up, or anything in the shellplate travel, it snaps. This is since the chain has to travel through the hole in the attachment plate as it moves up and down.

If all is normal the chain is tight when the shell plate is bottomed out, which just a bit of pressure on the spring.

I checked to see if my powder bar is moving full travel to its home location. It does. The bar makes full and consistant travel end to end, every time. So no resolution there.

I tried attaching a small fish tank air pump to the side of the powder hopper. The pump vibrates when running, and did a good job of transmitting its vibration through the hopper. I thought this might keep the powder moving. :angry: It didn't.

I ran several test runs of shells, I still have a variation from 3.7 to 4.6.

Jim

I have only broken the chain in trying to maintain good tension on it. If hangs up, or anything in the shellplate travel, it snaps. This is since the chain has to travel through the hole in the attachment plate as it moves up and down.

Its a good idea to leave a few inches of chain on the bottom after the spring holder is clipped on. This helps the chain to run back through the hole and not hang over and snag.

I tried attaching a small fish tank air pump to the side of the powder hopper. The pump vibrates when running, and did a good job of transmitting its vibration through the hopper. I thought this might keep the powder moving. :angry: It didn't.

I ran several test runs of shells, I still have a variation from 3.7 to 4.6.

Jim

I dont think that would be necessary.

I only ever used Bullseye, power pistol, n340 and 231 a don't know about other powders.

IF you use the charge disks do you get a more consistant charge drop.

al

Here's what I tried so far.

I took out the Adjustable Charge Bar.

I took the .37, .40, etc. disc and emery sanded out one of the smaller holes that I don't use. I got a little excited and went just past where I wanted to land. So I may have try this again.

Results from charging 100 cases.

Avg. 4.425 grains of Titegroup

4.2 @ 02 - Low

4.3 @ 19

4.4 @ 39

4.5 @ 33

4.6 @ 06

4.7 @ 01 -High

I don't know what you guys are getting for consistancy, but this looks like it should keep me out of 'Minor' Territory.

This is the best accuracy I have achieved so far with a Lee. Now to see if it holds.

Here's what I tried so far.

I took out the Adjustable Charge Bar.

I took the .37, .40, etc. disc and emery sanded out one of the smaller holes that I don't use. I got a little excited and went just past where I wanted to land. So I may have try this again.

Results from charging 100 cases.

Avg. 4.425 grains of Titegroup

4.2 @ 02 - Low

4.3 @ 19

4.4 @ 39

4.5 @ 33

4.6 @ 06

4.7 @ 01 -High

I don't know what you guys are getting for consistancy, but this looks like it should keep me out of 'Minor' Territory.

This is the best accuracy I have achieved so far with a Lee. Now to see if it holds.

I just had another thought about this.

Are you sure that the problem is with the powder measure and not the scale.

al

Aero,

at the risk of sounding stupid, I'll throw in the following.

Assuming you're using a Lee Pro Auto-Disk powder dispenser, are you sure you didn't install the hopper with front side turned to back?

I ask this because I did it a few times, and the result was that the charge hole on the hopper was no longer perfectly aligned with the disks or charge bar hole.

If the hopper is turned backwards (i.e. the black square base is not facing you, but the rounded base is) the holes are no longer one on top of the other, and the powder charge being dropped is inconsistent.

I never had any problems with mine using the disks or the adjustable bar.

I never tried to modify or sand a thing and I used W231, H110, Vit 330 as my main powders.

The design is very much like the Dillon and others and works well. I only broke one chain and ordered a couple spares and still have them in the drawer.

I no longer use mine as they were replaced by a 650.

• 2 months later...

I got a second set of dies with another powder measurer and had a problem like yours. Take the powder hopper off of the powder charger (remove the brass nuts and just lift it off) and check to make sure the silicone wipper is extending beyond the plastic part. I had one that was too short and not making contact with the charge bar and that was what was giving me the trouble. I contacted Midway USA (where I odered the powder hopper upgrade kit) and they sent me replacement parts free of charge.

Joe W.

• 2 weeks later...

Never had any problem with mine. I have the chain system. The powder measure seems to work on its own with gravity, (or gets pulled down from the belled case being extracted). The chain doesn't actually pull the lever down unless the lever gets stuck in the up positon. I've only used W231 through it and it meters fine.

ArnisAndyz I see what you mean. But because of the way I am running my dies there is no place to hook the chain to with the powder being on station one instead of station two where it was designed to be. I have been 100% happy with my set up.

Joe W.

ArnisAndyz I see what you mean. But because of the way I am running my dies there is no place to hook the chain to with the powder being on station one instead of station two where it was designed to be. I have been 100% happy with my set up.

