Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competition Holster

Maxthemutt

I've searched here and elsewhere. It will be for my 17. I've narrowed it down to the following:

Ghost vs CR speed WSM2

&

Blade-tec DOH vs Safariland 5182

My factors are as follows:

1. This would be primarily for local Steel chanllenge type events.

2. I would probably use it for IPSC limited or open, NO IDPA.

3. The draw is the worst part of my shooting. I'm slooow.

4. I have a Safariland 012 for 1911's. I feel comfortable about not dropping the gun with this holster. I'm twice as fast with it vs a Fobus paddle I have.

4a. I've never used the Ghost, is it alot easier to drop a gun with it?

5. Why does it seem only Rob Leatham uses the 5182. Is the DOH that much better than it?

6. I'll be buying a CR Speed belt for this, what is it's width. Where can you get a discount buying the belt, holster and mag pouch combo for CR Speed.

Allright, anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Max

I can't say about the Safariland but I have had the Bladetech DOH and a couple of their double pouches on order for a couple of weeks now and I'll be happy to let you know how it shakes out when it arrives (currently 6 weeks delivery on the model I ordered). As far as the dropped-style, I guess I'm a bit of an "old school" revolver type and I find it a more natural draw with the gun positioned lower which was the primary reason I opted for the Bladetech.

I love the Ghost. If you don't put the gun in the Ghost, then it will hit the ground. Same as any other holster I guess ;)

My wife uses a Ghost for her my/HER Kimber in L-10. Never has she dropped the gun or had it fall out later (not locked). Lock the holster after the stage and it will never fall out. Unlock it before you draw and you'll be good to go.

I use a Guga Ribas for my Para Limited gun and a Ghost for my Glock Limited gun and I've yet to have a problem. I paid attention to what I was doing in the beginning and now it's second nature.

You'll gain a whole 0.10 second on your draw with these type holsters, but I love them anyway.

CR speed is a very good holster. i like it better than the ghost personally.

I would simply go dropped and offset unless your wanting to do steel challenge or real pushy speed eents I know a lot of shooters who lose little to nothing in a DOH... manny didn't you shoot a DOH until world shoot?

Edited by Steve Moneypenny

I used the DOH all year in 2004, it is just as fast as my race holster,

fastest time at a match out of my race holster is a .49, and fastest out of my doh is a .51

at a 4' target.

match speed at distance is identical at .75-.9 depending on the target.

It all comes down to practice with what ya got!!

Manny

I've looked at shootersconnection and Rescomp AU. Does anyone sell a left hand WSMII sm Glock holster for less than $200. I would like to buy the whole thing, holster, belt, and pouches for less than $350.

The DOH is my runnerup now. The thing is I'm way slower out of my non speed 1911 holster vs my 012, and I'm still not fast from that.

Honestly, it sounds like you could use some instruction on good draw technique.

(I think the CR Speed website show a discount for complete "rigs". I'm not sure if the dealers carry that discount as well.)

+1 on what Flex said, and draw dry-firing regularly on a timer. Steve Anderson's dry firing book shaved at least .5 seconds off of my draw from my DOH AND my CR WSM.

PS. I used to be faster with the CR WSM, but the more I practice with the DOH, the less true this becomes.

Affer years of using only Safariland products (all race holster designs) I bought a Hellweg KST Tactical for my G21 for Production Division.

My draw times are virtually identical and the Hellweg is adjustable 50 ways to Sunday in as far as cant and height are concerned and the holster is lined to protect the gun's finish a bit more than say a straight kydex holster would normally be. Plus, the gun is much more secure in the holster than my SV is in a 009 or 012.

pop on www.brownells.com and take a look at the Hellweg. You might find it suitable. ;)