Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Mag Pouches?

nhglyn

Looking into new mag pouches for my Open setup. Can anyone suggest the best mag pouches on the market now for STI mags and I would like them to fit on my current CR Speed belt. Considerations: speed of draw, secureness of mags while running, and adjustability. Thanks for the input, links to suggestions appreciated.

Looking into new mag pouches for my Open setup. Can anyone suggest the best mag pouches on the market now for STI mags and I would like them to fit on my current CR Speed belt. Considerations: speed of draw, secureness of mags while running, and adjustability. Thanks for the input, links to suggestions appreciated.

SAFARILAND # 771 ON A CR SPEED BELT, B)

Difference between 771's and 773's? Aren't 773's the new model, better when used by doublestack mags? Recommendations?

From Brian's site:

The Model 771 is Safariland's original open-front mag pouch design. It's a little taller (than the 773), so the mag release is a little longer and smoother than for the closed-front Model 773 (latest design), which offers a slightly quicker, snappier feeling release. I prefer the 771's for ten-round single stack mags, because they're a little taller, and the 773's are my favorite for double-stack mags.

Ed

I just changed out my Safariland mag pouches for CR Speed pouches. They are more compact and are easy to adjust. Mine came from Chuck at Shooters Connection with the aluminum adjustment screws already installed. Priced the same as a stock Safariland. I have also tried the Limcat holders and prefer the CR Speed to anything I have used. They also come with an adapter if you want to use them with single stack mags.

Pretty much why most of the top shooters are using CR gear. They work well for everything and are tough. Saul, Travis, Max, Eric, Tilley, Adam Tyc, Jerry, Phil, Estuardo, and a few more of the best shooters in the world use them.

Just changed from CR speeds to SSI Gugas Ribas.

They are the same cost and have at least three times the adjustability and quality of construction. They are very secure and best of all they do not move on your belt like the CR's. I got mine from Rene at speedshooter.com

If you use the Rubas, once you get them where you want lock tite them. I've seen them fall off if you don't keep them tight. The CR shouldn't move, ever. You just use the wedge and put velcro on the inside and they are stuck in place until you make them go somwhere else.

The Ribas are cool for their adjustment, but not near as simple and streamline. Be careful going prone if you have them in the front. If you have a "spare tire" the Rubas is a good option as they can tilt away from the torso.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely love my new Gugas since I retired my Safarilands. Nice adjustability, considering my spare tire (more than one of us I see).

But, as mentioned, they will come off if not kept tight. I just make it part of my gearing up ritual to tighten before I start shooting.

Was using the Guga's but I have moved to the Limcat which I love for there weight (or lack there of) with CR belt, Guga hoslter....

Tried Safariland 773, CR, Guga's.....love the Limcat!