Joe W.

hmmm...I'm running mine the same way (bell and charge on station 1) and the return lever that the chain attaches to runs right between the 2 other dies? the chain goes through the same hole in the back. I do have an older model 1000 and I have the swivel mount that allows the powder measure to rotate, maybe it makes it high enough to clear?

• 1 month later...

I have been loading with the lee 1000 for over 15 years. I used the old one with the square hopper/spring setup, with few problems, and am now using the newer model with the chain return. I had the same problems as you are having, many inconsitant powder throws, mostly light and some not at all. After sitting back and really paying attention to what was going on with the powder delivery I noticed that the problem was always on returning the disc/charge bar all the way back, this is the main problem, the disc/charge bar has to go forward because of the arm pushing it forward.

But with the chain it was not going all the way back, not set correctly????

I fixed this problem by getting rid of the chain system altogether. I made a small bracket and connected it to mounting bolt and then used a long spring and connected it to the hole in the arm and the small hole in the bracket I made up, result no more problems with inconsistant loads. You may have to try a few different springs for the right amount of tension. I have different ones set up on my 38super, 9mm, 357 presses.

I have been loading with the lee 1000 for over 15 years. I used the old one with the square hopper/spring setup, with few problems, and am now using the newer model with the chain return. I had the same problems as you are having, many inconsitant powder throws, mostly light and some not at all. After sitting back and really paying attention to what was going on with the powder delivery I noticed that the problem was always on returning the disc/charge bar all the way back, this is the main problem, the disc/charge bar has to go forward because of the arm pushing it forward.

But with the chain it was not going all the way back, not set correctly????

I fixed this problem by getting rid of the chain system altogether. I made a small bracket and connected it to mounting bolt and then used a long spring and connected it to the hole in the arm and the small hole in the bracket I made up, result no more problems with inconsistant loads. You may have to try a few different springs for the right amount of tension. I have different ones set up on my 38super, 9mm, 357 presses.

ghost1,

could please post a pic or two of your modification

Thanks

spankymac

+1 on the pics.

I am interested in seeing how this works.

I am having a few problems with my computer, seems I have problems with a few of my programs, thats what you get when you share computers with your kids, but as soon as I have it fixed I will try and get son pics done. You will probably have to wait a week or so as I am flat out at the moment.

I will try and explain a little further;

I made up a small plate, about 1/16 to 1/8 thick and about 1'' by about a 1/4'' wide, then I drilled a hole the same size as the rear mounting bolt at one end and a small hole at the end that is sticking out to the left hand side of the press when looking at it straight on.

Then all you have to do is buy a coil spring attach one end through the hole in the disc arm where the chain already goes through and the other end to the small hole in the plate.

So you see the spring has to be long enough to go from the back mounting bolt all the way up to the arm that pushes the disc forward, very simple you might say, it is really.

The only thing is you have to work out is the tension the spring needs to return the disc all the way back to the rearmost position. I have two presses and I had to use two different spring tensions, by the way these tensions a not that great that they have to pull a train, in fact they are, at a guess, 1lb maybe more or less Im sorry I got them from the local hardware store and I cant remember what they were. I attached these with very small key rings. like the bigger ones you put your keys on. So if in doubt and when I post the pictures you will actually see that they are not that strong. I hope this will help if not you will have to wait. sorry to inconvenience everbody.

Regards to all

By the way I just finished loading about 600 X 38 supers and had no problems whatsoever with the powder charges, as I check them every 100 or so, there wasnt much of a deviation of 1/10 in charges. I used to load 9mm on a dillon square deal but found it too slow, and it also had about the same powder throw deviation. It was too fiddly picking up cases as well as projectiles thats why I got rid of it.

By the way I just finished loading about 600 X 38 supers and had no problems whatsoever with the powder charges, as I check them every 100 or so, there wasnt much of a deviation of 1/10 in charges. I used to load 9mm on a dillon square deal but found it too slow, and it also had about the same powder throw deviation. It was too fiddly picking up cases as well as projectiles thats why I got rid of it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have used the Pro Auto Disc for many years now. I use one with the double disc kit on 223 and another on .40 cal. When you first get them if you wash the parts in regular old dish soap, and allow them to dry without rinsing, that seems to address the static electricity issue. You gotta make sure the reservoir is set over the charging hole properly, and that the rubber washer extends a wee bit from the bottom of the reservoir where it rubs on the charging disc.

The chain system is a fail safe device to help avoid double charges were the shell holder to not advance. I swapped that out for the spring loaded setup on mine and haven't had a problem since doing that.

Both mine work fine, although they like the smaller spherical powders best, the double disc will throw Varget +/- .1 grain. It doesn't like H4895 quite so well.

Good luck with yours.