Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G35 Mags

JFD

I've got 10 mags for my G35, all purchased in the last 2 months. All are full capacity mags and I'm using Dawson extensions and the supplied springs.

19 reloadable rounds is no problem. I can cram 20 rounds in the mags, but there is absolutely ZERO room left. If I can manage to get a mag seated there is a huge amount of pressure on the slide, and I feel there's no way the gun will function correctly. Doesn't matter anyway because I don't want to add 30 seconds to my reload.

Now it must be time to cut a spring and see what happens. I've never had to do a thing to my Para mags to get 21 rounds in there, so I have no experience with this kind of thing.

Is there anything I need to know prior to cutting up one of these springs? A certain place to cut, or no way should I cut anything?

I've looked and looked here, but it appears this combo gives some people 20 reloadable rounds and only gives others 19. No suggestions have been found to resolve the "problem". I don't care if all the mags hold 20, but I would really like it if 2 or 3 did to start stages. My wife will end up with this gun and I don't want to short-change her as most Limited shooters getting 20+1 even though I realize 19+1 would get the job done.

I'd maybe feel a little guilty since I've got 21+1, so I want to give this a good effort.

Any help would be appreciated.

So I should have bought those LEO marked mags from CDNN?

If that's the problem, then I'd buy a few more in a heartbeat.

One nice thing about the Glock is that I can buy 3 mags for the price of a single Para mag :D If anyone will confirm the LEO mags from CDNN would be my best bet, I'll order some tonight. If they don't solve the problem, then I still have 3 more full capacity mags. Extra full cap mags are NEVER a bad thing since I believe the Brady Crapola will be reborn very soon.

I'll admit that the 22 rounds in my Para have only given me a clear, certain, and envied advantage 3 times since I bought the gun (little over a year ago), and I normally drop it with more than a couple of rounds in it, AND 19+1 had no effect on my first match with the Glock (5th place on the 1st stage before the calls from work started and my brain faded), BUT......I'd really like that 20th round.

Thanks for the replies.

Check out www.handgunneroutlet.net. The +1 followers are probably just what you are looking for. I have the Arredondo extensions and got a very tight 20 rounds. After I installed those I have a very easily reloadable twenty. I am not in the slightest disappointed that I didn't get the extra round. I was looking for the easy reloading part. And the different mag bodies will vary, so some will get that +1 round.

JFD,

Run the mags with 19 and be happy. You aren't going to lose a match because another guy got one more round in his magazine than you. Your mags will probably be more reliable over a longer period of time. I only run 18 in my SV 40 mags. During the last four years, I've had one magazine related malfunction when I didn't clean one of my mags after it got dropped in some sand. I've had the same ISMI springs in the mags for the last four years. Stick with 19 and enjoy the confidence that reliable magazines will bring you.

Erik

I had the same problem with Arredondo base pads. Somebody told me to tap the bottom of the mag after loading round # 10, and it would settle the rounds. I can now get 20 in and still have a little compression room. If I don't tap the mag between rounds 10 and 15, 19 is all I can get. Hope this works for you.

I never had a problem getting 20 in my Glock mags when I shot a 35 in Limited. I used 2nd Gen FML (prebans) with Arredondo followers, and either the Arredondo or Taylor Freelance basepads. It really depends on how old their mold was when the mags are made.

Bear1142

That's what I've been doing so far, but it irks me that I can't get that 20th round in when somebody else can. I also like to play with my equipment and the gun mods were finished a few weeks ago :(

After receiving my orders from CDNN and Chuck yesterday, I assembled, loaded up, and took my 9 mags with Dawson followers/springs (these are Wolff springs I think) to the range this morning. Mostly I was shooting my Para and had no extra Glock ammo, but before I fired my last 2 mags I crammed the 20th round in one of my first extended mags.

Hmmmmm......It fit really tight, but it DID fit. It also wasn't terrible to get seated, not easy, but not terrrible. Using major PF ammo it functioned just fine loaded 20+1. I might be plenty happy enough if that proves to be the case with extended testing. I need to try it with minor ammo as well. I don't care if I reload to 19 rounds mags, especially if they are 100% reliable.

Of course I'm going to try a few of the followers nheiny13 mentioned (thanks :) ) because of my urge to play.

I did prep the mags using kind of the method carpcop mentioned, but I don't think at the same number of rounds in the mag. I'll try that too (thanks :) ).

I was happier today over shooting pretty good with major PF loads than I was getting that 20th round, so I'm still really happy I got the Glock. The only question is when I'm going to switch my wife over to that (and Limited) from her/my L-10 Kimber. She did not care for the major loads, but will be good to go with the 145 PF minor loads she tried last week.

I'm still shocked that nobody has suggested mods to the springs, but maybe I've read too many S_I threads ;) The gun has to be reliable, so I'm going to leave them alone unless Flex shows up and says I'm stupid for not cutting a coil. Since he's already posted, I guess the springs will remain stock and I'll just wait for the rest of them to "take a set" and see if they will hold 20 for the start, reloading to 19.

As it is, I'll be the one reloading all my wife's mags when she switches to the Glock. Hell, I can barely top them off myself.

I have never had to cut a coil.

I hate the new mag bodies (the ones that come with the #6 followers).

I've been shooting Production as of late, so I've refrained from piping in on what it takes to get to 20+1 (I won't even mention my 21 +1 setup ;) )

Thanks Flex.

Since I have at least 1 mag that will hold 20 for the start, AND I don't care if I reload to anything more than 19, I'm now good to go. If I need more than 40 rounds for any non-standards stage then I have worse problems than mag capacity :P

Of course I will end up ordering an extra spring so I can cut on it, but that's just to keep myself occupied. Who knows, I might learn something useful to some folks here....

A half coil might make the extended mags reloadable with 20 rounds. I just don't know, and now HAVE to find out, at what point reliability suffers.