Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Setup For My Ar-15

bberkley

My newly reconfigured AR-15. I'm taking it out to shoot on Monday after work. I ordered a couple of small 1/2" rail risers from Yankee Hill Machine to raise the ACOG up, as I feel it is an awkward position for me. My Aimpoint has a 1/2" riser on it, and I like the heads-up position I can have with that on the other AR. This rifle is light. About 7 lbs.

Bushmaster lower w/ Magpul M93B stock, JP firecontrol system (w/antiwalk pins), Magpul enhanced trigger guard, SPR grip.

MSTN-built upper w/ 16" Douglas SS bbl, PRI rifle-length competition forearm, MSTN qc brake, LMT upper, LMT full-auto bolt carrier, hard-chromed 6.8 bolt, and PRI gasbuster charging handle, with a Trijicon ACOG TA31F to top it off.

mstn68spc1.jpg

mstn68spc2.jpg

mstn68spc3.jpg

Edited by bberkley

I havent really kept up with the work on the 6.8 but I think it was marginal major with some loads, but like I said, major with a 16in would be a far step. Would be cool, but I think we would be seeing a bunch of them if it could be done.-----Larry

Nice blaster. I'm only curious on why a 6.8. Not that it's a bad thing. I'll be building at least one 6.8 when I get to back to the US.

Don't know anyone that's making major with it yet, so that's what draws the question.

It looks light and fast. Definitely a keeper. Job well done.

Rich

I guess I just liked the idea of 6.8. I mean, what's not to like about twice the bullet weight at nearly the same velocity, all in the same envelope of an AR?

I never considered another caliber. Maybe it can make major someday, I don't really care. I don't shoot enough 3gun for that to matter.

Plus, there is something cool about a rifle chambered in a round that was developed/conceived by guys downrange in the fight, and not one foisted on them by a beancounter.

I'll have more to say tomorrow when I shoot it.

Ok, I got out to shoot this yesterday afternoon with Remington Express 115gr OTM. I put about 40 rounds through it, pretty much had it dialed in at 100 yards after about 5 shots. I will probably have to re-zero it as I am going to try some 1/2" rail risers to elevate the Acog a bit.

I love this setup. 6.8 makes some nice holes (that I can see w/ 4x mag) unlike the .223. It doesn't feel any different than my other AR in .223 when shooting.

I am going to have to try Hornady and Silver State Armory ammo as well. Once I get dies, I will load up some rounds using Zak's load data to start with.

• 1 month later...