Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Equipment Curve Catch Up

So, since I've been away from 3-Gun shooting for about two years now, and honestly haven't kept up a whole lot on the new gadgets, any info is appreciated.

Pistol: I'm not worried about this at all. My Viper is more than a winner.

Shotgun: Briley Remington 1100

- Tec Loaders and their gate with the newer tubes (i.e. got the relief cut)

- I'm planning on picking up the Arredondo guides

- I will not run the Arredondo funnel, but has anyone used the DMW metal ones?

- I've got all my chokes

- Ammo has always been:

* Federal Wal-Mart bulk pack: 2-3/4", 3 Dram, # 7.5's or 8's

* Remington Reduced Recoil slugs

* Fiocchi Spreaders

* Hornady TAP buck shot (if the match lets us)

- I'll be mounting a JPoint on him

Rifle: JP/Voigt/Colt AR

- Optics/Sights:

* TA01NSN w/ Tasco Optima

* I sometimes run the JP-SRTS on the handguard

- Bolt Carrier: JP Ultra Light Low Mass Carrier w/ LMOS buffer

- Bi-pod: Harris w/ RPM deployment lever (it's almost never on the rifle)

- Monopod/Mag Carrier: Redi-Mag (most times left in the bag)

- Sling: V-Tac

- Magazines: OKay/Colt 30 rounders with DPMS re-build kits in them

- Mag Pouches: California Comp Works for on the belt/3GunGear drop leg carrier too

I think that's everything. For the shotgun, my only real concern is the ammo and the feed gate for the Tec Loaders. For the rifle, my concern lies really only with the mags. I want to get some 40's and looking at this thread leads me to believe that rebuilding PMI 40's or picking up DPMS 45's is the way to go. Is this the case?

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...632&hl=40+round

Too, since I don't like carrying 40 rounds when 20 will do, I am a little skeptical on my 30's. Has anyone run the Brownell's 30 rounders yet?

Any info and anything y'all think I'm missing is appreciated.

SPC (P) Richard A. White, Senior Medic

249th MP Detachment (EACF)

Camp Humphreys, ROK

Your gear is still good. The Brownells 20s and 30s are good to go right out of the bag. The DPMS 45s are good but make sure its cleaned uo inside at the weld(slag). Welcome back, and thank you for your service.----Larry

Hi Rich,

The only trick you are probably not up to speed on yet are the MagPul followers for AR magazines. Beven is using them exclusively now in AR mags he tunes. They won't nosedive, ever! Better than the old "Greenie"follower by a country mile ;-)

George,

Yeah I figured that on the 30's that I have, I'd go with the Magpul followers and ISMI springs on all of them (if the springs in them didn't get 'er done).

I didn't know Beven is tuning AR mags though. That seals it. He's the only guy that touches my magazines anyways and I need to get some new guts for the pistol mags anyways. I'm going to tell you what. If there is one person that has been there for me since the very old days of IPSC for me (see hanging out at the YZF shop...if you know that place...you're old school) it's been Beven.

Thanks for the info. Keep 'em coming.

SPC (P) Richard A. White, Senior Medic

249th MP Detachment (EACF)

Camp Humphreys, ROK

Richard, we are using the Brownells mags in our duty M4 Commando's with no problems at all. They always stay loaded and I have yet to have a malfunction. Personally I wouldn't waste the money to add to this mag.

Richard, looking over your equipment list the only thing that might be upgraded would be the cqb aspect of your optics. I've used the same ACOG as you have and mounted a J point from JP on it. No more twisting the rifle around just tilt the head up a touch and that red dot is right there. J-point is good from contact to past 50 yd. then back to the ACOG. I got the 8 min. dot as the 4 was not available, turned out to be the best choice IMHO. Glad your back and ready to play. Keith

On the Brownell's mags, I should have asked this sooner. Which spring? Chrome Silicon or the other one (can't remember).

Too, as far as a mag rebuild goes on 30 rounders, when I get home I'll re-test all the ones that I have (I always have my trusty Thermolds too) but am thinking that if the Magpul/ISMI recipe works for 40's, why not 30's. Anyone try this?

Bronco - Yeah, in looking at everything it makes the most sense. I run either an Aimpoint or ACOG here (depending on what we're doing) and love the clarity of the glass in the Trijicon. The downside for back home was while I have a TA-11, I'm not totally keen on shooting it at close targets....yet. So, figured take the best of both worlds, especially when JP started putting out that bracket for the TA01NSN. Just gotta play more with it, but feel it will become second nature pretty quick.

Lastly, to Butch, Todd and crew back home. Do any of you guys practice during the week or only on the weekends? I'll have nothing other than PT to do during the day (twice a day actually, but it's kind of nice actually) so I'll probably be living at the range. Wanted to see if y'all are available, or know of others, that are looking for a practice buddy.

Too, and more so for Butch and Sacramento guys, access to the rifle steel up at Ione would be awesome. Please PM me with who I need to talk to, if this is possible. If I can get at the stuff at Richmond that would be HUGE too. Especially if we can maybe park some flashers out at distance just to work out the kinks.

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

Rich

The MagPul followers are the shiznit in any metal body AR mag. You really only need to change the follower if the mag was a good one to start with as the spring will be fine with a MagPul follower.

Just a heads up with the Mag pull follower, I've had to file the edges and fit them to each of the mags they have been installed in. They are a great follower but I wouldn't just drop one in and expect it to run. Some required only minor fitting others more. Test and tune as needed. Keith

I had to actually work on the inside of some older Sanchez made GI 30's to get the Magpuls to pass through. It wasn't the Magpuls that had the extra material in that case, but the mags that had rough seams and were out of square so they had reduced internal clearance. A dremel and a ball peen hammer fixed that and the followers stayed as they came. Interesting note: The mags that were tight and needed dremeling and peening were also ones that didn't drop free in one of my AR's (all lowers are not the same). Now all of them drop free in all my lowers. All mags are not square either!

