Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do You Think They'll Ever Put A Pda In A Gun Stock Or

A shooting buddy is really into tactical scopes (Hi, there benny B) . He says that you need to know three things to make a really long shot:

1. Distance to target

2. Bullet drop

3. Wind speed/direction.

Yeah, I know most people just tape a bullet drop chart on the gun stock and try to guestimate it from there.

I'm just kicking an idea around. If you had a palm pilot or PDA with the correct kind of program, you could just punch in your distance to target and wind speed/direction and the PDA could already know the bullet's ballistic coefficient, muzzle velocity, and wind bucking ability, and it could give you the amount of correction to make to the scope in terms of clicks, and or mil dots.

The other idea I am kicking around here is all the hunting TV programs I see show 'em with a set of range finding binoculars, hanging around their necks.

Would it be possible to have a combination (laser) range finding rifle scope all in one?

(Maybe, they already make them, I dunno.)

Of course, some would say that is dangerous to "glass" a mountainside with your riflescope. That would be one down side to it. Additional weight and cost would be other downsides too.

Do you all know of any good resources for comparing the trajectories of different bullet weights and calibers?

Anyway....just kicking around some ideas.

Thanks,

Chills

Edited by Chills1994

Here's some PDA ballistics software:

http://www.horusvision.com/hv.cfm?pg=prsf

http://www.cheytac.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=1

I know I've read about a system that lets you connect the PDA directly to the scope. I think it might actually adjust the elevation of the scope to adjust for distance. I can't seem to find it with Google.

Also check this out:

http://www.britannia2000.co.uk/DVSCS.pdf

The device you want is technically possible, but when you combine everything together, the economies of scale diminish and the price would be very high.

For example, PDAs are cheap for their computing power and flexibility because they sell a gazillion of them to geeks and business people.

The cost of a good rifle scope starts at about $1000 and the really good ones IMO are about $2k.

The cost of a good laser rangefinder starts at about $600.

The cost of anything with custom circuit boards and firmware in this kind of volume is going to be pretty expensive ($500 at least).

I know most people just tape a bullet drop chart on the gun stock and try to guestimate it from there.
There is no reason to guess anything but the wind value.

I believe i have seen a laser range finding rifle scope but it was Dang expensive.

Good part about technology.. it simplifies things a lot... a PDA would be great to carry with you.. not in stock though. Too fragile in my opinion... but the inevitable dead battery at a bad time will happen!

Pretty sure Elcan of Canada is working on a digital rifle scope / laser range finder combo that also takes pictures at the time of the shot.

We can't be too far from what you are describing tech wise.

Travis F.

My understanding is that the military has already issued a specification for such a scope: i.e. a point and click auto-rangefinding/auto-adjusting scope.

Snipers and the precison marksmen that perform the sniping role without the title are so incredibly resource effective that it really doesn't matter what the scope costs, but expect the price tag to initially be in the tens of thousands of dollars. The price may come down to the thousands of dollars eventually, but that kind of capability won't be "cheap" for a long, long time.

They should have some tech for this already. I thought the OICW they where trying to build (the huge one with the build in grenade launcher and rifle) was supposed to have a ranging fire control unit to allow for grenade detonation above people hiding behind cover. If I recall correctly they had some working prototypes of that monster. It would seem that they would at least have most of the basic tech figure out and the next generation would be able to at least make it to market at some absurd cost.

They should have some tech for this already. I thought the OICW they where trying to build (the huge one with the build in grenade launcher and rifle) was supposed to have a ranging fire control unit to allow for grenade detonation above people hiding behind cover. If I recall correctly they had some working prototypes of that monster. It would seem that they would at least have most of the basic tech figure out and the next generation would be able to at least make it to market at some absurd cost.

Yep, that is one specification of OICW. I recall reading those specs somewhere in this monster chronology of the 5.56/AR developmental history. Seems there was also a blurb on the testing of air-burst munitions component.

Edited by Middle Man

The M1 Tank cannon has this feature. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/sys...round/m1a1.htm:

"The Abrams also has an onboard digital fire control computer. Range data from the laser rangefinder is transferred directly to the fire control computer, which automatically calculates the fire control solution. The data includes 1) the lead angle measurement, 2) the bend of the gun measured by the muzzle reference system of the main armament, 3) wind velocity measurement from a wind sensor on the roof of the turret and 4) the data from a pendulum static cant sensor located at the center of the turret roof. The Gunner or Commander manually inputs the data on the ammunition type and temperature, and the barometric pressure and the weapon is prepared for engagement. "

All they have to do is build a smaller one. A small PDA or circuit board, servomotors in the scope mounts, a laser rangefinder, and you're there. Of course if it's built on gubmint contract it'll cost five or six hammers and a couple of toilet seats.

Thanks for the replies everyone, especially the funny ones.

Does that combo Glock and cell phone come with a hands free device.

Wouldn't want the other freeway drivers to think I'm brandishing that when I'm actually on a call.

• 3 weeks later...
The Zeiss is cool, but they should take the next step and have the scope adjust the elevation for the measured range.

*That's* the bugaboo. It's not the math. It's the electromechanical issues. Making something that's practical (size and weight-wise), reliable, and with a power-consumption level that requires a reasonable quantity of batteries is where the challenge is. It will happen. It will take some vision and some serious investment before it does though...

• 4 months later...