Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger For My Sti

jasmap

I am having a pistol built for me and on my STI I have only used the curved trigger that comes on the base Edge pistol. What are the advantages/disadvantages to a short curve, long curve, flat trigger, etc..? For some reason I like the coolness factor of the flat trigger but I wanted to find out some experiences with it and other triggers.

I've been using flat triggers for years (since EGW came out w/them) although I have long fingers, "first contact is first contact" no matter how long your fingers are, Press your trigger finger on a table, I'll bet it contours flat! Why do we have curved triggers anyway?

Find your comfort zone for length, Try FLAT!

john ( 9x21 ), you asked why do we have curved triggers, here's the answer. I like a bit of curve in the trigger because it allows more contact area for your finger and will actually make a light trigger feel even lighter. more finger touching the trigger spreads the load of the pull over a larger area and thus the trigger feels lighter. ;)

I have big hands. To get the longest trigger reach possible so I can get better contact with the pad of my finger, I have a long flat trigger on my new gun. I'll see how it works this season!

+1

I also have big hands and can hook my finger almost to the 2nd knuckle with the regualr curved trigger. The long flat/gunsmith fit trigger works good for me so I can use the tip of my finger.

Neal in AZ

Edited by Intel6

I like the Enos triggers, the downward curved one but then that's me.

Crusher,

I've seen it but never used it. Can you or someone give me some info on the Enos downward curve? Thanks.

The triggers are SVI with the interchangeable stirrup Brownells carries them as does SVI. There may be the need to modify the bow and or replace the bow with an STI (stainless as opposed to titainium for fitting in a STI grip)

Curved trigger inserts (and trigger)

I run the downward curved on my single stacks on my ltd gun it is a normal curved and will replace this the next time I seperate the grip from the frame.

The triggers are SVI with the interchangeable stirrup Brownells carries them as does SVI. There may be the need to modify the bow and or replace the bow with an STI (stainless as opposed to titainium for fitting in a STI grip)

Curved trigger inserts (and trigger)

I run the downward curved on my single stacks on my ltd gun it is a normal curved and will replace this the next time I seperate the grip from the frame.

Thanks Crusher. What do you feel are the benefits for you with the downward curve as opposed to the standard curve?

Last yr I had quite a few times where I ran into trigger freeze. I always assumed it was it was from forcing and trying which led to tension in my hand. Over the winter I switched to a long flat trigger and what a difference. I also have large hands and long fingers. I used the Enos insert last yr, the short one and to get my finger on the trigger I literally had to pull my finger back which places tension in my knuckles.

Try this

Stick your trigger finger out and then pull it back all the way. You notice all the tension in your knuckles. Try to move your finger quickly, with all that tension its next to impossible.

Then just move your finger out slowly until you can move your finger quickly without any tension. Now just place your finger and the trigger and experiment. The good thing about the inserts is you can get several and try them out.

I figured this out this past winter when I built a Caspian Single stack 45. The trigger I had and extremely short, I mean short. I had to literally pull my finger back to get it on the trigger which created so much tension in my finger I had a hard time shooting quickly.

So this got me thinking. I switched the trigger in the single stack and it fixed the problem so I just went on to my STI. I found that my finger had alot of tension in it. Just switched the insert and noticed an immediate improvement. I had some splits I have never had before in the first practice session, .10 and .11.

Flyin40

Edited by Flyin40

Don't ask me why, but I like flat triggers. I just bought a STI Gunsmith trigger from Brazos and was able to cut it, tune it, and install it in about 45 mins. I put my SV ITS short, flat trigger in my spare parts kit.

If you're handy with a belt sander and a pair of calipers, it's a job that's totally doable by the home gunsmith.

Personally, I think that having the proper reach is important, beyond that, I think the shape doesn't make a heck of a lot of difference one way or another. I do know that I definitely prefer smooth triggers over anything serrated.