Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Great Match Performance

kcmbang

I get to start this topic since I know Athena Lee will not do it herself. I shot the Space City Challenge yesterday with Athena. She was on fire!!! I have not seen the match results yet but I bet Athena easily won the woman's division as well as placing high in the overall standings. She was leaving me in the dust (or in this case the mud) all day long. I thought about tripping her but I don't think I could have caught her.

Athena, it was a pleasure watching you shoot. It was a thing of beauty. You have once again inspired me to get off my butt and practice! I'll try not to make it as easy next time!

With much respect,

Kay

Thanks, Kay! I honestly went into this match hoping you wouldn't kick my butt (like you soundly did last weekend) too badly. I was very surprised with the results. Thanks very much for the kind and inspiring words. It was a pleasure to shoot with you and Jerry, as always. You too, Roy. That was fun. I know Area 6 next weekend will be fun too :D

Btw, I have Jerry and Renee's plaques and Jerry's Montana Gold Gift Certificates that he won. Will be bringing it over sometime.

Again, thanks! ;)

Then she turns out a top-16 finish at A6, taking high A and high Lady, as well!!!! Nice job, Athena!!!

Hey, PaulW... you got beat by a girl!!!! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Can I add a little here?

Oh well, I will any way! ;)

I had the pleasure of shooting with Athena at the Space City Challenge(and the rest of the squad ;) )

That was the first time I had been around her for more than the usual "Hi how's it going? shooting good? ect.

Not only can she shoot, She is very "bubbly" and fun to be around.....NOT a surprise from all the other Lady shooters I know. :)

You ladies set an example many of us men need to take notice of.........

And did I mention she can shoot too??? :P

Nice shooting Athena, I was the lucky one to have had the privledge.

Hopalong

Oh in case anyone didn't know.......

Kay was in the fight from start to stop, and shot well too!!!!!!

As did the rest of the ladies in my squad.

Hop

New ladies team wins Sportsmans B Division @ STC Regional in Raton, NM! :D

Sponsored by Zanders Sporting Goods / Eley Ammunition. Cathy Winstead (our team captain) comes from the Silhouette shooting arena with many National championships. She is awesome with a rifle and is quickly picking up on shotgun and pistol. Kathy Sedlecky volunteered to stand in for our other teammate (Dawn Boyter) that couldn't make the trek to NM this past weekend. She did an awesome job for the team. Thanks, Kathy.

I cannot begin to describe how much fun it is to shoot this game. Especially the shotgun. When it's over, the 1st thing that comes to mind is wow!... what fun and can we do it again right now? Pretty Please! :wub:

Getting ready for Nationals in San Antonio, TX weekend of June 9-11. Come by and watch or shoot on a pick up team. Sportsmans Team Challenge

Way to go Renee !!!! :)

Woo Hoo !!! :D:D

While on the subjet of Renee.......

When I was so graciously getting trounced by Athena and Kay with their Open guns......

Renee slipped in and Trounced me too with her Limited gun....Taking High Lady Limted!!!!

Sorry to not have said that, but I can only relate one or two a$$ kickings at a time. <_<

Congratulations Renee, you deserve it. :)

Hopalong

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe I'll get to tell you about my own great match performance one of these days but today I have to brag on Athena again. We shot the Area 3 Championships this past weekend. Athena finished 9th overall, won A class, and had five top ten stage finishes.

Max M. really blew the curve by beating the 2nd place finisher by 100 points. After that things tightened up. If you throw Max out of the mix Athena shot 86% of the 2nd place finisher.

Congrats Athena. Enjoyed our weekend. The Steel Challenge is next!

Kay

Thanks, guys and gals! Kay, that was a lot of fun. We should do it again sometime.

At this match, me and Kay were doing a little experiment on pushing our limits. I think we got a little too carried away because I was dropping points like there was no tomorrow but it was exhilirating. There's no rush like pushing yourself almost to the edge. But, as always, I learned a lot in this match. Hopefully, I'll retain it (more than I retain water) and apply it to the next match.

We didn't quite make it to a Master score as we had hoped but it was more of operator error (brain farts here and there, gun problem). Not that shooting 10 stages in one day helped, either but we are confident that it CAN be done. Even with Max shooting his annoyingly, insanely fast runs. We figured if Kay and I combined all our best runs at this match, we'd make it. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. But it's only a matter of time (and a lot of practice...whew) :D

Next stop, Steel Challenge!

• 1 month later...

My turn!!!!

First of all, I just want to congratulate Kay on her 5th World Speed Shooting Championship (otherwise known as Steel Challenge). She was true to her word as kicked butt and took names and finished in the top 16 amidst a sea of very impressive shooters. The theme was no fear and she shot the match fearlessly. I was 8 seconds behind finishing 2nd. I was pretty content with it considering all the pre-match stress I had to put up with.

Congratulations, Kay! That was really awesome. I shall try again next year ;)

Edited by Athena

Thanks eveyone.

I was shooting for a 95 second match but got off to a rough (that means slow) start in the morning. It is so hard to stay aggressive when you are scared of missing! Even when I shot one-for-one my times were a quarter to a half second slower than my practice times. At lunch time Jerry gave me a pep talk and I was able to come back in the afternoon and truely shoot with no fear of missing. It was great! I still didn't consistently match my practice times but was only a few tenths of a second off on many runs. In the end I shot a 99.05 second match. That means I added about 5% to my practice scores. I'll take it!

Athena shot well too considering she didn't get her gun until the Tuesday before the match and half of her ammo didn't show up until the morning before the match. And even though we are competitors Athena cheered me on the whole match. Thanks for the support Athena.

I also have to mention the performances of a few other ladies. Lisa Munson won Limited division with her SVI. Julie Goloski won the IDPA Stock division shooting a S&W M&P. But I was really impressed with Julie's revolver shooting. That's right.....Julie shot the Steel Challenge with a S&W 627 revolver and did a great job!

A couple of other ladies that impressed me were Rebecca Jones and Randy Rogers. Both of these ladies were shooting the Challenge for the first time. Rebecca finished third in Open and Randy finished second in the IDPA Stock division. We will be seeing a lot more of both of these young ladies.

We also had a great time at the Ladies Steel Challenge Camp the weekend before the match. We'll do it again next year. Hope to see some new faces there!

Way to go Kay, Julie & Lisa! Is that a 1st? Lady in top 16?

Actually, Athena's counting is a little liberal. When you count the guys that had both a Limited and Open score (Phil, JJ, and somebody else beat me with both guns) I finished 23rd. If you count just the Open division scores I finished 17th overall. But that is the highest finish for a woman I can remember. Before that the highest finish was 19th. Athena and I have both had a 19th place.

Kay