Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2006 Bianchi Cup

BigDave

Shooting begins tomorrow and continues through Friday. 140 shooters are signed up :angry: , ~half are shooting multiple guns. When they asked how many newcomers there were at the shooters meeting tonight, probably 2 doz raised their hand :wub: (I was in the middle of the room - it was hard to tell, but it was more than a few for sure).

If it gives anyone any idea of how "busy" this match is this year, they are only running one Mover (the upper mover will only be used for the side event, not the regular match).

Most of the regular suspects are present: Koenig, TGO, Bruce, Jerry, Tony H., Don G. I'm sure Mike V. (aka El Pres) is here, but I didn't see him yet. I saw and said hello to Phil and Julie Goloski (shooting full Open, no Glock). The WV/VA krewe is here, as is (I believe) the Louisiana group (really, how many conversations will you overhear the words Cameron or Calcasieu Parish?). GMIprod, GrantJ and Kiwi? (I forget his handle here, but his name is Karl Piper) are all present, as well as a handfull of Aussies.

Practical and Barricade for me tomorrow starting at noon. I'll try to shoot and post some pics and give as many updates as I'm able to as the week goes along. If anyone else has updates, feel free to plug them in as well.

PS - 2lb triggers suck :angry:

Barricade - Metallic

TGO 472/35

Jerry 464/24

Vance 453/16

Robert 464/25

Barricade - Open

TonyH 480/46

Doug 480/46

Bruce 480/44

El Pres 480/44

Kevin 480/37 (Action Pistolero)

Plates - Metallic

Strader - 470/47

Seeklander 470/47

Plates - Open Lady

Julie G. 450/45

International (through two events)

GMIprod - 900

Karl P - 952

Enrico - 937

Scores right now are a little jacked because some of the match numbers are inaccurate. Most of the big dogs shoot two events on the main gun tomorrow (Open - Plates & Practical, Metallic - Mover & Practical)

Here's a pic of Jerry with his Open Modified revolver (look ma! no wings!!!)

post-182-1148523767_thumb.jpg

Would someone mind explaining the scoring?

The Bianchi Cup consists of four main events: Mover, Falling Plates, Barricade and Practical.

The Plates consist of a rack of 6 8" metal plates worth 10 pts and 1 X each. They are shot at 10, 15, 20 and 25 yds in 6, 7, 8 and 9 seconds respectively - 2 strings per distance. 48 shots total - 480 pts and 48 x's possible.

The other three matches utilize the NRA D-1 "Tombstone" target (ICORE uses the same target). The center of the target is a 4" X ring worth 10 pts. The next righg is the 10 pt ring, 8" in diameter. The next ring is the 8 pt ring (12" diameter). Beyond the 8 pt ring, any hit on the paper is worth 5 pts.

The Barricade and Practical utlize two D-1 targets. Very basically each is shot at increasing distances (max 35 yds Barricade, 50 yds Practical) and an increased "par" time the further away your are. Each match has a total of 48 required shots, worth a maximum of 1 X and 10 pts ea - 480 pts, 48x's per match.

The Mover utilizes a single target that moves at 10 fps left to right (and back) in front of the shooter, exposed for 60 ft (60 ft/10 fps = 6 seconds per pass). 6 shots per pass at 10 and 15 yds (both directions - 12 shots per distance). 3 shots per pas, 4 passes at 20 and 25 yds. Again, 48 total shots, 480 pts possible, 48 x max.

The total match is 1920 pts and 192 X. The world record held by Doug Koenig is 1920 187X. The X's are used for tie breakers. Usually there are 3-4 people who post a 1920 total score, but the winner is decided by the number of X's.

The tough part of this match, other than the shooting challenge, is that the match is shot, in IPSC/USPSA terms, Virginia Count. There are no make-up shots. Once the targets turn or the buzzer goes off, the 2, 4 or 6 shots that are required is all you get - period. Gun jams? Sorry. You though a shot? Too bad. 192 lessons in trigger control.

Dave,

Thanks for the updates! You might want to keep an eye on the "Kid" from VA, Travis Hayton. He's down only 10 points after the Barricade and the Mover, and those are his worst events at home. He regularly cleans the plates and ends up in a shoot-off with Kevin for Xs in that event. Looks like he stands a good chance of taking the Junior class from here.

Keep up the good work, and as Jim used to tell us at Winimac, "shoot 'em in the middle"!

Alan~^~

Alan - yeah, Travis is shooting like a madman!!! There was a rain delay yesterday for the folks finishing up the Mover, of which Travis was victim of. Apparently it didn't phase him - he shot a 474 :o !!! Also, Nathan Tait (AUS) apparently had issues yesterday so it looks like Travis is in really, really good shape - even if Nathan didn't have issues I'd say that Travis is really good shape. The kid can pull the trigger.

If anyone wants any specific updates, please let me know and I'll try to oblige. I know there are a lot of people shooting here that some of us know, so it is a bit hard to keep with all of the scores, but I'll do the best I can.

Dale - the only thing I'll say is that I still don't know how to pull the trigger correctly and consistently. But I'm going to learn.