None of the Magpul followers I have put into any of my USGI type mags have needed "styling" to work. Magpul does however, make a "Pink" follower that is oversized and if you have those, you will definitely need to grind on them to make them fit.

Bronco is correct about checking to see if there is a good fit first. Just attach the follower to the spring and with the floorplate off, run it through the mag body a few times to see if there is any interference. If not, rock and roll.

Not all mag bodies are equal dimensionally, nor are they beautifully finished or absolutely square inside. The stock follower is designed to be a loose POS fit purposely, the MagPuls are designed to fill the mag body tighter purposely. You figure out why they are tight in some mags and not in others.

I measured all the magpul followers I got and they were all within thousandths of each other with no funky flashing material needing trimming. If they fit OK in some mags and not in others, or they fit fine except for one spot 3 inches down from the top in one mag only, I think I know the answer here. A little birdie tells me it ain't the followers that are the problem.

Me, I would rather uniform the mags to the followers than the other way around. This is what the concepts of universality and parts interchangeability are all about ;-)

Why beat on metal when you can file plastic. I'm not talking large amounts here. If the mag drops free which should be one of the first tests it has to pass than just touch up the follower. I agree that mags should be as square and straight as possible and George is correct, all mag wells are not created equal but its better to work on the cheapest part than the more expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Rich,

I've never been a big fan of two optics on the rifle. I like low-powered variables. There are several new ones on the market that do quite well. The Meopta 1-4x is becoming very popular and the Mueller 1-4x scope is supposed to be released very soon. The new 1-4x Night Force scope has finally hit the market is it is superb, although it costs about the same as a TA-11. If money isn't a concern, then the Schmidt & Bender short dot scope is awesome. All of the scopes have a true 1x reticle. Check them out when you get a chance.

The Brownells mags are very good. I wouldn't worry about replacing the springs unless/until you start having problems with them. I would definitely recommend the ISMI springs & Magpul follower combination on any rebuilds.

Don't worry about the 45 rounders. They can be a PITA to get running. Just rebuild your 40's and you'll be good.

Welcome home.

Erik

Edited by Bear1142

• 1 month later...

Okey doke. Here's what we've got so far. The down time of no shooting is expensive!

Pistol:

Rusty Kidd Viper (never an issue)

- I'll be replacing all the springs and giving it a thorough cleaning

- (I should probably send it back to Rusty)

- I'll test all the mags, but will probably order new springs/followers from Beven

Shotgun:

No worries, but would like some input on ammo

Rifle:

My trusty Colt/JP/Voigt (this was where most of the money went)

- I'm going to run the SS-LMOS

- New springs everywhere

- Optics: TA01NSN w/ JPoint (watch me wish I ran my TA-11)

- Add-ons: The same as stated above.

- Mags:

* 4-6 30-rounders rebuilt with Magpul followers and ISMI CS springs

* 2 40-rounders (PMI) rebuilt as above

* No Beta's. I'll probably regret this too, but don't want to deal with it now

As for gear, I'm going to probably switch from my trusty Ghost to the CR Speed WSM, for retention purposes, but will only switch after I see the stages. If I could have found the STI Airsoft Open gun, I'd have had a Kydex or nylon holster made for it. Still might modify a Ky-Tac.

I have California Comp Works mag pouches for the AR and trays for the shotgun. I'll be adding 3GunGear's Tec Loader holster and MAYBE the T-Rig for AR mags if I've got to carry both AR mags and pistol mags. I say 'maybe' because it's never been an issue before, so may just bail on that.

Whew....that's probably it....I think. I've done a training/range schedule from when I get home to the Nationals. Verifying zeroes, chroning, drills, etc. Both with the .22 Upper and the fully built rifle. The shotgun is going to be fun to play with again. Pistol, just need to spend time on the trigger. For all, make the most of the time I have to practice and make the practice...PERFECT!

Now...if I can just get all the paperwork and crap done. I'm tellin' you. Don't mail stuff FROM Camp Humphreys...EVER. I sent an Express Mail packet to USPSA for my membership renewal and entry. Got returned 'cause the post office messed up. So, extra match fee and now I find out I might have to fly back to be a witness in a court martial. CRAP! Anyways...I have an appointment with JAG on Monday to discuss.

Any more input is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Rich

Erik - I know what you mean about multiple optics. I'm going to play with the Leupold MR/T 1.5-5x with their illuminated circle reticle. Too, I'm going to try just practicing with my TA-11 more and see what happens.

Shotgun:

No worries, but would like some input on ammo

I only feed my Remmy Winchester AA. My Limited Remmy gets Win AA Light Targets (I did have to do a little work to get them to work well) and my Open Remmey (JP Comp) gets Win AA heavy targets or Win Super Sporting Clays (they recoil like light targets with the JP Comp).

So...came up with another question.

How does the Wal-Mart bulk box of Federal and Winchester ammo due on Benelli's? Meaning, is there enough "umph" to cycle it quickly/reliably. I'm talking about the bulk 100 round box of 1-1/8oz., like 3 Dram, 2-3/4" # 7.5's and 8's.

Thanks in advance.

Rich

ETA: Oh...forgot. Anyone have a good source for spreaders?

Edited by uscbigdawg

The Winchester stuff is very spotty on the crimp. Some of it looks like an umbrella instead of a shell. Now the Federal is about all I ever use at matches in the U.S. as does Taran and Kelly Neal I believe, I absolutely adore this stuff and it is about all My Benelli gets in the U.S.

Federal Multi-Purpose.... F#$k Yea!! KURT