Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Gun For Practical Shooting?

Frank79

Well I may start a vicous debate over it, but whats the best gun to use for practical shooting? My dad has a few pistols that he will let me use.

Glock 19

Colt gold cup (70 series I believe)

beretta 92fs

Sig p220 and p226

I've shot them all and they all shoot great. Really I can't decide between the last 4. I'm really not crazy about the Glock. What do you reccomend?

If interested in L10 or Single Stack the Gold Cup works just fine. I have shot mine in L10 for years.

If you fancy Production go with Beretta or the Glock - both well established in the sport.

But really, it comes down to what you like to shoot. And the 9mm's are a lot less expensive than the 45's

things to consider when selecting the right gun for you.

the gun's natural pointability. some guns point better than others for any given person. try each.

grips. a gun with changeable grips can make a huge difference it how it feels.

trigger pull. the colt has a nice short trigger pull that many shooters prefer. some find it faster than the other guns you listed. it depends on what you prefer.

division. for production division, all but the colt quality. for limited 10, they all qualify. for limited, they all qualify.

my preference? i'm a 1911 type guy. the gun fits me perfect. it points where i point, i can put my favorite grips on it (Hogue rubber with finger grooves), the trigger pull is short and fast.

your preference? try the guns you listed and see which seems to fit you best. after all, its not the gun that wins matches, its the shooter. pick what fits you best and have fun.

Call Sig, buy a fistful of extra mag springs. Particularly if you are shooting German made mags. (The new, Italian mags by MecGar seem to be good mags) Buy an extra recoil spring or two while you're there.

Rotate the mag springs every 100 cycles.

Then, shoot the bejeezus out of that 226. ;)

Shoot the gun that's reliable. One failure can ruin an entire match, not only your time but also your enjoyment. Been there, done that. I switched to a Glock 35 and have only had one failure that's the gun's fault. My SIG has also been reliable, although I do not shoot it in matches.