Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Prairie Dog Shooters/hunters Out There?

Howdy all,

I'm getting a Savage in .17 HMR. I'm still deciding on a scope: BSA's Sweet 17, or Cabela's own bullet drop compensating scope for the .17 HMR. The Cabela's has a side adjust knob.

I hope this topic isn't taboo on this forum.....I'm sure there are plenty of other forums out there for this sort of thing.

What else should I bring?

Any particular tactics that work well?

Where can I purchase .17 HMR in bulk, cheaply say 2,000 + rounds.

Is a forearm mounted bipod useful at all for hunting prairie dogs?

Thanks,

Chills

Are you taking any big guns like a 22/250 or anything? Pass on the cheap scopes and save yourself some headaches. I've only been prarie dog hunting on one trip for 3 days, so I'm not the best authority on it. I did manage to burn up a .17 Rem barrel on the trip. You'll want a good set of binos for sure and the bipod will come in handy. CDNN has always had good prices on 17HMR, but if they are out try Natchez Shooters Supply. I even took my bow, but it was too friggin windy the whole time we were out there (went to South Dakota). I'm building a couple of AR's for the next trip and will likely take 2-3K rounds each. Also make sure you have a cleaning kit handy for your 17. Some of them get finicky when dirty. Where are you going and how long?

Where to begin. Well, for me, I'll start with the caliber. A lot of the fun of prairie doggin' is getting out there and getting some long shots, which isn't going to happen with a 17. The smallest we (my father and I...as he's the only reason I go) is my AR's and his TC Contender (pistol and rifle) in .223. After that, he's running his trusty .22-250 all day and destroying anything under 600 yards. So, consider a bigger bullet.

After that, glass. Spend the money on a good scope. No one is saying go out and buy a USO, S&B or Horus. However, there is a middle ground. Look at some Leupolds, Burris and even Weaver for some decent and affordable scopes. Of course, if the mood strikes you, go up from there.

After that, we generally take 1-2 spotting scopes, I pack a small folding chair and then we've always got lunch as we've packed several thousand rounds and plan on being out there a while.

Hope that helped.

Rich

Most people have never spent the better part of an 8 to 10 hour day looking through a scope or binoculars. Youy eyes will thank you for good optics. You don't have to break the bank, Bushnell. Leupold, Burris etc. I have found I use a range finder and binoculars more than I ever use my spotting scope. I made a 3 legged shooting table and carry my gear in a bucket seat. I couldn't handle shooting prone all day. A good hat that covers your ears and sunscreen will also make for a pleasant trip. Good luck to you!

It helps to have several rifles to keep from shooting the bbl out in one right off the bat...You need good glass...and good binocs and even a good spotting scope...last time I went, I took my Lica spotting scope, Lica 10x42 binocs, and three rifles..a .222 Rem on a short 700 action, Kreiger bbl, and a 6.5x20 glass...a .250 Savage Ackley Imp, Wiseman bbl, 6.5x20 glass and a 257 Weatherby, PacNor bbl, and Nightforce scope...took 500 rounds for each, shot every one...

Shot out the Duce, and the Weatherby...had a super time...

Go, you'll like it.. :P

Don’t forget about your comfort a nice shooting pad for laying around on, sunscreen and water. If you’ve got a place that has a lot of dogs you might be able to shoot from a shooting platform placed in the bed if a truck.

Keep an eye out for Hawks, If they show up you will only get A$$ shots! Get the best scope $$$ can buy. When you start lobbing lead out to 500yds + the Paralax makes a differance. My Sod Poodle killing machine....Ruger Mod 77, Canjar double set triggers, 220 Swift, 55gr bullet 4200 FPS. ( Thats no joke!, I put 3 barrels on it when I was in Gunsmithing school.) We used to call it Sneezing, Cuz thats what it looked like when I hit one!..................YES I Know I will rott in hell for that!!

Ivan

Here is my gear list.

You are probably not going to be happy with that .17, especially if you are going to fields with a lot of hunting pressure. The PDs get really skittish.

IMHO...A 22-250 is the minimum you want as a primary gun. At least one back up rifle is a good idea. Heavy PD shooting is a torture test for sure. A broken firing pin can ruin your week.

Also....A revolver with birdshot is handy if the rattlesnakes are thick.

I hunt a lot of prarie dogs. It's a passion. I use a .22-250 for short range work and a 7mm STW for long range work. So far this summer I have shot three p-dawgs with the STW. Good optics, a quality range finder, and a buddy to act as spotter are necessary. I also carry those little pocket radios for calling shots and confirming distances.