Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's Up With The Florida Gators?

Do any of you know how they catch those darn things? :huh: I've seen it enough on the news now, but all you see is them dragging the gator up the bank with a rope and noose around its' neck. It seems like the 'draggin up the bank' part wouldn't be that tough, but the 'getting the noose around the head' part would be the challenge... :ph34r:

No lasso...curiosity got the best of me and I Googled "alligator hunts" for the info.

Gators should be extinct. We nearly had them wiped out years ago. Then a vast right brain conspiracy plotted to save them. Apparently those who sell boots, purse and belt manufacturers and that guy from Australia who only owns one pair of shorts saw an end to their income streams when the last gator bit the dust. They managed to buy a congressman cheap and had the beast put on the endangered species list (the gator, not the congress critter). They serve no useful purpose I can see. They don't taste as good as chicken and they eat snorkeling women. It's high time they joined the rest of the dinosaurs.

No really, you do think they need protection like the Spotted Venusian Pine Borer, don't you? :rolleyes:

...and the snail darter and the spotted owl and the.... Fat Pocketbook.

The Fat pocketbook was first listed on June 14, 1976. It is currently designated as Endangered in the Entire Range. The published range of this species includes: Arkansas, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri, Mississippi, Ohio (please note, the current range of this species may be quite different from the published range).

Just for the record, I've never had one. :rolleyes:

Gators should be extinct. We nearly had them wiped out years ago. Then a vast right brain conspiracy plotted to save them. Apparently those who sell boots, purse and belt manufacturers and that guy from Australia who only owns one pair of shorts saw an end to their income streams when the last gator bit the dust. They managed to buy a congressman cheap and had the beast put on the endangered species list (the gator, not the congress critter). They serve no useful purpose I can see. They don't taste as good as chicken and they eat snorkeling women. It's high time they joined the rest of the dinosaurs.

No really, you do think they need protection like the Spotted Venusian Pine Borer, don't you? :rolleyes:

...and the snail darter and the spotted owl and the.... Fat Pocketbook.

The Fat pocketbook was first listed on June 14, 1976. It is currently designated as Endangered in the Entire Range. The published range of this species includes: Arkansas, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri, Mississippi, Ohio (please note, the current range of this species may be quite different from the published range).

Just for the record, I've never had one. :rolleyes:

As I understand it - and as elaborated upon in a currently active thread here on the Forums - The Fat Pocketbook has become totally extinct in/on the ranges frequented by the USPSA shooter...

Gators should be extinct. ...... They serve no useful purpose I can see. They don't taste as good as chicken and they eat snorkeling women.

My goodness. If you don't get some old 15 footer, gator meat is one of the best tasting around. My Daddy used to "harvest" them when I was a youngster. Like the old boy on the cooking network says..."Good Eats" :D

dj

She was an animal rights activist and vegetarian. The gator was not.

See?? Only the fit will survive... :)

There's a reason these animals are still alive... Dale, I tend to disagree with your statement above... Who are we to wholesale slaughter any species of animal that we feel are dangerous or otherwise inconvenient to us?? Top level predators serve a purpose... Thinning out a huge population using techniques of wildlife management is a good thing - complete elimination is another... (in my opinion) ;)

I can't see eliminating all gators because they ate some stupid people. Probably do need to open up the season a little though.

I'd be more concerned if they were ambushing folks in parking lots or their backyards.

I caught about a 10ft alligator in Florida while bass fishing when my mother lived down there. I was using a Jitterbug and the damn gator smashed it by the cattails. It hooked it on the edge of the lip. I'll I did was bring up closer slowly, it never fought or anything. Just let me pull it in. Took a look at it and cut the line, it was too damn big. I'm rather in favor of keeping all my hands and arms. No Happy Gilmore here.

Flyin40

Gators should be extinct. ...... They serve no useful purpose I can see. They don't taste as good as chicken and they eat snorkeling women.

My goodness. If you don't get some old 15 footer, gator meat is one of the best tasting around. My Daddy used to "harvest" them when I was a youngster. Like the old boy on the cooking network says..."Good Eats" :D

dj

Okay, I'm willing to give 'em another chance to be tasty. I've had gator a couple of times in FL and must have gotten the 15 year old. :(

She was an animal rights activist and vegetarian. The gator was not.

See?? Only the fit will survive... :)

There's a reason these animals are still alive... Dale, I tend to disagree with your statement above... Who are we to wholesale slaughter any species of animal that we feel are dangerous or otherwise inconvenient to us?? Top level predators serve a purpose... Thinning out a huge population using techniques of wildlife management is a good thing - complete elimination is another... (in my opinion) ;)

I'm just insensitive. I like to swim. I like to swim in fresh as well as salt water. Generally I'll go for a live and let live policy, except for gators ajnd mosquitos. If it wants to eat me, without provocation, it needs to go. Who are we to slaughter any species? Why, we are the species with the guns. :)

I can't see eliminating all gators because they ate some stupid people. Probably do need to open up the season a little though.

I'd be more concerned if they were ambushing folks in parking lots or their backyards.

Stupid people die, no question. But gators have harvested little old ladies in their backyard and joggers. If we are too PC to kill 'em all, at least have the Department of Homeland Seccurity send them all to Gitmo. :)

Edited by AikiDale