Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Solution Do You Use To Clean Eyeglasses

OK here's one that's been buggin' me for a while:

I had perfect vision for my most of my life. But now that I'm over 45, my vision seems to have gone to hell, although mostly just close-up. Obviously I wear glasses now and it's still something new to me, but a now necessary thing. To clean 'em I like the 3M glasses cloths that WalMart sells. But I haven't found a cleaning solution I'm particularly fond of yet. I've heard/read that the solutions either have ammonia or alcohol in them as the active ingredient. Now I mostly use the cheap solution that I get at WalMart (hey, I go there to get WWB 9mm OK!) which appears to have ammonia in it. The nice lady where I bought my glasses said that I could just fill the little bottles with alcohol for cheaper. I get lots of 91% isopropyl alcohol (OK from WalMart dammit) that I keep for mild degreasing for sight painting, Loktiteing etc. that I could use but haven't tried it yet. My little WalMat ammonia cleaner bottle is about out. What should I get next? or am I thinking too much?

Edited by Eager

I use Lens Cleaner from VisionCenter. Works real well on my glasses but most times I use WipeNClean that you can get at most discount stores like Costco or Sams.

You definately want a liquid and best for disposables so that you don't pick up dust in a cloth and then scratch your glasses. Never use tissue paper because there are microscopic bricks of wood in there that will scratch.

The liquid you use should evaporate in seconds.

This works for me:

I use hot water at a decent pressure (from a faucet) to first wash off anything on both sides of the lenses. I then use one drop of dish washing soap (dawn, etc.) on one lense and spread it with finger and thumb to completely cover both sides of each lense with light pressure. I'll also wipe the nose pads and ear pieces with the soap. Last step is a longish hot water rinse to remove all soap and heat the lenses and frame up. I'll dry the lenses and frame with light pressure using a paper towel (not recommended by lense people but I've done it for years). Usually the glasses are still warm enough to evaporate any remaining liquid. I normally keep lenses for 5+ years and eye docs have repeatedly commented that the lenses are not scratched badly and are usually surprised about paper towels being used to dry them.

I've done this over the last 2 decades with glass (tinted) then plastic (anti-scratch coating) and finally polycarbonate lenses. If you don't have lenses yet, look into the polycarbonate lenses. That is safety glasses lense material and also what they use for "thin" plastic lenses. It's very lightweight and less weight makes the glasses more comfortable to wear especially with the larger lenses I prefer. It'll also give you some ballistic protection which is comforting around shooting events.

Edited by 1911user

Wash the glasses with dishwashing liquid. Rinse with hot water.

Dry with a soft, clean, cotton cloth.

Never make the mistake of 'cleaning" dirty glasses by just rubbing them with a cloth... the dirt on the lense grinds scratches into it. As said by others, best practice is to use fast running warm water to rinse off as much crap as possible. Then, a mild soap and light finger pressure followed by rinsing to get them really clean. Once the lenses are free of dirt, wipe clean with a soft cotton cloth (old T shirt is perfect).

BTW: if you do get polycarb lenses, scratch coating is a must. That material is softer than regular plastic and scratches easier. It's more resistant to shattering (because it's softer... duh!). I screwed up and forgot to order scratch coat on a pair and that was dumb... already seeing fine lines on the lenses (a whole two weeks old).

This works for me:

I use hot water at a decent pressure (from a faucet) to first wash off anything on both sides of the lenses. I then use one drop of dish washing soap (dawn, etc.)

BTW, one of the best cleaners for glasses (both lenses and frames) is MPRO cleaner. It's basically concentrated soap. When you get that cruddy green junk built up around the frame and nose pieces, just hose the whole glasses with MPRO 7 and then use a soft toothbrush on the frame and rinse the glasses.

Works really well.

Edited by bountyhunter

Wash the glasses with dishwashing liquid. Rinse with hot water.

Dry with a soft, clean, cotton cloth.

The above is the only truly safe way to clean plastic lenses. Everything else has moderate to severe scratch potential. Old clean 100% t-shirts are the best drying cloths barring the old, linen kitchen towels my grandma used to make.