Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 Acp Powders

newshooter

Hello every one I just started competition shooting and reloading not tooo long ago and I ended up spending the money one time and got my self a Dillon XL650 which I am veryyy happy with. I started off with buying 500 lead bullets which were 230grn. and a LB of W231 and after reading this board I see every one going with clays. I was wondering which powder is better for comp. shooting which accuracy is needed. From what I heard here at my Local range W231 was a great powder and from this forum I can see that Clays is what every one loads. what are your all thoughts between Clays and W231. I am knew to reloading and uspsa shooting so I am trying to gather all the knowledge that I can. thank you all for reading or answering my questions it is greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Joey

Clays has always been accurate for me in 45 acp, 231 has too. The real difference for me has been that Clays feels a lot softer, a side benefit is that Clays burns a lot cleaner. When loading lead clean is a relative term, everything will be filthy, but with jacketed or plated Clays will be a lot cleaner.

I used eclusively W231 for the longest time with good results. That being said, I just picked up 8lbs of Clays based on info on this board as well as a few old-timers advice at the local range. Haven't loaded anything with it yet, still finishing off the last of the 231, but I'm looking forward to working up some loads soon. Somebody also told me that Clays works great at minimum power floor levels but not as good as 231 at max-load hi psi levels. Can anybody verify this?

231....Clays....Titegroup....try them all ;)

I used 231 for a long time in 45. I tried Titegroup; mostly because I wanted to use the same powder for different calibers and 231 has issues with my .38 loads and TG was supposed to help that. TG uses less powder than 231 for the same velocity, but was not cleaner for me (plated and lead loads).

I just got some Clays (because the Titegroup is running out). So I will try that also.

Lee

Hello,

I also started out years ago using 231 in .45 acp, very accurate ! very dirty !

I have used clays and universal clays for cleaner burning and softer recoil.

Another good, clean, soft recoil powder is WST.

Good Luck !

Simple answer is that they are all good! :D

Nuthin wrong with W231! I think according to your guns W231 load might shrink your 25 and 50yd groups compared to CLAYS, But you will have to measure it with calipers. I can cloverleaf on a target with my CLAYS 230lrn loads at 25yds, so it is accurate enough for my uses, including IPSC. Either way you wont go wrong loading CLAYS or W231/HP38 in the 45acp!

DougC

Another good, clean, soft recoil powder is WST.

+1

Loaded unknown thousands in .45 with 230 lead and loved it for IPSC. Very accurate, nice soft push, and pretty clean.

Thanks for all the information. I have a lb of w231 and was thinking of getting 1lb of clays and now possibly wst haha. I am just interested in trying out new powders see how they work in my gun and how they feel. Thanks for answering my questions. W231 is a dirty powder so I think I will get clays first the after that one is done some wst well thank you all for your knowledge on these powders!!!

JOEY

Virtually all the powders mentioned will provide accurate reloads. A lot of it is customer preference and availability. W-231, Bullseye, Unique, WST, WSF and the Vihtavouri powders measure very uniformly. Clays and American Select are not quite as uniform in metering but provide equal accuracy.

I used Acurate Arms #5 in the past, but after reading this board and all the pro's & con's of TiteGroup vs. Clays. I bought a pound of Hogden's TiteGroup.

Got a couple hundred loaded, waiting to go to the range and try them out.

• 2 weeks later...

Fact of the matter though for some types of competition (he/you did not specify) Clays will not get to major based on max load vs speed attained if the bullits are too light. I can not get 200 gr to get any higher than 800 fps with copper jackets. I switch to different powders to try to entertain different bullets.

The funny thing is that I have been reloading and shooting 45 for about 3 years now, and have never shot 230 gr. I just got 2300 230 P(lated)Ball and going to use the rest of the clays I had for 225 LRN.

Burn the powder than can get you there, if more than one is available, try them out then.

I've found titegroup to be a better .40 powder.

I've used at least 100 lbs of W231 in .45 loads over the years without much complaint. What I've discovered for 220 - 230 grain loads is plain old Clays is much cleaner, smokes less with cast practice loads, and gives an acceptable recoil pulse. Cheaper as well.

Clays has worked great so far in 166 - 176 PF loads.

I settled on Clays myself. General impressions of powder in .45acp:

231 - meters well, recoil not bad, easy to make major PF, leaves the gun very dirty.

Titegroup - meters well, harsh recoil, slight residue on gun, burns HOT, spent cases too hot to touch and the slide/barrel get that way in a hurry too.

N310 - meters well, soft recoil, consistent, clean, expensive.

Clays - fluffy and some say it meters poorly (haven't had any problems as long as I keep the powder bar/channel on my Dillon clean), soft recoil, clean, pretty consistent at major PF, inexpensive.

I favored N310 just slightly, but not enough to convince me to pay the price. I run 4.1gr. Clays with 230gr. FMJs out of any old piece of brass I find on the range. :lol: I'd run N310 if I were to shoot 200gr. bullets at major PF though. It seemed like that was pushing Clays a little too much in my gun.