Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken Tungston!

Rocket35

Hey- check this out! I was shooting some steel practice this morning and only got about 200 rounds out when I felt something wierd. I also noticed something flash in front of me, but initially thought it was the nickel brass I was using. I thought to myself- "something is not right", because there was a different feel to the recoil. <_< It was really odd, but continued to finish the drill I was on, due to the fact the rain was comming. The gun continued to run and function 100% though. On further inspection I realized something quite amazing. The tungston guide rod broke! The flange at the base of the rod separated!! It now looks like a regular nut and bolt washer! So it was running without a guide rod entirely for about another 100 rounds! I thought this was pretty wierd because that part really doesn't get stressed that much. Or so I thought. Plus it is TUNGSTON for crying out loud. :wacko: In hindsight, I think continuing to shoot without immediate inspection of my firearm was really pretty nieve and foolish. I won't do that again! I just thought I would share this experience so others can learn from a possible "close call". The silver lining is I am getting pretty in tune with my handgun! ;) The gun is a Glock 35 with and extended tungston guide rod. I am back using my backup stainless steel rod from Wolff. Looks like I will be ordering a extended stainless one from B&B in the near future.

1911 tungsten rods break and fall out occasionally. A lot of the time the shooter doesn't notice until later, especially as the 1911 design originally didn't have a rod. Interesting that a Glock kept running too. Tungsten is brittle, so it breaks easily if stressed wrong, which usually happens at the joint between the tungsten part and the steel part.

The broken off rod is always a good conversation piece.

1911 tungsten rods break and fall out occasionally. A lot of the time the shooter doesn't notice until later, especially as the 1911 design originally didn't have a rod. Interesting that a Glock kept running too. Tungsten is brittle, so it breaks easily if stressed wrong, which usually happens at the joint between the tungsten part and the steel part.

The broken off rod is always a good conversation piece.

Thanks for the info Shred. I had about 10,000 rounds on that guide rod, so I guess that was pretty good. Although cost about $65! :huh: I will have to find the actual rod for conversational purposes! :P I have the flange... I will post some pictures as well once I find the rod. It was wearing a groove about 1/3 of the way down the rod also. I think I will stick with stainless steel from now on. :unsure:

Edited by Rocket35

Just wondering ,who was the tungsten guide rod bought from? I have a n extended tungsten rod in my G34 with about 15 to 20k rds on it and have not had a problem yet!

Even with the inital gouging on the tip, (that has stopped)

Jeff

One year at the LimNats, the chrono guys told us they had seen something like 25 tungsten rods break - at that match alone. Out of maybe 375 shooters.

Tom Novak's stainless rod is so fat, it weighs almost the same as the tungsten rods. Comes with one Wolff spring, I'd ask him for a 15lb.

$27

http://www.handgunneroutlet.net/parts/part.htm

or

http://store.novakshandgunneroutlet.com/nho-glogr-204.html

Edited by eric nielsen

One year at the LimNats, the chrono guys told us they had seen something like 25 tungsten rods break - at that match alone. Out of maybe 375 shooters.

Tom Novak's stainless rod is so fat, it weighs almost the same as the tungsten rods. Comes with one Wolff spring, I'd ask him for a 15lb.

$27

http://www.handgunneroutlet.net/parts/part.htm

or

http://store.novakshandgunneroutlet.com/nho-glogr-204.html

This is the one I had in mind. Seeing as he did the work on my slide, it only makes sense right!? :D

I bought my guiderod from CGR. It is a mechanical part, prone to breaking like anything else I guess. I think that I will just try out the extended stainless one this time though. I think I will buy an extra also, just in case. ;)

I sent my Open gun to my smith for some other work after Space City Challenge, and he told me the guide rod had broken and fallen out at some time during the match.

Mark me down for 1 broken captured tungston guide rod. Sheared off the end cap. Low rounds through it. Glockmeister brand rod. I think Im going to stick with stainless for the money.

Trey Small

NRA

USPSA

IDPA

Give me a call in the shop next week. My rods have a lifetime replacement warranty. This is only the 3rd one I have heard of failing with well over 1000 out there.

COOL!! B) Thanks alot Matt! :) I will give ya a call early next week.