Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Man What A Learning Curve!

Barrettone

Well, I just got back from my first major of the year, and boy did I learn a lot!!! While I have shot several majors before, it was always while working, and I never really had a good chance to do well and RO (as most know it is difficult to do). Just being a competitor is nice, but there were some perils that I had not been aware of. After my teammates and I had left the range we critiqued each other while driving home to Michigan. I couldn't understand how I could start out so well at a match, yet finish so poorly. The first six stages went well...no mikes, no penalties, and fair times with solid hits...but it was all downhill from there. Mental errors were abundant on those last 4 stages, and I couldn't figure out why. I was doing stupid stuff like leaving 3 mikes on a stage that I KNEW were there, and was not executing my plans like I was earlier. In short, I was breaking down. I actually had 6 mikes on those last four stages, and as a result, I totally blew the match!!!

What had ended up happenning, as far as we could tell, is that I was not hydrating properly. I wasn't drinking water, and it caught up with me (I drank 3 Gatorades, and two large sodas on the way home, and still didn't have to pee at all). I can still see myself trying to rationalize and explain my foolish decision to leave 3 mikes on stage 7 to Hopalong, who could only look at me quizzically as if to say "Son, you just can't do those kinds of things". As was said by one of the revo guys: "Jerry M. once gave me a piece of advice: Have a good Plan A, and a better Plan B". Well, I had a Plan B for the first 6 stages, but for some odd reason, just didn't "think" I needed a Plan B once I got on my seventh stage. I can't tell you why...I just know that I didn't have one, because as soon as Plan A went to hell, I'd crap my pants and walk in circles. :wacko: I literally fell apart, and it was, in my opinion (and others) because I got too cocky. I was doing so well, that I probably didn't figure I needed a Plan B, and it finally caught up with me when fatigue set in.

I think I would have benefitted (in retrospect) from shooting over two days. I fought like hell to get Wayne to offer one day slots, and he did. I guess you need to be careful what you wish for. Since I always RO'd at these majors, we could leisurely shoot the stages, and if we didn't finish...oh well, we'd get them the next day when we had a break. I now realize that I need to train my body to handle this different environment. I have Area 7 this next weekend, and rest assured, I won't make the same mistake twice!!! I will DEFINITELY pace myself more, and look at it as a marathon and not a sprint. Hopalong said it best..."It's hard to learn this game by yourself, but that is what you have to do sometimes, as there are not a lot of revo guys at local matches". The only way to get good is to watch and observe other revo guys at the major matches.

Well, I have been weighed and measured, and I know where I need to improve. I am happy with my shooting, and my reloads were good, but I need to work on stage breakdown and pay attention to fluid intake and eat better during the match (granola here I come!). It was nice to see Hop, Airedale, Zookeeper (with his slow-ass chrono...I BARELY made major!!! :P ), and all the other revo guys. What a fun bunch!!! Willing to help, and always looking to bolster participation in Revo Division. Thanks guys!!!

Jeff

Edited by Barrettone

In short, I was breaking down. I actually had 6 mikes on those last four stages, and as a result, I totally blew the match!!!

SNIP

I will DEFINITELY pace myself more, and look at it as a marathon and not a sprint. Hopalong said it best..."It's hard to learn this game by yourself, but that is what you have to do sometimes, as there are not a lot of revo guys at local matches". The only way to get good is to watch and observe other revo guys at the major matches.

SNIP again

but I need to work on stage breakdown and pay attention to fluid intake and eat better during the match (granola here I come!). It was nice to see Hop, Airedale, Zookeeper (with his slow-ass chrono...I BARELY made major!!! :P ), and all the other revo guys. What a fun bunch!!! Willing to help, and always looking to bolster participation in Revo Division. Thanks guys!!!

Jeff

Thanks for sharing Jeff. The mental game is my absolute weakest point. As for Hydration, well, I plan on 10 stages next week and just as much water. I usually run out of gas before the last stage and will be trying not to let that happen this time. (probably won't make a difference score wise but I will feel better about it ;) )

Hope to meet you at some point next week.

Regards,

Gary

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

Hydration is important but bring along some fruit and an energy bar or two. Plan on something every three to 4 hours to help keep you energy up. There is a good thread on here about Cliff Bars being a good supply of energy.

If you come to Area 2 make sure you are drinking lots of water. The old story is if you aren't going to the bathroom you aren't drinking enough. Danger Will Robinson ! ! !

Shooting major matches is tough stuff..then when you add in enviromental factors over extended period of time..you really overload your body and brain..

to shoot well..we practice with things perfect so that your brain is fully focused..when you add heat, dehydration, dust, cold, wet..your brain needs to take care of other things so that your body maintains function..

that is why hydration and good food is important..

the last match I shot..was in 90-95 degree heat and occassional wind..I was pretty proud of myself...I worked at hydrating myself the day before and during the match I was downing like a bottle of propel, water or diluted gatorade on each stage and a bite or two of a cliff bar or power bar or a piece of fruit....at the end the two days..I was tired..but not beat up..felt good actually..

Plans..work them out..even the little speed shoots..take the time to program them in..I have burned too many times..by thinking a stage is straight forward and doing a shorter walkthrough..

Hey Jeff, I know all about the hydration thing. At Area 4 last year one of my friends was R.O.ing and went down because of not hydrating himself, he had been drinking diet cokes all day, very bad choice. We had to put gatorade and pedialyte into him. The CRO I was working with had been asking me all day, was there something wrong that I was going to the porta-john every other squad? My reply was Nothing wrong here. People sometimes forget to hydrate when shooting, they have other"more important things" like shooting on their minds. Hey and good luck with the wheelgun, most fun you can have imho. Mac

Jeff,

Can't you come to these ideas after you shoot against me at area 7? I need some kind of chance for the point series match. I look foward to meeting you in Rochester.

dgsmith:

Don't worry buddy...just shoot your game, and it'll be fine. We're all here to learn together and make each other better...well, everybody EXCEPT Jerry Miculek...we all gotta catch him first!!! I can't wait to meet you...I'm shooting on Friday though, and scooting on Friday night. Hope we get a chance to hook up and talk shop.

All:

Thanks for all your kind words of encouragement, and willingness to offer up helpful advice (I need all the help I can get!!!). The revo guys are some of the best shooters to talk with about shooting improvement. I can't wait until we all meet at Summer Blast...What a fun time that will be!!! B)

DVC,

Jeff