BigDave,

Thanks for the explanation on the scoring, it clears up a lot of questions. Are the local matches held for this or is this something you just practice on your own. I don't know of any clubs around here that shoot Bianchi Style, unless they're calling it something else.

Give em hell!!!

How about John Pride, Mickey Fowler, Riley and Kelly Gilmore, Justin Blackburn, Carl Bernosky? What about Grant Jeavons?

How is the ladies race shaping up? Vero Koo? Julie G? Helen Jeavons?

I'll stop now. :wacko: Suffering from Bianchi withdrawl.

BigDave,

Are the local matches held for this or is this something you just practice on your own. I don't know of any clubs around here that shoot Bianchi Style, unless they're calling it something else.

It's not real popular on the club level. I think there is one monthly match here in Ohio (at my home club, shooting this Saturday). There is one in Indiana (where BigDave hangs his hat).

It's not a hard match to setup or shoot. The mover stage might be a challenge, and the 50y standards stage require a bay with that distance. But, the NRA has about a dozen or more alternate stages that can be shot in place of the "basic 4" that Dave posted...those 4 being what is always shot at "The Cup".

Here is a link the some NRA Action Pistol info: http://www.nrahq.org/compete/actionpistol.asp

I'm interested in finding out how his prototype front sight is working out. My good friend, Warren Moore (who is currently at the Bianchi doing gunsmith work and selling his Stick Shift) made Jerry a prototype front sight this year. It functions just like the scope mounts that take out the lead on the mover event. ...Jerry's the only guy that currently has one.

Darren

Here's a pic of Jerry with his Open Modified revolver (look ma! no wings!!!)

John and Mickey are absent. Kelly is here, but I'm not sure of Riley. Justin dropped a plate today. And, Grant and Helen are plugging away. Vera dropped a plate, Julie cleaned the Barricade. I'll go and get the scores here after a bit. In the mean time - some photos.

post-182-1148604722_thumb.jpg

post-182-1148604896_thumb.jpg

post-182-1148605074_thumb.jpg

It is medical tape (gauze tape?) rapped around the Barricade shroud. That allows the shooter plant the gun against the barricade and then grip the gun and barricade simultaneously while allowing the slide to cycle.

As for the Open shooters - Doug and Bruce both have 480's on the Barricade, Practical and Plates going into the final event, the Mover, tomorrow. Shooters like TonyH, Don Golembieski, Mike Voigt (I can never remember how to spell that correctly and I'm not looking it up now), Carl Bernosky are all down by only a handful of points (10 or less). Justin did drop a plate.

Robbie still has the lead in Metallic, but Phil and Jerry seem to have put up some good numbers. It is a bit difficult to be sure because the stats are hosed (ex. they have my 2004 score on the Plates posted as an official result - I actually shoot them tomorrow morning)

It all ends tomorrow by 3:15 unless there is a tie up top.

The Q&A meeting was more of the same for those who know anything about them or have been to one in the past couple of years. If you can't hear my eye rolling from here in Columbia, there is something wrong with your hearing.

This is what I know in Metallic:

Rob is down 18 with the plates left, so he's probably looking at a 1902-?X.

Robert Vadaz is also down 18 witht he Mover left. He's cleaned it a number of times in practice, and cleaned it at his first Bianchi Cup two years ago.

Jerry is down 37 with the plates left, which he also should clean.

I'm down 26 (including a *#@!ing dropped plate) with the Barricade left...which hasn't been my strongest event in practice. That plate could very well come back to haunt me!

I'm not sure where Mark Owensby is, but I know he cleaned the plates, so he could be up there, as well. There are surely some other shooters that I'm not mentioning, but the results are pretty hard to track.

As far as Open:

All I know is that Bruce is 1X ahead of Doug going into the mover. The real heartbreaker (one I can definitely relate to) is Don Golembieski. He dropped a plate, after being 2X's up on Bruce and 3X's up on Doug. And the mover, what he has left, is his favorite event! Oh well.

My hats off to Rob, who has been a great help to me this year at this match. As much as I would like to win, I hope he has a clean Match IV (plates). Hell, he's gotta die sometime! :lol:

I hope everyone is having a good match.

Phil

Shooters Q&A session was interesting last night. People at the head table were a little more subdued. The end result saw Craig Ginger from Australia chasing everyone around today with a petition to reinstate prone shooting. May be things are looking up.

Will try and post full results again tonight if possible. Hopefully we will be able to get them on disk this year instead of having Helen re enter them all.

GrantJ :)

Hey guy's thanks for the updates. Keep them coming. I have been following the Bianchi Cup since 1983. I am planning on starting to shoot action pistol again.

The end result saw Craig Ginger from Australia chasing everyone around today with a petition to reinstate prone shooting.

It has been sometime since I have shot action pistol, but I though you could go prone?

M118LR,

They changed the rules on prone shooting a couple years ago so that the only prone shooting allowed is Open guns at the 25 yard lines on Plates & Practical, and all shooters at the 50 yard line on the Practical event. Certainly changed some of the top shooters' scores! Made for a lot of discontent in the ranks since the rule was changed with no input from the shooters. Don Golembieski was on the rules committee that made the change and he missed plates at 20 yds last year and this year too. Makes you wonder!

Alan~^~