Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Just Bought Some Titegroup

lpspinner

After reading through all these post, I decided I wanted a new powder for my attempt to return to IPSC shooting.

I have been using AA#5 for years, but have decided to leave that for the .380, 9mm & .40.

So, I'll use the TiteGroup for .45 acp and .45 LC.

Base on what people have said here, I'll be using a charge of 4.7gr over a 230gr RN plated bullet from the Hard Cast Bullet Company, seated to an oal of 1.20".

My gun will be a never fired SAM 1911 government clone I purchased a few years back when Century first got them in.

Edited by lpspinner

After reading through all these post, I decided I wanted a new powder for my attempt to return to IPSC shooting.

I have been using AA#5 for years, but have decided to leave that for the .380, 9mm & .40.

So, I'll use the TiteGroup for .45 acp and .45 LC.

Base on what people have said here, I'll be using a charge of 4.7gr over a 230gr RN plated bullet from the Hard Cast Bullet Company, seated to an oal of 1.20".

My gun will be a never fired SAM 1911 government clone I purchased a few years back when Century first got them in.

I used 4.7 of Titegroup behind a Delta Precision 230 FMJ at my last match.

The loads at the chrono were pretty hot.

I was well over 800 fps and had a power factor of 186.

This was at 1.260 overall length.

The loads didn't chrono that hot when I checked them at home.

I suppose it may have been the warmer temperature.

Its possible my digital scale was drifting a bit.

If so I could have been loading a bit more powder than I thought.

If you are going to load at 1.200, I would back off a bit and work up. ;)

Play it safe.

Good luck and welcome back.

Tony

Edited by tlshores

Wasn't really sure what to expect from the title of the thread. I always thought they came per pair, not per group ;):P

:lol: I'm dyin laughing here!

Edited by Carl

Tony....Thanks for the advice. The Hogdon book places their recommended max at 4.8gr at an oal of 1.200". This is suppose to give me 919 fps. Their reference is also with a 5" barrel.

Since I'm using this at sea level in the not so hot San Francisco Bay Area. Hopefully I should be ok.

Unfortunately the indoor range that is 10 minutes from my home here is closed til they reopen at a new location. The nearest range is at least an hours drive, so testing is kinda hard when you want instant gratification.

Spook..... I'm going to be good and keep my mouth shut on that pair. ;)

JFD...... Any particular reason why you don't like TG? I was considering Clays, but everyone keep saying how soft it was.

Soft is a good thing, soft recoil is what they mean.

I don't have anything good to say about TiteGroup. I take that back, I will say ONE good thing about TiteGroup, it is cheap to buy. I have burned 4 pounds of it, mostly in 40 but also tried quite a few loads in 9mm and 45 acp. Best results for me were with top end 9mm loads, but even then there are other powders that work better in my opinion. It is inconsistent, some of the worst standard deviations I have ever had seem to be the rule with TG instead of the exception. It puts heat into the gun faster than anything else I have ever used. It smokes terribly with lead bullets. It is temperature sensitive enough that you need to consider it if loading even close to the PF floor.

No sir, no more TiteGroup for me, and for competition loads in 45 I went back to Clays exclusively. Clays has quite a few of the 'bad' characteristics I noted about Tite-Group, but not nearly as bad in my experience other than temp sensitivity. Clays IS temp sensitive and in this regard it is as bad as TiteGroup. N310 is nice too but for the money it just isn't worth it over Clays.

I too jumped on the TiteGroup train after mining the archives here for a couple months. I am not sorry I did, I learned plenty to make the experience worthwhile. I just won't be using any more.

lpspinner - There has been a wide variation in experience with TG. I've been generally pleased with it, especially in 9x19, where I typically get single digit standard deviations with it. I live in Lousiana, so I don't have to worry too much about velocity variations due to temperature - it's usually hot here. ;)

Hodgdon's data used a 230 grain flat point bullet, so it's going to be shorter than a round nose. RNs should be seated to about 1.27", which would give you about 750 fps with your bullet. You'll have no problem making the power factor with your present load. :D

HMSmith...... The words escaped me yesterday, what I meant by soft was slow. I've read how the slide action was a little slower with Clays. Price was not a factor. Either were like 22.00 a bottle.

revchuck, Steve....yep, you're right, I just looked at the book and it says for Flat Point. OK, looks like a batch at 1.27" it is. Hopefully I can get to the range today or tomorrow.

Boy, do I had the inconvenience of being in the PRK. :)

edited for spelling.

Edited by lpspinner

I have recently done some experimenting with N320, Titegroup and Clays.

Clays was clean, soft recoiling, and accurate.

My impression was that the slide cycle was very slow and lazy.

Maybe you could cure this by playing around with the springs but I wasn't comfortable with it.

Titegroup was even more accurate, soft shooting and had a snappy lock time.

It did seem to heat the gun a little quicker but I did not see this as a problem.

I don't shoot lead, so the smoking issue doesn't apply.

Of the three, Titegroup gave the lowest deviation, and the best accuracy (in my gun, YMMV).

Upon further review, it does seem to be temperature sensitive, but what powder isn't?

Tony

P.S. Pack up your guns and get out of San Francisco before they get confiscated by raging liberals.

Come to Tennessee, Georgia, or Alabama (where guns are issued at birth).

Plenty of shooting ranges here.

Edited by tlshores

lp, welcome to the forum. Do I recognize your hometowns from the last Franktown BLGC meeting? Welcome again. Titegroup loads for my 45ACP, 45 LC and 40 SW all shoot good to excellent. Can let you have 1/2 pound to work some loads if you want (won't be missed from my shelves). Headed to Pueblo for state match Sunday,but can get it to you this week. Looking forward to you coming out to the matches (3rd Sat of every month) http://hpps.org for more info.

PM me to arrange if your in CO this week.

Hoofy,

Yes you do. I've thought about the BLGC, but haven't got around to visiting. I thought the meeting were in Elizabeth, not Franktown? Thanks for the offer, but I went to a local store the other day in Cali and purchased a bottle.

My job got outsourced in CO, so I acceptted a transfer to Cali. I'm back in CO , once to twice a week now. I'll have to remember the 3rd Saturday. :) Thanks.