Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Open Shooter With Some Questions

Fireant

I have an open gun that started life as a Dawson practical with several upgrades then went to Bedell and had a new barrel and ti comp with 2 holes installed. I've searched and still have some questions. If I'm reading things right I can shoot both 38 super and super comp from the same gun? the super comp would give me 1 more round in each mag? Can I use Berry's plated bullets in an open gun? I thought super was .356, but the previous owner told me he was using .355 is that an o.k. thing to do?

Thanks, I'm sure there will be tons more questions in the future.

You can shoot 38 Super, 38 Supercomp, or 38 TJ in your gun, but you will probably have some ejection/extraction issues. The 38 Super is a rimmed case and the Supercomp & TJ are rimless. The extractor needs to be adjusted differently for a rimless case. Aftec makes an extractor for 38 Super and a different one for Supercomp. Best to decide which one you will use and have the gun tuned to work with that case.

Stay away from plated bullets in the 38 Super. Use a jacketed bullet.

LJE

Edited: Sorry, forgot about the bullet. The .355 bullet should work fine.

Edited by LJE

Stay away from plated bullets in the 38 Super. Use a jacketed bullet.

LJE

I have no problems with Berry's plated bullets. And I believe Saul Kirsch (top 10 shooter) uses them as well.

Edited by Ameiza

Some guns work better with .355 or .356 - both are fine forthat caliber, in general. Most "Super" barrels are .355 bores..... if you have problems with velocities or accuracy with .355 bullets, try .356 they should seal better in some barrels.

Plated bullets can be a problem with barrel holes-- I noticed a lot of copper flaking and buildup there when I tried it and I've heard of worse happening. Doesn't seem to be a problem with comp-only guns.

I tried Berry's bullets and had a problem with them tumbling and shedding the jacket at major velocities. My gun is set up with a comp and no barrel holes. I also had trouble with them in a limited gun. I heard some people have been able to use them. I just never could get them to work.

Mike

All right now we have another gun to switch back and forth with every other week.

I shoot 38 super, super comp and TJ in both of my Open guns. They both have barrel holes. I would not shoot anything but a jacketed bullet in Open due to the velocities.

I shoot 125 gr Zero JHPs with 10.4 gr 3N38, Win SRP, 1.250 OAL in my short SV with the Scheuman barrel. The long gun I cut the powder backto 9.2 - to 9.3 gr. Both loads are with SC or TJ brass.

Roger,

I owned that gun once. Phil and I traded a couple of times for it. It will run super or comp......no problems with either. I also have shot plated (Ranier) bullets and did not have any problems. BTW, the Trubor set-up with 7625 is the way to go.

DaG

• 1 month later...

Darren,

Good to hear from you. Which one is the trubor set-up. I shot 150 rounds of real practice with it today and it ran great. I'm shooting my first match with it this Sat.

Roger,

The Trubor is the two chamber comp/barrel. Which set up did you shoot? The Bedell is lighter and faster to move but the Trubor seemed to shoot alot flatter. Either way you go, 7625 seemed to work that gun best. BTW, do ya'll ever go to Summerville? I'm coming down there in 2 weeks to meet Phil and shoot the match.

Darren,

I was shooting the Bedell comp. I'll give the other a try. We do go to summerville sometimes. I wasn't planning on going next month, but might since your coming down. I'll need some open pointers.