Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cz 75b For Limited

rhgunguy

This weekend I shot both my Para 14.45 Limited and my CZ-75B. Incredibly i did better with the CZ and I was wondering what you folks would do to a 9mm CZ-75 for major. In particular I was wondering about the availability of mag extensions. I realize that shooting 9mm will put me at a disadvantage, but I am very confidant in my CZ and all my hits were A's(a first) and they were quick A's(another first).

Well you will have to shoot in open if you want to use a 9mm. Then you'll want a comp, a dot and the longest mags you can manage. I've had good luck with the CPMI bases on standard CZ mags and even on some of the 20 round mags. The most I can remember getting in any of those was 26. If you want to stay in Limited you'll want the CPMI pads on a standard mag or the new mags that CZ is shipping with the SP01.

-ld

if you want to shoot your 9mm CZ in limited..no need to load to major..since you are minor PF no matter what you do..

get the SP01 19round mags..or add on the CPMI basepads or Miossi Gun Works sells +3 pads..

if I were to do something like that..

and I were setting up for Limited only...not a gun that would also be legal in production..

I would change:

sights to CZ competition

hammer to CZ competition

trigger to CZ steel single action trigger and do a trigger job

send to EGW and have them weld on a magwell and really open it up

either weld up the thumbsafety or change out to the 75bSA safeties.

install a CZ85 mag release ( slightly more extended)

buy some SP01 19 round mags..or buy the +3 basepads from Miossi Gun Works..

other choices..

buy a CZ Tactical Sport in .40

buy a CZ 75SA in .40

buy a CZ 75SA in 9mm and you can at least save some money on the thumb safety work, etc. and the SA frames have a beavertail.

or..just buy the mags and go shooting.. :D:D

FYI..there are some mags for sale in the classifieds with ext basepads..not sure if 140mm, but might be worth checking..

Edited by eerw

Sorry, I ment to say Limited, not major. Long day.

So, if I read you guys right, Sp-01 mags will work in my -75; and the other CZs would feel the same as my -75. I wish I could handle a Tactical Sport, but my local gunstore guy is a little hesitant to order something that I might not buy.

the 75bSA models are the same size frame, but have a beavertail..very comfortable to shoot and allows a slightly higher grip..same beavertail offered on the SP01.

The SP01 mags fit all the 75b/85b based guns..

the TS is a slightly bigger frame..different mags, different parts..

lot of info on CZs here from Matt Mink..also check out czforum and czshooters for info.

also the strictlyipsc website has a lot of really good info on the CZ std IPSC which is the predessor to the TS.

Edited by eerw

What would you say was the difference in shooting between your P14 and the CZ?

The CZ feels better in my hand and points more naturaly. It obviously has a ton less felt recoil. It was my first gun and I am very confidant in it. The Para on the other hand has slam-fired on me and the elevation set screw keeps working itself loose. FWIW they were both bought used.

Any reason not to shoot the CZ in Production division? Everybody in Production shoots with a non single-action first shoot...with 10 rounds in their mags...and only with Minor power factor scoring.

I know that some new shooters worry about not having enough ammo for making up misses and such, but you seem pretty confident and able in the Alpha shooting department.

Basicaly I would like to move up to Limited, it is what I am shooting the Para in. I just haven't been progressing with the Para. The only reason that I decided to bring out the CZ again was a budy and I are going to shoot production with the loser buying the winner lunch. A kind of battle of the wundernines. His Sig vs. my CZ. I just did so well with it that I thought, "Hey, mabey I should use it for production also". I just point, pull and a hole appears in the A zone or steel falls.

After banging my head against a wall with my Para and XD-40(the gun I used when the Para was getting fixed which was more often than not) it felt good to do good.

Basicaly I would like to move up to Limited, it is what I am shooting the Para in. I just haven't been progressing with the Para. The only reason that I decided to bring out the CZ again was a budy and I are going to shoot production with the loser buying the winner lunch. A kind of battle of the wundernines. His Sig vs. my CZ. I just did so well with it that I thought, "Hey, mabey I should use it for production also". I just point, pull and a hole appears in the A zone or steel falls.

After banging my head against a wall with my Para and XD-40(the gun I used when the Para was getting fixed which was more often than not) it felt good to do good.

You're like me...I have shot so many different guns..its laughable..some I shoot well, others I don't....

Edited by eerw

• 4 weeks later...
Any reason not to shoot the CZ in Production division? Everybody in Production shoots with a non single-action first shoot...with 10 rounds in their mags...and only with Minor power factor scoring.

I know that some new shooters worry about not having enough ammo for making up misses and such, but you seem pretty confident and able in the Alpha shooting department.

I can give my own reasons for shooting a 9mm CZ-75B in limited, rather than Production.

With the 10 round mag limit in production, I was spending way too much of my mental energy worrying about when/where to reload. I was more focused on the reloads than I was on the shooting.

I was also used to using that 9mm CZ for steel, so I converted it to SA-only and used 20 round mags. My other CZ retained it's DA/SA, but it was "the other gun" the one I rarely shot and it feels just a tad different (despite making it as identical as possible except the trigger itself). So I choose to shoot the more familair gun/gear in Limited.

I have since started shooting the DA/SA CZ in production again, but I find myself spending too mush of the walkthrough time planning reloads, rather than properly visualizing myself shooting the stage well.

But that one day I shot my best classifier ever it was 78% in Lim, had I been in Production where a 9mm CZ-75 belongs it would have been 103% according to the classifier calculator. :blink: I am still unclassified in Production.

I have since started shooting the DA/SA CZ in production again, but I find myself spending too mush of the walkthrough time planning reloads, rather than properly visualizing myself shooting the stage well.

That's one of the biggest challenges about Production (and Limited 10) - factoring the reloads into your stage strategy. Half the stages I've shot wouldn't have been nearly as challenging (or fun) if it was just "hose fest". I guess everyone is different, but I prefer the challenge of having to develop a total plan. It has to be part of your "visualization" or the stage won't be successful.

That's one of the biggest challenges about Production (and Limited 10) - factoring the reloads into your stage strategy. Half the stages I've shot wouldn't have been nearly as challenging (or fun) if it was just "hose fest". I guess everyone is different, but I prefer the challenge of having to develop a total plan. It has to be part of your "visualization" or the stage won't be successful.

I get the stages figured out just fine, I am not blowing it by going to slidelock or anything.

I just find myself thinking "after these three targets get the reload" while I am shooting targets. That conscious thought about something other than sight alignment while shooting is detrimental to my performance.