Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tgo Wins Ss Classic / Single Stack Nationals

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always knew the weather in Barry could be unpredictable, but I never expected to have that much snow on the ground in April. But I knew it was worth freezing my butt off when I saw all the beautiful guns Kimber and Colt supplied for the prize table. And that Wilson Combat side event sure was a blast!

If one wants to write a story about a match, shouldn't one attend the match?

Not necessarily. I've written up (and attended) a couple of Nationals already. In the aftermath, I realized that, aside from the fun factor of shooting the match, there was nothing really necessary to write the article(s) that absolutely required I attend it. Everything I need to write the article can be gotten from examining score sheets, equipment lists, and talking to people who were there, including the top place finishers. Not to say the day won't come when I attend more Nationals, and write them up. That's certainly the way it's normally done.

If one wants to write a story about a match, shouldn't one attend the match?

Not necessarily. I've written up (and attended) a couple of Nationals already. In the aftermath, I realized that, aside from the fun factor of shooting the match, there was nothing really necessary to write the article(s) that absolutely required I attend it. Everything I need to write the article can be gotten from examining score sheets, equipment lists, and talking to people who were there, including the top place finishers. Not to say the day won't come when I attend more Nationals, and write them up. That's certainly the way it's normally done.

Weatherwise it was a typical Single Stack Classic. It usually rains one day or the other. The temps were in the mid- to upper 50's until noon. It warmed up (60 or so) after lunch, but then the wind came up and became the problem. However, I will run shooters in the wind anytime over the rain. While it was not a heavy downpour until after the shooting was done, it was a pretty steady 1/4-1/2 inch an hour rain. Luckily it had been pretty dry and the ground soaked up most of the water with few problems. A couple of the ranges on top got a little slick due to being on grass, but anyone who has been at PASA should have recognized that was going to happen and been prepared.

Most shooters took the weather in stride and with the long term forcast predicting rain, most brought their good rainwear. The design crew for this match has taken rain into account and that is why we do not use beartrap/clamshell type targets as they cannot be kept dry or consistant in the rain. The match had a lot of steel so those targets did not need to be bagged.

I am proud of the job the staff and shooters did. Even with the rain and wind the match was done within 20 minutes of the scheduled time. Even if it had kept raining, I feel we would have been done by 1800 or so.

Jay Worden RM :D

Jason, Congrats on the 1st place finish in C. As my beloved Cubs say, "Wait til next year". I'm hoping on shooting this next year.

Scott,

Thanks. It was a lot of fun. It was great seeing so many familiar faces there also. I'll be back next year if its at all possible. We're all going to the Limited Nat's this year also. Find a way to go to the SS match next year and we'll all travel together. I didn't get to watch them shoot but Rob, Kelly, and Mike shot the lights out. See you at Tues. Night Steel? Go Braves!!!!!